2034Re: John SMITH who migrated from MA to RI with Roger Williams

  • Todd H.
    Jan 7, 2009
      A good secondary source on John Smith The Miller is the series of "Rhode Island History" articles titled "John
      Smith The Miller, Of Providence, Rhode Island, Some of His Descendants." These are compiled in "Genealogies
      of Rhode Island Families From Rhode Island Periodicals, Volume II: Smith - Yates" (Genealogical Publishing Co.,
      1983). This is 150 pages! that had been spread out over 4 years, 1961-1965, all in one place.

      I'm not a descendant of John Smith The Miller but have many cousins among his descendants. I go back to John
      Smith The Mason and am interested in John Smith the Colony President. Todd H.

      --- In RI_Ancestors@yahoogroups.com, "SIDERSN" <nancysiders@...> wrote:
      > Anyone know of the John SMITH who was expelled with Roger Williams
      > from Massachusetts...? If so, do you have his descendants...? Any of
      > them match mine listed below in paragraph four...?
      > A correspondent in my LETSON ancestry wrote the following paragraph in
      > an introduction of a book we are placing on the web. I was not aware
      > of this possible connection to Roger Williams.
      > Re: Mary Smith's ancestry. This is something I wish could be
      > established. There have been some attempts to do this, but it appears
      > that they are lacking in primary documentation. Some go back to the
      > John Smith who was expelled from Massachusetts along with Roger
      > Williams. Others offer different lines.
      > I inherited the following; haven't had time or the initiative to
      > attempt to prove or disprove any of it yet. I would think SMITH would
      > be a tremendous challenge. My SMITH connection is through this Mary
      > (SMITH) who married John LETSON. They were my 5th G Grandparents.
      > Mary's parents were John Smith and an unknown. Her grandparents were
      > Jeremiah and Mary (GEREARDY) SMITH. Her g grandparents were another
      > John SMITH and an unknown. Her gg grandparents were another Jeremiah
      > SMITH and an unknown. Her ggg grandparents were Joseph "The Weaver"
      > and Lydia (GARDINER) SMITH. 4G's John "The Miller" and Sarah
      > (WHIPPLE) SMITH. 5G's were John "The Miller" and Alice (Unknown)
      > SMITH. This last couple is supposedly my 12th G Grandparents. Most
      > of these folks were in RI.
      > Thanks...Nancy Cluff Siders
    • Show all 3 messages in this topic