      From: Linda Peloquin <miyukichan0987@...>
      Subject: Re: [RI_Ancestors] Rhode Island Vital Records Copies
      To: RI_Ancestors@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Thursday, April 30, 2009, 10:11 PM

      Scott's correct....

      Several months ago the cost to acquire certificates from the Office of Vital Records at the Health Dept increased to $20/certificate unless you were getting 2 copies of the same type certificate on the same individual & then the second copy was abt. $5 less so two would cost $35 rather than $40.  The cost is the same whether you pick these up at the municipality involved or down in Providence at Vital Records.

      Unfortunately, for births and marriages after 1908, Vital Records or the city/town hall are the only places you can get birth or marriage because of the privacy laws.  Archives simply won't have them.  If you are needing the certs for DAR, SAR or some other organization/ society, then you have no choice.

      Going to the Vital Records downcity Providence can be a better idea than the town/city.  At that more local level, you are at the mercy of the staff in the town/city clerk's office.  Some can be real little Ceasars.  My sister-in-law was told by a woman in the North Providence Town Clerk's Office that she couldn't have a copy of her own grandparents'  1914 marriage certificate because..... ...  Ready for this ??   SHE WAS NOT A DIRECT RELATION !!

      If your need is simply to document the date of a wedding for a tree, a cheaper alternative is to first see if an announcement was published in the in the Providence Journal and get a copy pulled from the microfilm of the newspaper from Reference Services at the Providence Public Library.  They charged, last time I checked, $5 service fee and $0.20 per page of copy.  If you request 1 article or 6 articles all at once, the service fee for the request would still be $5 so If you have more than one to request, it's obviously cheaper to request them all at once and pay just $5 for all.  You do need to supply at minimum month and year for the marriage.   Birth announcements are more hit or miss.

      I may have posted my standard blurbs regarding PPL, Vital Records and Archives before but here's the info again:

      Photocopies from microfilm of the Providence Journal from the beginning in the 1800's to the present:
      (Dec 1983 - present on line at ProQuest with a RI Library card)

      Providence Public Library Reference Services
      150 Empire Street
      Providence, Rhode Island 02903
      Phone:401-455- 8005.
      Main number is 401-455-8000.
      http://www.provlib org/default. html
      Email at pplref@provlib. org

      The last time I checked, the costs were a $5 service fee with a charge of $0.20 per page for copies. You make your request with names and dates, they do a look-up and let you know what they found. Because they had a problem with sending the copies to people but never receiving payment, now before they will do the copy you will have to send the $5 and the cost for however many pages of copies they've said your information is contained on. (Before Belo Corp. took over the Providence Journal, there were the traditional obits on one page and there could be a larger personal bio on an adjoining page so at least 2 pages of obit information is possible.)

      If you order your obits, wedding announcements, etc.directly from the Providence Journal all you will get for your money is a text transcript of the information. You will miss out on any photographs that might have accompanied the obit or article and it will cost you approximately the same amount of money.

      Rhode Island State Archives
      337 Westminster Street
      Providence, Rhode Island 02903
      Telephone: (401) 222-2353
      Fax: (401) 222-3199
      Email: reference@sec. state.ri. us
      Web: www.state.ri. us/archives/ ~~website is poorly designed and pretty much useless from a genealogy point of view.
      Open to the public Monday-Friday 8:30 am - 4:30 pm

      Deaths from about 1856 to 1958.
      Births and marriages from about 1856 to 1908.
      Archives also has RI State Censuses done on the "5" years from 1865 - 1935 with the exception of 1895 which is MIA.

      On 1 Jan of each year, another year's records are released so 1958/1908 will increase to 1959/1909 next 1 Jan 2010. There is a couple month lag in availability while Archives processes the newly received records and prepares them for public use.

      Anything which falls after 1958/1908 must be obtained from the RI Health Dept. / Vital Records.

      Office of Vital Records
      3 Capitol Hill
      Room 101
      Providence, RI 02908-5097
      (401) 222-2812 (8:30 am-4:30 p.m. EST) Monday-Friday to speak with a Customer Service Representative.
      The Office is open to the public from 8:30 A.M. until 4:00 P.M. Monday through Friday.

      Linda