7763RE: [RI_Ancestors] Adoption Question and DNA

    Jul 2 9:29 PM

      Hi Nancy-Jo,

      RI recently opened its adoption records, but unfortunately only the adoptee can request their original birth certificate.   I don’t see any provisions

      provisions for people who are deceased.   The woman from Canada could probably ask the court to unseal the record, but I don’t know

      if the attitude about that is generally favorable or not.  Maybe she could contact a lawyer to get some advice.

      http://www.health.ri.gov/records/for/adultadoptees/

      I don’t know how else you could approach this problem unless you have an idea of who her birth parents might have been?  Have you

      asked any of your older relatives?  Mother or aunts?  They may know something.  With a 99% match to a woman who was born in 1920,

      could it be a sister of your great grandmother?

      Lisa

      lisa.lepore2@...