Don Taylor: TAYLOR / BANCROFT Marriage, Native American?

  • bbffrrpp
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 7, 2008
      Hi Don. I accidentally found a piece of information this morning
      which shows that a couple of my "assumptions" were wrong. *

      I now believe that it was Miss Elizabeth BANCROFT, daughter of Robert
      BANCROFT and Elizabeth PICKETT, who married in Middleton, MA, in
      Sept. 1772, to William TAYLOR. And, the good possibility is that
      it was "this" Mrs. Elizabeth TAYLOR who remarried in Middleton in
      Mar. 1789 to Asa MOOHOO. Asa was a Native American man from
      Stoughton, MA.

      (The Ponkapoag Tribe was in Stoughton and Canton, MA. And that is
      where Robert BANCROFT and Elizabeth PICKETT were "living together" in
      the 1740's. I'm told that Native Americans and "Whites" could not
      legally marry in MA until 1800.)

      Robert and Elizabeth moved to Middleton, MA, where they had their 10
      to 12 children. Their other daughter was Sarah BANCROFT, who
      married William WILKINS in MA in the mid 1760's. William and Sarah
      seem to have moved to "Maine" in the 1770's - where I hope they had a
      7th child, Samuel, there.

      So, I need to find out when and where Robert and Elizabeth BANCROFT
      died. And, my assumption that "this" Mrs. Elizabeth BANCROFT was
      the one who married William TAYLOR was wrong.

      So this is less confusing, the "WILKINS book" says that Robert
      BANCROFT was a Native American man. And, he was living with the
      Ponkapoag Tribe in the 1740's. So, his 10 or 12 children did have a
      connection to that Tribe. So, there is a possibility that William
      TAYLOR was also a Native American man - or had a connection to them.

      Don, does this tidbit of information help you in deciding whether
      your TAYLOR's could have been Native Americans ?

      Betty (near Lowell, MA)

      P.S. Another part of my very strong mystery is that the Samuel
      WILKINS mentioned above, reportedly born in "Maine" in 1770's, seem
      to have married "someplace" around 1795 to 1800 to an Electra "Leeta"
      _________. This marriage is not recorded anywhere in "Maine."
      But, their 5 children seem to have been born in Unity, Maine, between
      1800 and 1820. (They moved to Amity, Maine, in 1830.)

      IF William and Sarah (BANCROFT) WILKINS were his parents, and Robert
      BANCROFT was his grandfather, then Samuel could have very well come
      down to visit his relatives in the Ponkapoag Tribe and found a woman
      to marry. That could have been Electra. And that could be why I
      cannot find their marriage record; they might not have been legally
      married - IF it was before 1800.

      P.S.2 I am descended from 2 of the children of Samuel and Electra
      (?) WILKINS. So, Mary WILKINS and her younger brother, George,
      could have had a Native American mother, and a half-Native American
      grandmother.

      J. Calvin KIDDER and Mary WILKINS in Calais, Maine, had a son, Joseph
      KIDDER, who returned from the Civil War to marry his cousin,
      Clarissa WILKINS, daughter of George WILKINS and Mary O'NEAL.

      "Joe" and "Clara" KIDDER's first child was George "Sanford" KIDDER,
      b1870 in Princeton, ME, who was my great-grandfather.

      My aunts firmly believed that there was a Native American wife on the
      KIDDER family-tree. This was not exactly true. It was the WILKINS
      family-tree where the Native American wives were present.

      Great-Grandpa KIDDER's wife, Louise (RICE) KIDDER in Winchester, MA,
      used to take her children down to Cape Cod every summer - around
      1915 - to spend a week camping with a Native American lady. No one
      knows who this lady was. (The lady might have been a relative of
      Grandpa's mother up in Princeton, Maine.)

      Sorry this isn't directly related to Rhode Island !
    • Donald Taylor
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 7, 2008
        Hi Betty,
          It really doesn't help me to decide if my Taylor's were part native American, but it is one more bit of coincidence that keeps me thinking that maybe it is so. My earliest Taylor, a John b. abt 1680 married Naomi Jordan at Milton in 1705. Naomi was a daughter of John Jordan and Naomi Sylvester and they definitely did live with the Ponkapaug Tribe and are mentioned as some of the earliest white settlers of Canton. John Jordan's origin is unknown as is his son-in-law John Taylor's origin. Although we think John Taylor might have been the son of Abraham or Isaac Taylor of Concord and later Scituate, Mass. So, either of them could jave been native or part native. But the Jordan's were known as white settlers. Like you, I keep searching for tidbits and hopeing to find some evidence either way.
        Thanks for keeping me in mind as you go.
        Don Taylor