Re: [RI_Ancestors] Need help with Buck Family History

  • Lisa Smith
    Message 1 of 10 , Jun 6, 2008
      Sheila,

      Thank you for the info as well as the link. I loved the history on the Attwood Machine Company. I moved from CT when I was 10 and have only been back to the area once for a family reunion, but was not able to stay long enough to visit and look around. I am trying to gather as much family history as a gift for my father. He was separated from his family when he was very young and though he has seen his siblings(who were also separated) he never really learned much about his parents or his ancestors. The info you shared really helps. Oh, I was wondering where I could get the info on the World War I registration that you found. Is there a site you could direct me to?

      Thanks again,

    • Sheila
      Message 2 of 10 , Jun 7, 2008
        I found it on Ancestry.com. I will email the image to you.
        Sheila

        On 6/6/08 10:20 PM, "Lisa Smith" <smith_lisa_m@...> wrote:

        > Sheila,
        >
        > Thank you for the info as well as the link. I loved the history on the
        > Attwood Machine Company. I moved from CT when I was 10 and have only been back
        > to the area once for a family reunion, but was not able to stay long enough to
        > visit and look around. I am trying to gather as much family history as a gift
        > for my father. He was separated from his family when he was very young and
        > though he has seen his siblings(who were also separated) he never really
        > learned much about his parents or his ancestors. The info you shared really
        > helps. Oh, I was wondering where I could get the info on the World War I
        > registration that you found. Is there a site you could direct me to?
        >
        > Thanks again,
        > Lisa

      • Sheila
        Message 3 of 10 , Jun 7, 2008
          Lisa,

          I would also check birth records for other children as the place of birth of
          John's father on his birth record could be incorrect! I have seen different
          birth places listed for a parent on each child especially with birth records
          of the 1880s or so. What was John's wife's maiden name?

          I was born in Westerly, RI my mom was, too and we lived on High Street in
          Westerly. My aunt, uncle and cousins lived in Pawcatuck and it was just off
          of Liberty Street. Here is link to map showing the area.
          http://tinyurl.com/4rrqzu
          The "A" shows where 75 Liberty Street is located and that is CT.

          Here is a link to the Assessors Database and description of the house (no
          picture) at 75 Liberty Street.
          http://tinyurl.com/3qsnum.

          Sheila

          On 6/6/08 10:20 PM, "Lisa Smith" <smith_lisa_m@...> wrote:

          > Sheila,
          >
          > Thank you for the info as well as the link. I loved the history on the
          > Attwood Machine Company. I moved from CT when I was 10 and have only been back
          > to the area once for a family reunion, but was not able to stay long enough to
          > visit and look around. I am trying to gather as much family history as a gift
          > for my father. He was separated from his family when he was very young and
          > though he has seen his siblings(who were also separated) he never really
          > learned much about his parents or his ancestors. The info you shared really
          > helps. Oh, I was wondering where I could get the info on the World War I
          > registration that you found. Is there a site you could direct me to?
          >
          > Thanks again,
          > Lisa

        • Sheila
          Message 4 of 10 , Jun 7, 2008
            Sorry, I must be still sleeping! I had the number 75 in my mind for some
            reason. Here is link to 78 Liberty Street as stated in John's WWI draft
            registration and in 1925 Westerly/Pawcutuck City Directory.
            and there is a picture of the house!!
            http://tinyurl.com/4wor67

            Sheila

            On 6/7/08 9:15 AM, "Sheila" <SLS91750@...> wrote:

            > Lisa,
            >
            > I would also check birth records for other children as the place of birth of
            > John's father on his birth record could be incorrect! I have seen different
            > birth places listed for a parent on each child especially with birth records
            > of the 1880s or so. What was John's wife's maiden name?
            >
            > I was born in Westerly, RI my mom was, too and we lived on High Street in
            > Westerly. My aunt, uncle and cousins lived in Pawcatuck and it was just off
            > of Liberty Street. Here is link to map showing the area.
            > http://tinyurl.com/4rrqzu
            > The "A" shows where 75 Liberty Street is located and that is CT.
            >
            > Here is a link to the Assessors Database and description of the house (no
            > picture) at 75 Liberty Street.
            > http://tinyurl.com/3qsnum.
            >
            > Sheila
            >

