      From: bingo0212
      To: RI_Ancestors@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Thursday, September 03, 2009 9:32 PM
      Subject: [RI_Ancestors] Re: Lawton Babcock

      Bonnie,
      Fanny b in MA 1824 m.Emery Chase(Barbour)in Hartford,CT.This is
      over the border research in CT.The Chase family lived in Groton/Mystic
      and Pawcatuck.I believe also that this is a different Russell Babcock.
      Brother Nathaniel b 1822 Springfield,MA m.Jerusha Culver(Barbour in
      1842).d 1872 in NYC.
      I think two of Russell Babcock's children,Jane E and Harriet have
      ties to Fanny and her brother Nathaniel.In 1860 Lawton is living in the
      Russell Babcock home.

      George Marshall married, March 20, 1864 , Harriet Elizabeth Babcock ,
      daughter of Russell W. and Wealthy A. Babcock . The Babcocks lived at
      North Lyme . Children: 1. Frederick Lawton 6. Ernest Leroy , mentioned
      below.Ernest Leroy , son of George Marshall Averill , was born January
      22, 1883.He then took offices with Prentice W. Chase.

      Below is part of the genealogy of my 3x gr uncle Prentice Chase
      in: Genealogical and Family History of the State of Connecticut.It most
      likely is not totally accurate and also incomplete.

      Nathaniel (2), son of Nathaniel (1) Babcock , was born in Stonington
      (?), January 24, 1735 ; was baptized September 14, 1735 . He married,
      December 1, 1756 , Mary , daughter of Thomas and Mary (Landphear)
      Larrison . She was born in North Stonington , 1741 , and died there
      October 15, 1801 . They lived for a time at Canterbury, Connecticut , as
      late as 1798 , and later settled on the Larrison farm, North Stonington
      . He died there April 19, 1813 , and was buried in Union cemetery. He
      was a soldier in the revolution. Children: Jonas , born 1757 ; Mary ,
      1759 ; Stephen , mentioned below.

      Stephen , son of Nathaniel (2) Babcock , born 1765 , married, and
      had a son Nathaniel , mentioned below.

      Nathaniel (2), son of Stephen Babcock , was born near Coventry,
      Connecticut , 1795 . He married, about 1819 , - . Children: Nathaniel ,
      born 1822 ; Fannie E. , born June, 1824 , married 1845 , Emery Edward
      Chase (see Chase VII).

      Emery Edward , youngest child of Edward and Amy (Burgess) Chase ,
      was born in Killingly , near Putnam, Connecticut , 1822 . He married
      Fannie E. , born 1824 , daughter of Nathaniel Babcock (see Babcock
      VIII). Children: 1. George Edward , born 1847 ; married Eliza Church ,
      of Montville, Connecticut ; five children. 2. Emery Edward , Jr., born
      1848 , married Lillian Palmer ; twelve children. 3. Mercy Addie , born
      1851 ; married Charles L. King , of New Haven ; child, Charles U. King .
      4. Edgar E. , born 1853 ; married Almeda Burdick , of Westerly, Rhode
      Island ; six children. 5. Fannie , born 1854 , married Henry L. Fuller ,
      of Westerly, Rhode Island . 6. Ellan , born November 23, 1856 , married
      Aaron D. Hall . 7. Warren William , born January 25, 1858 , married
      Susan Vaughn ; child, Ethel Chase . 8. Prentice William , born November
      27, 1859 , mentioned below. 9. Amy B. , born May, 1862 . 10. Arthur D. ,
      April 19, 1865 . 11. Sylvester , December 25, 1867.

      Prentice W. Chase, lawyer and author of New Haven, was born November
      27, 1859, at Mystic, New London county, Connecticut, a son of Emery
      Edmond and Fannie (Babcock) Chase, both of whom were representatives of
      early New England families. The Chase family, of English origin, was
      founded in America by three brothers who, crossing the Atlantic when the
      work of colonization was scarcely begun in the new world, lived among
      the Indians of Massachusetts. The ancestral line of Prentice W. Chase is
      traced back directly to William, one of these brothers. Representatives
      of the name became residents of Chase Hill, Windham county, Connecticut,
      and members of the family participated in the Revolutionary war.

      Emery E. Chase was a blacksmith by trade and won a substantial measure
      of success in that field and at wagon manufacturing, which was a
      business of considerable importance in that section in his day. While
      his educational opportunities were somewhat limited, he was a man of
      marked native ability and held high position not only in business
      circles but in the regard of his fellowmen. His religious faith was that
      of the Baptist church. He passed away May 25, 1887, at the age of
      sixty-six years. His wife, Fannie Babcock, was a native of Connecticut
      and a daughter of Jonathan Babcock, whose ancestors were early residents
      of Rhode Island. They came from England and at one time the family owned
      the greater part of the western section of Rhode Island. The ancestral
      history contains the names of many who were prominent in public office
      and in other connections. The death of Mrs. Chase occurred in 1893, when
      she had reached the age of sixty-nine years. Her family numbered eleven
      children.

      --- In RI_Ancestors@yahoogroups.com, "Bonnie Weber" <bonnie.travel@...>
      wrote:

      > Mike
      >
      > Give the details you have on Fanny Babcock, and I will see what I can
      find.

      > As far as Lawton goes, his mother's last name before marriage,
      probably.

      > I have Russell Babcock b in South Kingstown, R.I. 14 March 1830.
      >
      > Bonnie

      far as wife,siblings,parents or children??I know he lived in the Lyme
      area of CT and died abt 1868 age 104!!I find him living in the Russell
      Babcock household in 1860 and two of Russell's children are persons of
      interest in my quest to break through my Fanny Babcock brick
      wall......Mike