      From: Linda Peloquin <miyukichan0987@...>
      To: RI_Ancestors@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Mon, March 7, 2011 8:58:11 PM
      Subject: Re: [RI_Ancestors] Funeral Home - Gilbert & Wightman -

      Sandy,

      I've encountered similar situations with ancestors having now defunct funeral
      homes/undertakers listed.

      Unfortunately, there are no rules in RI for the preservation of the records of
      funeral homes when they go out of business so most seem to be trashed.

      If one gets really lucky, another funeral home in the area will have taken over
      the defunct funeral home and with the absorption of that home also become
      custodian of the records.

      Even this doesn't always happen as I discovered a few years back when I thought
      I'd lucked out in finding a current funeral home that had taken over another
      home upon the owner's retirement only to learn from the people at the current
      home that the retired owner kept all the old records which, with the death of
      that person are now nowhere to be found.

      Basically, if the funeral home is gone, so too most probably, are the records.
      One could check with a local historical society or the RI Historical Society on
      the off chance that someone had the forethought to donate the records. RI
      Archives doesn't seem to have any.

      Linda