7572Re: [RI_Ancestors] your thoughts

  • Linda Peloquin
    Feb 7, 2014
      OMG, my sides hurt from laughing! I can just picture him standing there with the swirl of kid chaos ebbing & flowing around him. Well, I'm sure you realized after he survived that & came back for more that he was a "keeper."

      At least no one started regaling him with tales of all the stupid stuff you did as a kid like my Grandmother did to me on one of my first trips over to NY with my husband. I still marvel that after some of the stories Grandma told Hubby about me that he didn't make a run for it while he still could. Well, he was a "keeper" too as he's still hanging in there after all these years.

      With Italian research, we may one day learn more on the upper end's worth of the 1800's & first half of the 20th cent. than just what's in the FHL films presently available.

      The LDS has been partnered now for a couple of years with the Direzione Generale per gli Archivi aka Italian State Archives. In exchange for digitizing the civil BMD records in the various state archives around Italy & providing those archives with copies, the LDS will be able to put these records on line.

      I may finally find out who the rest of my Grandfather's siblings were so I can look for them here stateside & see if anyone else in the family besides my grandparents & my grandfather's brother came to the US.

      In the Peloquin tree, the entire branch over in Italy for M. Louise Elmina Poliquin's husband Ercole Cavicchi with the exception of him, his parents & his siblings who all came to the US, is a total mystery. None of the religious or civil BMD records for the Emilia-Romagna region were ever filmed by the LDS.

      And, I'm especially excited about this project as, with the receipt of certified copies of the civil records of my grandparents' marriage in Italy & their birth certificates the summer before last, I discovered that the woman I'd thought was my great-grandmother, isn't. Thankfully, there was only one man in the family in that town with my great-grandfather's given name so that at least eliminated the confusion factor of having a couple of men as possible candidates for great-grandpa.

      For my part of Italy, the Catholic Church only allowed the LDS to film records for the period between beginning of 1809 - end of 1865. From 31 Dec 1865 forward is a black hole. As of 31 Dec 1865, my great-grandfather was still married to the woman I'd thought was my great-grandmother.

      Imagine my surprise when I got those certificates & discovered my grandmother's mother wasn't a Cardi as I'd believed for several years but a Saccoccio!

      Obviously, somewhere between 31 Dec 1865 & 27 Jan 1869 when my grandmother was born, the original wife of my great-grandfather died & he remarried to my grandmother's mother. At the present, w/o access on film or on line to those post 1865 BMD records or a couple visits over to the old home town (Ugh - jet lag), I'll never know when wife #1 died, when my gr-grandfather remarried or if there were & how many other children there were from this second marriage.

      BTW, in the course of your research for your friend, where there processetti films for your friend's ancestral town? If so, did you look at them?

      Processetti were files of documents such as BMD, military records of the groom, etc. the bridal couple had to produce & turn into the Church prior to marriage. Using the processetti, depending on if the file survived to get filmed & what's in it, it's possible to claw back one more generation beyond the end point of the filmed BMD.

      Look, too, for a catasto aka census. These were produced at various times in various regions but not everywhere in Italy did a catasto.

      The purpose wasn't for a population head count & gathering statistics as with the censuses were most familiar with. These were to find out who owned what, especially w/respect to land & for the purpose of determining taxes.

      Access to the catasti also varies. For my family's hometown, a catasto was done in 1754 but the only way other than a trip to Italy to access this record was to hire someone in Italy to produce a transcription or digital copy. Several years ago, a group of us whose families all come from my paternal ancestral hometown, pooled our resources & had both a transcript & a digital record of the catasto produced.

      The processetti along with the catasto got me back to my 4th gr-grandparents born in the closing decade of the 1600's.

      Does your friend also know about the possibility getting Italian citizenship by descent & an Italian passport? Within the paternal lines, there's no limit on the number of generations removed one is from the ancestor but on the maternal side it's more restrictive.

      You or your parent has to have been born after 1 Jan 1948 to claim citizenship via a maternal ancestor. In both instances, maternal or paternal, the Italian ancestor has to have never renounced their Italian citizenship aka naturalized & you will need to provide proof of this fact. I doubt those automatic naturalizations that used to happen to women with the "I Do's" when the woman married a US citizen would factor into this as, if I recall, the auto naturalizations happened under the laws still in effect back in the early 1900's so it's not too likely that many immigrant women affected by this would still be giving birth in 1948.

      Actually, for people who meet these criteria for dual citizenship - US & Italian, they've been Italian citizens by blood right all along & just didn't know it. All right! So now the important question....How many more weeks & days until the zeppole start appearing in the local Italian bakeries??? (For those unfortunate, deprived souls who've never heard of zeppole, they are the traditional pastry of the Festa di San Giuseppe aka St. Joseph's Feast Day, 19 Mar)

      Gotta love March - St. Paddy's Day with Guinness beef pie, corned beef (but for me, only if it's cooked a la Jennie "Ma" Grossinger - none of that bland wishy-washy blah tasting, boiled corned beef) Guinness pudding followed 2 days later by Festa di San Giuseppe with zeppole -I'll take mine with a couple of sfogliatelle on the side, sugaring time & seed starting, spring bulbs popping green shoots up & the official start of Spring!

      Subject: Re: [RI_Ancestors] your thoughts
      To: RI_Ancestors@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Thursday, February 6, 2014, 10:45 AM

      My husband had a reaction
      similar to that of the census taker when I brought him to a
      Peloquin (my dad's family) party early in our courtship!
      21 kids running around the house in a pack were totally
      overwhelming.

      Recently I did some research for
      a friend whose family came from Italy to RI; I had to
      cross-reference about a dozen documents before I could
      determine that three brothers immigrated together. Although
      they all spelled their last name "Maio," their
      marriage and death records each spelled their mother's
      name differently: "Giro," "Gero,"
      "Chiro," "Di Gero" and "De
      Chiro." Maio was such a common surname that it was
      difficult to separate who belonged to which family, both in
      Italy and in Providence. I found a ship's manifest in
      which one of the brothers had gone back to Italy for a year
      and then returned to RI in the company of a young man named
      "De Chiaro," which looked to me like a name that
      would easily corrupt to the above variants. Once I started
      looking for a De Chiaro family in the Italian town of
      origin, I was able to isolate the correct Maio family.

      - Kim
    • Show all 30 messages in this topic