Re: [RI_Ancestors] Fall trip to RI

  • Dave & Sharon Ballou
    Message 1 of 11 , Jul 1, 2008
      I am trying to find out more about my g,g,g,grandfather who was
      listed as a Private in 1781 under Peek or Moury in the Rhode
      Island militia. I think he was just a young country boy when he
      enlisted. His name was Oliver Ballou.

      David G. Ballou
      Ozark, Missouri

      On 6/29/08, graveyard_hound <graveyard_hound@...> wrote:

      > I received this email and thought I would pass it on. Figured someone
      > in the group might like to email this person directly with some
      > suggestions.
      > Julie
      >
      > From: "Sue Babcock" <ssusan19old@... <ssusan19old%40qwest.net>>
      > Subject: [Washington Co RI] Historic Washington Co, RI
      >
      > >I am planning a trip to RI in Sept to do some genealogy and historical
      > > research. I am interested in the Colonial and Revolutionary War time
      > period
      > > and was wondering if there were any historical sites that might be of
      > > particular interest. I'll be visiting the RI Historical Society in
      > > Providence and plan to spend some time pouring through their
      > collections. My
      > > idea is to ultimately write a book about the RI Militia during the
      > Rev War.
      > > Any suggestions would be gratefully appreciated.
      > >
      > > Thanks, Sue Babcock (from Albuquerque, NM)
      > > Researching RI 1700's names: Parr, Sweet, Babcock, Sheldon

    • Ben
      Message 2 of 11 , Jul 1, 2008
        Probably you know this already but there is an Oliver Ballou in the 1820 Census living in Cumberland, RI.  Other sources list a birth date of 1763 so may be him.

        Message 3 of 11 , Jul 1, 2008
          Thanks for the quick response. That's about right. Oliver, Sr.
          was born in 1759, his son Oliver, Jr. was born in 1789. One son
          of Oliver, Jr. named Nathaniel moved to northwest Iowa in about
          1870.

          Oliver, Sr service in the Revolutionary War qualifies me to join
          the Sons of the American Revolution. Knowing nothing about
          the organization, I'm not quite sure it's worth the $100+ to join.

          Dave

          On 7/1/08, Ben <benyoung933@...> wrote:

          > Probably you know this already but there is an Oliver Ballou in the 1820
          > Census living in Cumberland, RI. Other sources list a birth date of 1763 so
          > may be him.
          >
          > --- On Tue, 7/1/08, Dave & Sharon Ballou <ballousalers@...<ballousalers%40gmail.com>>
          > wrote:
          > From: Dave & Sharon Ballou <ballousalers@...<ballousalers%40gmail.com>
          > >
          > Subject: Re: [RI_Ancestors] Fall trip to RI
          > To: RI_Ancestors@yahoogroups.com <RI_Ancestors%40yahoogroups.com>
          > Date: Tuesday, July 1, 2008, 11:16 AM
          >
          > I am trying to find out more about my g,g,g,grandfather who was
          >
          > listed as a Private in 1781 under Peek or Moury in the Rhode
          >
          > Island militia. I think he was just a young country boy when he
          >
          > enlisted. His name was Oliver Ballou.
          >
          > David G. Ballou
          >
          > Ozark, Missouri
          >
          > On 6/29/08, graveyard_hound <graveyard_hound@ yahoo.com> wrote:
          >

          > > I received this email and thought I would pass it on. Figured someone
          >
          > > in the group might like to email this person directly with some
          >
          > > suggestions.
          >
          > > Julie
          >

          > > From: "Sue Babcock" <ssusan19old@ qwest.net <ssusan19old% 40qwest.net> >
          >
          > > Subject: [Washington Co RI] Historic Washington Co, RI
          >

          > > >I am planning a trip to RI in Sept to do some genealogy and historical
          >
          > > > research. I am interested in the Colonial and Revolutionary War time
          >
          > > period
          >
          > > > and was wondering if there were any historical sites that might be of
          >
          > > > particular interest. I'll be visiting the RI Historical Society in
          >
          > > > Providence and plan to spend some time pouring through their
          >
          > > collections. My
          >
          > > > idea is to ultimately write a book about the RI Militia during the
          >
          > > Rev War.
          >
          > > > Any suggestions would be gratefully appreciated.
          >

          > > > Thanks, Sue Babcock (from Albuquerque, NM)
          >
          > > > Researching RI 1700's names: Parr, Sweet, Babcock, Sheldon

        • Linda Peloquin
          Message 4 of 11 , Jul 1, 2008
            If nothing else, if you have teens planning on going to college and SAR has scholarships, you might want to join.  If theSAR does have scholarships, they probably have a membership requirement similar to what the DAR requires in order to be eligible to apply for the scholarships.

            I started with the DAR process about 5 years ago and am now just two documents away from being able to apply for membership for myself and daughters so the remaining daughter who just started university can apply for the scholarship...too late for the eldest who just graduated.

