Loading ...
Sorry, an error occurred while loading the content.

7575RE: [RI_Ancestors] Certificates from Town to move out or in-

Expand Messages
  • troutfly
    Feb 9, 2014
      I have seen this in my research. If I remember correctly an order out of town was called a "warning out"
      Tim Tefft

      From: RI_Ancestors@yahoogroups.com [mailto:RI_Ancestors@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Sue Mullane
      Sent: Saturday, February 08, 2014 8:42 PM
      To: RI_Ancestors@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: [RI_Ancestors] Certificates from Town to move out or in-


      While reading the latest microfilm on Exeter, Rhode Island's town meeting minutes (1700s), I noticed that people who wanted to move to another town had to get written permission from Exeter to move.  And, anyone who wanted to move into Exeter had to bring paperwork with them.  More than once when the town fathers learned that someone had moved in without the necessary paperwork, they would order that person out of town.

      I always thought folks came and went in early America.  Didn't realize things were so controlled in early America.

      Has anyone else found this when looking through early records? 

    • Show all 9 messages in this topic