7567Re: [RI_Ancestors] your thoughts

  • lmaehrlein
    Feb 5, 2014
      Hi Linda -
      That's a good story in that it demonstrates that they really didn't change any names at Ellis Island because the clerks were simply checking names off a manifest that had been compiled in Europe. If the clerk suggested they change their name and they took his advice, it wasn't actually changed there.
      Most name changes a hundred or more years ago weren't done through the courts, they were done informally and gained legitimacy over time.
      Take care,
      Lauren

      Lauren Maehrlein
      Maehrlein's Heirlines

      Plant a tree, then start your family tree!

      In a message dated 2/5/2014 2:13:36 P.M. Eastern Standard Time, miyukichan0987@... writes:
      Why Kim,

      How DARE she have such a difficult name to make them have to work so hard & strain their brains coming up with their own versions !!!

      And I know it's the genealogical version of an urban legend that names were always changed at Ellis Island but in my brother-in-law's family it actually is true.  His grandfather said that the clerk there took one look at the family name & suggested that rather than always having the name messed up by everyone both in spelling & pronunciation, that they change it to something simpler.  And since his grandfather had a ruddy complexion & a hint of red in his hair, why not Reddish?  So, his grandfather was OK with that & Redish became the official family name here in the US.

      The record keepers had a blast, too, with the Italian names in my tree.  Had it not been for knowing from some notes a late uncle had left giving the name, DOD & burial place of an infant brother, I'd never have found him nor the surprise infant sister buried with him.  The family name was so screwed up in the cemetery records but for the first letter, the rest bore little resemblance to the actual name.   It'll be interesting to see as the Providence Diocese gets more of the St. Francis (Pawt.) records on line just what the name was in the main Cemeteries Office's records.

      Then there's the 1900 census where Poliquin was recorded as Perkins.  And as you know, Poliquin was later morphed into Peloquin.

      Sill better than the 1920 census where the entire street the family lived on was omitted from the census & appears no where on any supplement sheet.  My late father-in-law chuckled when I told him about it & said that it was because the census taker took one look down the street, saw the wild herd of Peloquin kids running around, thought better of it & decided to skip the whole deal.

      Subject: Re: RE: [RI_Ancestors] your thoughts
      To: RI_Ancestors@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Tuesday, February 4, 2014, 12:53 PM

             You should see what
      record-keepers did to my great-grandmother's surname,
      Chrigstrom!
      -
      Kim

      On Tue,
      Feb 4, 2014 at 9:02 AM, Sue Mullane <nmsue@...>
      wrote:

      I have found my ancestors names
      spelled a multiple of ways.  So, the fact that someone put
      Gordon instead of Jordon does not mean that the marriage
      record isn't for your ancestors.  Personally, I would
      say its your ancestors but make a note that the person
      "copying" the record did not put the correct name
      down.  And, its probably easy to mistake a "J"
      for a "G."  Even today, deciphering someone's
      handwriting is not easy.  (Note, found errors on the 1940
      census by Ancestry so mistakes still being made today.)

      Since your new, just be advised that family members
      also spelled their names different ways.  I have multiple
      families with multiple spellings of a surname.  Ginnings,
      Gennings, Jennings, Jinnings were all found for the same
      family.  And, record keepers, clerks spelled surnames
      according to how the name was pronounced many times.  The
      surname Tracey in one instance became Tracee.

      I have been researching for almost 40 years and I am
      still learning.  Sue

      ------------------------------------

      Be sure to check and use the Files, Links, Photos, and Database features on your visits to our RI_Ancestors Web site

      at:  http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~rikent/yahoo/
      Yahoo Groups Links

      <*> Your email settings:
          Individual Email | Traditional