      From: Donna Potter <uriramfan@...>
      Subject: Re: [RI_Ancestors] merchants and mariners-Waterman
      To: RI_Ancestors@yahoogroups.com
      Cc: "Fred Clarke" <bozone@...>
      Date: Monday, March 1, 2010, 6:13 PM

      Fred, where have you been? I do not remember seeing a post from you in a while.
      Donna in NK
      ---- Fred Clarke <bozone@...> wrote:

      Dave Jenkins wrote:

      > Laurie,
      >
      > Thanks. I think I have seen a part of what was on that link. I was
      > obviously wrong about the "Gaspee" - the British owned that
      > one and were a little upset when it didn't take to fire too well.
      >
      > Moses Brown m. Resolved W./Sarah Carr's 2nd youngest daughter, Phebe
      > Waterman as his 3rd wife. I wonder - is there any
      > evidence Watermans were involved transporting African slaves?
      >
      > I'm curious - did Richard Waterman, the immigrant, become a Quaker?
      > And where was he buried? There's a Google book,
      > "George Rowland Howe, 1847-1917, a son's tribute..... ........" pub.
      > 1920, p. 143-45, that contains contents of a letter by Moses
      > Brown written about 1829, at the end of it he says he's aged 92 yrs, 8
      > mos, 15 days. In it he says Richard Waterman buried at
      > Newport in Friends burying ground 28th of 8th mos, 1673. Moses was
      > pretty old by that point, though he did have a specific date.
      > I know this question is probably beyond your purview - thought I'd
      > throw it out there.
      >
      > Thank again. I guess I'll have to make a trip to the archive.

      Hi Dave,
      Richard Waterman, one of the original proprietors of Providence and
      Warwick, is interred at Swan Point, on the East Side of Providence,
      along with several generations following him. A new stone was laid in
      1840 by his ggg-grandson (?), also Richard Waterman. He died in October
      26, 1673, but is not buried in Newport. That might be another RW??
      Anyway, I've seen the stone at Swan Point. :-)