7113Thurston Cemetery

  • Scott Bill Hirst
    Aug 5, 2013
      Hi!
        Those of us on the Hopkinton Town Council will be discussing tonight Hopkinton Historical Cemetery#17,
       that is a Thurston Cemetery, on Route#3, in Hopkinton, not far from the Hopkinton Town Hall. It has a large
       tree that needs to be removed but the cemetery account does not have enough to cover it.
          The town DOES NOT own the cemetery.  Are any of you descendants of those interred there? A Benjamin Thurston
       was involved in original paperwork probably the noted patent lawyer, I assume?
          In the recent past the Hopkinton Historical Association did a clean up and Gen. George Thurston grave site had a
       ceremony at it which DAR/CAR participated. This clearly is burial place of Jeremiah Thurston first Hopkinton Postmaster and R.I. Lt. Governor. That Jeremiah's son Benjamin Babcock Thurston was Hopkinton's only Member of Congress as one of three Lt. Governors from Hopkinton. The younger Thurston buried in Cedar Grove Cemetery in New London, Connecticut; served in both the Connecticut and Rhode Island General Assemblies.
       Go to town web site to search for agenda: http://www.hopkintonri.org/ . FYI.
      Regards,
      Scott

      Scott Bill Hirst
      20 Maple Court
      Ashaway,RI 02804-1300 USA
      (401)377-4643/Cell: Quick Response Needed (401)450-6230
      Note:Telephone if you need quick reply.
      Alternate E-Mail: scottbillhirst@...