3878Re: Research in Warwick, RI. Jeremiah Gardiner

  • armchair_genealogist
    Jul 8, 2010
      Hi,
      What a long strange trip this is turning into!Got a little time to work on this and chase the paper trail.Land records are a curiosity to me and this is close by.Mariah Holmes was a Holmes by marriage to James Holmes (son of Samuel Holmes and Ruth Fairbanks?)He died about 1920 and left two children James Alonzo and Mary P Holmes and his widow,Mariah.I did not find a will for Jeremiah but there is probate with inventory etc.I find no transfer in these towns from father to son Jeremiah N(for love and affection or from any Gardiners)so we next look to see where he might have originated.Jeremiah was referred to as a house carpenter in some of the land records including the first one I find for him in EG which refers to him as being "of North Kinstown"so this is where the trail for him leads to.Just so you know the old NK records are badly damaged by fire.Pages burned around the edges.Also Maria and Mariah are one in the same person as far as I can tell.It was sometimes spelled Maria(outside the family)but was pronounced Mariah.There are many land transactions and they include ones from Samuel and Ruth Holmes to J N Gardiner in 1825 and from James Alonzo Holmes "of Bristol" to Jeremiah Gardiner in 1842(quitclaim)and to Mariah Holmes guardian to our grandchildren from Sam and Ruth in 1820.And she is referred to as Mariah in 1861 land records.Contact me offline as I snapped pictures of many of these documents and will see how many are readable.....................Mike

      --- In RI_Ancestors@yahoogroups.com, "NancyM" <ntmauro43@...> wrote:

      > Thanks Mike....Good another name in this 'mix'. I have seen that and wondered if my Jeremiah was married twice...first to Mariah Holmes which he would have been 25 years which would have been possible. He married Maria when he was 30 and all the children were born after they were married. My husband married 2 Nancy's ....so it does happen. I shall explore that information. Thanks for your input.

    • Show all 16 messages in this topic