            > On 6/6/08 10:20 PM, "Lisa Smith" <smith_lisa_m@...> wrote:
            >
            >> Sheila,
            >>
            >> Thank you for the info as well as the link. I loved the history on the
            >> Attwood Machine Company. I moved from CT when I was 10 and have only been
            >> back
            >> to the area once for a family reunion, but was not able to stay long enough
            >> visit and look around. I am trying to gather as much family history as a
            >> gift
            >> for my father. He was separated from his family when he was very young and
            >> though he has seen his siblings(who were also separated) he never really
            >> learned much about his parents or his ancestors. The info you shared really
            >> helps. Oh, I was wondering where I could get the info on the World War I
            >> registration that you found. Is there a site you could direct me to?
            >>
            >> Thanks again,
            >> Lisa

          • Sheila
            Message 5 of 10 , Jun 7, 2008
              Lisa,

              I have found George W. Buck, father of George C. Buck from 1840 Census and
              thru 1880s. George W Buck and wife Nancy with all their children and they
              moved around a bit.

              The 1850 Census lists George C. Buck's birthplace as Richmond Town, RI.
              Email me and I can send you the census images if you don't have them. There
              were living in Westerly in 1860. Most show the children were born in RI. I
              wonder if the birthplace was Westerly, RI?

              Sheila

              On 6/6/08 7:29 PM, "Lisa Smith" <smith_lisa_m@...> wrote:

              > Can anyone help me get some leads on my family history? My GG is John
              > William Buck of Stonington,CT b. Jan 13, 1876 and his father's name is
              > George C. Buck b. abt 1849 and his mother's name is Ellen Burdick b.
              > abt 1850, CAN. I have tried to order birth certificates and can not
              > find what town they were born in. If any one has any information on the
              > Bucks it would be greatly appreciated.
              >
              > What I do know is that in the 1880 census record I found they showed
              > George and Ellen Buck living with their sons John, George, and Eugine
              > in Voluntown, Windham, CT. John's birth certificate say that George was
              > born in Richmond RI, but the Richmond County Records office does not
              > have a record of this. It also showed them working at some type of
              > Cotton Mill. Hope this info helps. Any leads will be greatly
              > appreciated.=0)
              >
              > Lisa(Buck)Smith

            • Donna Potter
              Message 6 of 10 , Jun 7, 2008
                Lisa, my brother had a classmate named Laura Buck at Richmond School back in the late 50s and early 60s. I wonder if her family is related to yours? I think she had sibs but it has been a long time since I thought about this! Donna in RI
                ---- Lisa Smith <smith_lisa_m@...> wrote:

                > Can anyone help me get some leads on my family history? My GG is John
                > William Buck of Stonington,CT b. Jan 13, 1876 and his father's name is
                > George C. Buck b. abt 1849 and his mother's name is Ellen Burdick b.
                > abt 1850, CAN. I have tried to order birth certificates and can not
                > find what town they were born in. If any one has any information on the
                > Bucks it would be greatly appreciated.
                >
                > What I do know is that in the 1880 census record I found they showed
                > George and Ellen Buck living with their sons John, George, and Eugine
                > in Voluntown, Windham, CT. John's birth certificate say that George was
                > born in Richmond RI, but the Richmond County Records office does not
                > have a record of this. It also showed them working at some type of
                > Cotton Mill. Hope this info helps. Any leads will be greatly
                > appreciated.=0)
                >
                > Lisa(Buck)Smith

              • Lisa Smith
                Message 7 of 10 , Jun 7, 2008
                  Hi Donna,

                  Thanks for the lead. I am going to try and find what links I can of my family to the other Bucks in the area. It's funny, but I have lived many places, (my husband used to be in the Navy) but I never really came across that many Bucks in these areas. They seem to have settled mostly in the New England States. I hope this will make it easier to find the family line.=0)

                  Thanks again,