5522Re: [RI_Ancestors] RI adoption records opened to adoptees 25 & older

  • Alan Clarke
    Mar 2, 2012
      On 3/2/12 12:27 PM, Stacie Heyen wrote:
      > I too agree, my grandmother was adopted in 1926, and died 2008, and even
      > NOW they are still telling us, they cant open anything until 100 years
      > after the fact of the adoption, OY! Tho a few years ago, I was sent a
      > letter saying, "If you can find your grandmothers birth mother and have her
      > give permission to open the records, we will do so."
      > I think I see about 5 things wrong with that sentence!
      > Stacie
      Indeed.
      How would you like to be the bureaucrat who published that for all to see?
      And then... how would you like to be someone who doesn't see the folly
      of it?

      But in the name of dialog, have we reached the tipping point where the
      privacy of the birth mother is superseded by the curiosity of the child
      to know from whence he or she came? I can see going forth, but what
      happened to "grandfather rights" and past promises made? Not being
      adopted, of course, I have no chips on this table. Just curious.