Sandhill Crane

  • DLSaint@aol.com
    Message 1 of 8 , Dec 7, 2007
      Thanks to Kathy Patric I got down to see the SANDHILL CRANE in Matunuck, about 3 PM.  The bird is in the field at the corner of Moonstone Beach Road and Card's Pond Road.  This area is posted, private property, however I was able to see through the brush from the side of Moonstone Beach Road.  The bird can easily hide in there as the corn stubble is high in spots, and the field is slightly hilly.  I could not see it from Card's Pond Road.

      Birders are still planning to go on the cod boat out of Galilee at 7 AM tomorrow.

      Jan St.Jean
      Chepachet, RI

    • Mike Tucker
      Message 2 of 8 , Dec 13, 2007

        Suzanne Patton, the USFWS Biologist in RI, emailed me today and mentioned the Sandhill Crane was seen on the island in the middle of Trustom Pond this morning. There were also 2 Snow Geese the pond.

        Mike Tucker

        Refuge Manager of Caratunk Wildlife Refuge

        Audubon Society of Rhode Island

        301 Brown Avenue

        Seekonk , MA 02771

        (508) 761-8230

        mtucker@...

      • Greg Sargeant
        Message 3 of 8 , Jun 5, 2013
          I have a report of a Sandhill Crane at the RI Veteran's Cemetery in Exeter today

          Greg Sargeant
          Providence
        • Roger Masse
          Message 4 of 8 , Sep 6, 2013
            ...present this a.m. across from the West Kingstown Recreation Park along Rt. 138.  Take care,

            Roger

            --
            Roger J. Masse
            University of Rhode Island
            Message 5 of 8 , Sep 14, 2013
              ...still feeding along the side of Rt. 138 in West Kingston this a.m. across from the recreation park.  Take care,

              Roger

              --
              Roger J. Masse
              University of Rhode Island
              Department of Natural Resources Science
              102 Coastal Institute in Kingston
              Kingston, RI 02881
              Phone: (802) 735-5135
            • John and Alexandra La Force
              Message 6 of 8 , Dec 7, 2013
                We were on Waite’s Corner Road on the east side of Route 2 in West Kingston, looking for the Sandhill Crane.  Didn't see it at that time, but we did see 4 gorgeous Ring-necked Pheasant males and 2 females.  Farther along Waite’s Corner Road is a house with a small pond.  The pond was filled with Canada Geese, and the lawn between the pond and house filled with wild Turkeys.  Returning on Route 138, we parked across from the West Kingston recreational park and did see the Crane – he was on the western edge of the cornfield.  We used to see Sandhill Cranes anytime we wanted in California's Central Valley; we never expected to see one here.  I remember that a Crane was spotted on a pond in Tiverton early in 2013; I wonder if it’s the same one....

                John and Alex La Force
              • <rosies1@...>
                Message 7 of 8 , Dec 18, 2013
                  At about 2:30Pm this afternoon I spotted a Sandhill Crane in Oatley's Field on Rt. 138 westbound side.

                  Rosanne Sherry