            I wish I'd known about the scholarships sooner than I did and wish I started genealogy in general while all the elders - my grandparents and their siblings - were still around...a familiar lament of many.

            Linda

            Message 5 of 11 , Jul 1, 2008
              Hi DaveI thought about becoming a member but so far haven't bothered as I don't have young children which could be elegible for scholarship awards for college.

              Message 6 of 11 , Jul 1, 2008
                Thanks. Mine was a loaded question. My Aunt Marion qualified in
                1923 as a young lady. No one in the family took note of it until
                I began my inquiry. Our daughters are out of college now, but
                we have some fine grand daughters growing up. :>) So, yes,
                I will join because it's not all about money........

                Message 7 of 11 , Jul 1, 2008
                  Ya, the local attraction is to march in parades and presentations
                  in a tricorn hat and tights. I'm too short and bow legged for that. But,
                  I will join anyway, because this whole endeavor has brought forth a
                  new circle of friends. Thanks.

                  On 7/1/08, Ben <benyoung933@...> wrote:

                  > Hi DaveI thought about becoming a member but so far haven't bothered as
                  > I don't have young children which could be elegible for scholarship awards
                  > for college.
                  >
                  > --- On Tue, 7/1/08, Dave & Sharon Ballou <ballousalers@...<ballousalers%40gmail.com>>
                  > wrote:
                  > From: Dave & Sharon Ballou <ballousalers@...<ballousalers%40gmail.com>
                  > >
                  > Subject: Re: [RI_Ancestors] Fall trip to RI
                  > To: RI_Ancestors@yahoogroups.com <RI_Ancestors%40yahoogroups.com>
                  > Date: Tuesday, July 1, 2008, 1:00 PM
                  >
                  > Thanks for the quick response. That's about right. Oliver, Sr.
                  >
                  > was born in 1759, his son Oliver, Jr. was born in 1789. One son
                  >
                  > of Oliver, Jr. named Nathaniel moved to northwest Iowa in about
                  >
                  > 1870.
                  >
                  > Oliver, Sr service in the Revolutionary War qualifies me to join
                  >
                  > the Sons of the American Revolution. Knowing nothing about
                  >
                  > the organization, I'm not quite sure it's worth the $100+ to join.
                  >
                  > Dave

                • Arlan Maguire
                  Message 8 of 11 , Jul 1, 2008
                    please change the subject line once in awhile

                    Paw

                  • Scott Bill Hirst
                    Message 9 of 11 , Jul 1, 2008
                      Hi!
                      Of course the most famous Ballou descendany was
                      President Garfield. Ballou is an old Rhode Island
                      name and while he recently decased our Grand
                      Lodge of Masons in Rhode Island had a WAlter
                      Greenwood Ballou as Grand Master in the 1960's. I
                      remember an Ariel Ballou that was Grand Master in
                      Rhode Island in the 1800's. In Killingly,
                      Connecticut; that borders on Rhode Island has a
                      village called Ballouville, BTW,.
                      Relatively yours,
                      Scott
                      wrote:

                      > I am trying to find out more about my
                      > g,g,g,grandfather who was
                      > listed as a Private in 1781 under Peek or Moury
                      > in the Rhode
                      > Island militia. I think he was just a young
                      > country boy when he
                      > enlisted. His name was Oliver Ballou.
                      >
                      > David G. Ballou
                      > Ozark, Missouri
                      >

                      > On 6/29/08, graveyard_hound
                      > <graveyard_hound@...> wrote:
                      > >
                      > > I received this email and thought I would
                      > pass it on. Figured someone
                      > > in the group might like to email this person
                      > directly with some
                      > > suggestions.
                      > > Julie
                      > >
                      > > From: "Sue Babcock" <ssusan19old@...
                      > <ssusan19old%40qwest.net>>
                      > > Subject: [Washington Co RI] Historic
                      > Washington Co, RI
                      > >
                      > > >I am planning a trip to RI in Sept to do
                      > some genealogy and historical
                      > > > research. I am interested in the Colonial
                      > and Revolutionary War time
                      > > period
                      > > > and was wondering if there were any
                      > historical sites that might be of
                      > > > particular interest. I'll be visiting the
                      > RI Historical Society in
                      > > > Providence and plan to spend some time
                      > pouring through their
                      > > collections. My
                      > > > idea is to ultimately write a book about
                      > the RI Militia during the
                      > > Rev War.
                      > > > Any suggestions would be gratefully
                      > appreciated.
                      > > >
                      > > > Thanks, Sue Babcock (from Albuquerque, NM)
                      > > > Researching RI 1700's names: Parr, Sweet,
                      > Babcock, Sheldon

                      > removed]

                      Scott Bill Hirst
                      20 Maple Court
                      Ashaway,RI 02804-1300 USA
                      (401)377-4643
                      Note:Telephone if you need quick reply.
                    • Dave & Sharon Ballou
                      Message 10 of 11 , Jul 2, 2008
                        Thanks, Scott. I've learned more in the past few days than I gleaned in
                        several years of searching.