7564Re: Re: RE: [RI_Ancestors] your thoughts

  • Sue Mullane
    Feb 4, 2014
      And, if you have a Mormon History Center near you, you can rent microfilm ($7.50 for short-term loan) on given areas online at Family Search.  First create an account-its free.  Then go to Search.  Then go to Catalog.  Type in the place you are looking for.  Always begin with United States, then the state such as Rhode Island, then the county, and then the town.  Its amazing how many microfilms they have.  Just got through reading one about Exeter today.  And, they have nice folks that you can call for help.  I also heard that in a year or so, the records on Family Search will be added to Ancestry's website.  Anyway, its another source-especially for folks like me who do not live in Rhode Island.

      On Tuesday, February 4, 2014 1:45 PM, "finnjordan4@..." <finnjordan4@...> wrote:

      lol

      On 02/04/14, K Rademacher wrote:

      You should see what record-keepers did to my great-grandmother's surname, Chrigstrom!

      - Kim

      On Tue, Feb 4, 2014 at 9:02 AM, Sue Mullane <nmsue@...> wrote:

      I have found my ancestors names spelled a multiple of ways. So, the fact that someone put Gordon instead of Jordon does not mean that the marriage record isn't for your ancestors. Personally, I would say its your ancestors but make a note that the person "copying" the record did not put the correct name down. And, its probably easy to mistake a "J" for a "G." Even today, deciphering someone's handwriting is not easy. (Note, found errors on the 1940 census by Ancestry so mistakes still being made today.)

      Since your new, just be advised that family members also spelled their names different ways. I have multiple families with multiple spellings of a surname. Ginnings, Gennings, Jennings, Jinnings were all found for the same family. And, record keepers, clerks spelled surnames according to how the name was pronounced many times. The surname Tracey in one instance became Tracee.

      I have been researching for almost 40 years and I am still learning. Sue

      On Monday, February 3, 2014 12:55 PM, "finnjordan4@..." <finnjordan4@...> wrote:

      Good idea, thanks. I have been wanting to go there and I know they are open Wed and Sat.......if we get through winter it will be a road trip. Prediction is snow to be measured in feet this weekend or beginning of next week. Love New England!

      Thanks Nancy!

      On 02/03/14, Nancy-Jo Nunez wrote:

      Hi there

      Here is a suggestion, see if you can find someone at the Killingly Historical Society locally there to do a search of the church records in the Killingly area?that might get you another certificate or citation, I?d have two to back up what you already have.

      Perhaps that?

      Nancy-Jo Nunez