7569Re: [RI_Ancestors] your thoughts

  • Linda Peloquin
    Feb 6, 2014
      Well, I'm sure not going to mess with my bro-in-law's family story, true or not. It still doesn't top my grandmother's story of her father's pig smuggling escapade.

      At any rate, I do know that I've yet to find his grandfather either as Redish & varients or the original Katzenellenbogen, which for some reason, didn't seem to get mangled very often on ships manifests, arriving via Ellis Island or any other port.

      No luck in the Ellis Island search even using Steve Morse's One Step Ellis Island search engine which runs circles around the one on the actual Ellis Island site.

      I'd considered other ports of entry but feel, more than likely, it was NYC/Ellis Island as family lore says or maybe Philly because the family settled right in the metro NYC - Newark, NJ area. Arrival was sometime in 1910 such that he got missed on the 1910 census.

      I have encountered the informal name change. I've several of them. A sister of my Brit great-grandfather fancied Marion over the Maria she was born with. 1900, I went nuts trying to find her & kept tripping over this woman Marion who, but for the name, fit my Maria to a "T". I finally couldn't stand it any longer, loosened the purse strings on my genealogy budget & sent to NYC Muni Archives for this Marion's marriage record.

      As I'd come to suspect, Marion was actually the Maria I'd been searching for.

      With some of the informal name changes in my Dad's family, it seemed more the desire to have American sounding names to go along with having been born here. Fred was certainly more American sounding than Florentino. Ditto for his sisters Maria Civita who was known to all as Mary Jane & Genoveffa who went by Molly.

      My mother-in-law's sister preferred Jerrie although her legal name was Sarah.

      And my father-in-law's family was deep into nicknames as Kim might be able to attest to. My father-in-law was more often called "The Chief" rather than Al or Albert. I've figured out which of the brothers had been known as Pappy - that was Walter who was KIA at Anzio, Italy in WW II but I'm still trying to find out who of the brothers were Fat, Rat & Skinny (my father-in-law I think) who'd signed an ancient Mother's Day card to my husband's grandmother that we'd found in the attic when cleaning out the old family homestead in '05.

      And I can understand the sisters of my husband's grandfather having a desire to not only fit in but to simply things a bit.

      Thus Marie Aimié Joséphine became Ida, Marie Louise for some reason didn't simply drop the Marie part but became Emma especially since her older sister didn't use the Louise part of her name but the perhaps like my Maria/Marion she just fancied the name Emma, and the one sister who stayed truest to her original name was Marie Louise Elmina who was known through her life as Almina.

      And then there were the spastic ancestors who sort of kept their names but couldn't make up their minds which part to use & stick with it using just that part.

      I'd been married to my husband at least 10 yrs before I figured out the Sue and the Anna in my mother-in law's family that I kept hearing about & finding in records were actually one in the same woman named Anna Susan.

      And further back in my bunch of Staten Island Deckers, as if the Decker clan of Staten Island wasn't confusing enough already with distantly related Deckers marrying each other, there's the sister-in-law of my SI Decker ancestor who not only was a Decker before marriage & married another Decker but can be found as often in records as Mary Decker as she can be found as Frances Decker. I've yet to figure out if her name at birth/christening was Mary Frances or Frances Mary.

      It certainly can make life interesting trying to find some of these folks.

      Well, off to watch Jay Leno's last show.

      Subject: Re: [RI_Ancestors] your thoughts
      To: RI_Ancestors@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Wednesday, Februar
      Hi Linda -
      That's a good story in that it demonstrates that
      they really didn't change
      any names at Ellis Island because the clerks were simply
      checking names off
      a manifest that had been compiled in Europe. If the clerk
      suggested they
      change their name and they took his advice, it wasn't
      actually changed
      there.
      Most name changes a hundred or more years ago
      weren't done through the
      courts, they were done informally and gained legitimacy over
      time.
      Take care,
      Lauren

      Lauren Maehrlein
      Maehrlein's Heirlines

      Plant a tree,
      then start your family tree!

      #yiv4591906076 #yiv4591906076ygrp-sponsor #yiv4591906076ov
      ul {
      margin:0;padding:0 0 0 8px;}

      #yiv4591906076 #yiv4591906076ygrp-text {
      font-family:Georgia;}

      #yiv4591906076 #yiv4591906076ygrp-text p {
      margin:0 0 1em 0;}

      #yiv4591906076 #yiv4591906076ygrp-text tt {
      font-size:120%;}

      #yiv4591906076 #yiv4591906076ygrp-vital ul li:last-child {
      border-right:none !important;
      }
      #yiv4591906076
    • Show all 30 messages in this topic