      Sent: Sunday, February 09, 2014 11:04 AM
      Subject: Re: [RI_Ancestors] Certificates from Town to move out or in-

      Thanks for the great information.  I have found mention of folks being PAID to care for the sick especially during smallpox epidemics.  And, I did find that children without parents were immediately apprenticed out to adults, who were often compensated by the town for taking care of the children.  Even found where relatives of the elderly were paid by the town to care for their elderly relations.

      And, Vickie-I rent ($7.50) microfilm from the Mormon Library through Family Search.  It does NOT cost to sign up.  You only pay when you rent a microfilm.  Since I don't live near Rhode Island, this is the next best thing.  In Family Search website, go to Search, then Catalog, and under place type in United States, Rhode Island, the County you are researching, and the town if known.  The system will bring up a bunch of different types of records for each area.  (There is help available if you need it.)  Just be aware that the old records are often stained, soiled, damaged by water, faint, and in general hard to read.  But it is interesting to read them.  After 3 hours though, I have to quit for the day as it is hard on the eyes.  The films once rented are sent to your local Mormon History Center.  And, this service is open to everyone and not just Mormons.  Its a great service.

      On Sunday, February 9, 2014 6:48 AM, "wmewrght@..." <wmewrght@...> wrote:

      Having read extensively in the early records, my impression was that it was primarily an economic issue. The towns provided help to indigent residents. So when someone moved to town, the town council wanted to know from where they were moving and wanted the town council from their former town to agree to take them back if the new resident should be unable to support himself.

      If a person moved to town without a letter from the former town, they were brought before the council and asked from what town they had moved. If they did not own property and were likely to become a financial burden on the town, they were told to leave. If they refused to leave, they would be escorted to the township line and warned not to come back.

      I don't think there was a problem in moving out of a town. The problem was with the town to which you were moving. It was a welfare issue like some of our immigration problems today.

      Bill Wright

    • Show all 9 messages in this topic