Re: RA problem

  • Wade Van Arsdale
    Message 1 of 13 , Feb 28, 2007
      Hi Larry,
      Just one other thought...the problem (if a port timing issue) could
      also be the Keyspan bus itself. I had a similar timing issue with
      a Digi USB multiport bus a couple of years ago. That one was
      a timing issue with the serial transmit/receive strings. The
      manufacturer had to update the multiport driver code to fix it. If
      the Keyspan uses its own drivers, you might want to double-check
      to make sure you have the latest Keyspan drivers too. My Digi unit
      was completely unusable with my mount until they put out the
      updated drivers.

      As a diagnostic test, you could bypass the Keyspan unit entirely
      and try the serial connection directly throught the single port FTDI
      adapter I mentioned in the previous post. You could then see how
      ACP works and hopefully rule in or out the Keyspan unit as the cause
      of the problem.

      Cheers,
      Wade

      --- In RCX400@yahoogroups.com, "kinetoplast2000" <simpson@...> wrote:

      > Wade,
      >
      > Thaks for the advice and the links. I will definitely try out this
      > cable. I am using a fast PC with a dual processor, and to convert
      USB
      > to serial I use a Keyspan 4 port serial-USB convertor
      > (http://www.keyspan.com/products/usb/usa49w/homepage.spml).
      >
      > I spoke too soon when I wrote that the problem was solved by
      > decreasing the polling rate. The very next night I saw the same RA
      > problem even at the lower rate.
      >
      > Larry
      >

      > --- In RCX400@yahoogroups.com, "Wade Van Arsdale" <uwpf23@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Hi Larry,
      > > One other suggestion, if this hasn't already been made. I had
      the
      > > same problem with ACP on a Gemini system. Setting the ACP poll
      > > rate to slow did help, but I also wanted to ask if you use a USB
      > > to Serial converter to your pc (no native 9-pin serial ports on
      > > the pc?). I did some testing of various models of USB adapters
      > > a few weeks ago, and found that that some brands with larger
      > > built-in data buffering work much better than others. The two
      best
      > > models I found of the ones I tested were the FTDI model:
      > > http://www.astronomystores.net/store/cart.php?
      > > target=product&product_id=279&category_id=64
      > >
      > > (manually paste the links if broken)
      > >
      > > and this Edgeport model:
      > > http://www.insight.com/site/product/detail/index.cfm?
      item_number=301%
      > > 2D1001%2D11&srccode=cii_13436903&cpncode=12-5609992
      > >
      > > Those two resulted in 100% error-free comm link with ACP and
      various
      > > Gemini software utilities. While these tests were done on a
      Gemini,
      > > not an RCX, it might still be worth trying one of these on your
      RCX
      > > connection if you have a very fast pc, you use a USB to Serial
      > > adapter for your comm link to the telescope, and you're having
      > > dropped connections or serial errors to/from the mount when using
      > > ACP or other ASCOM-based utilities. The FTDI model has the
      largest
      > > built-in data buffering of the four brands I tested (384 byte Rx
      and
      > > 128 byte Tx).
      > >
      > > Regards,
      > > Wade Van Arsdale

    • kinetoplast2000
      Message 2 of 13 , Mar 5, 2007
        Hi Wade,

        I received the USB to serial connector you recommended and tried it
        out tonight, connecting it directly to a scope USB port. I saw the
        same RA problem upon connecting to ACP using the Ajai RCX driver, so
        that probably eliminates a port timing issue. I captured the serial
        communications as a trace file and posted it at
        http://164.67.39.27/skyshed/serial/serialtrace3-5-07.htm. I annotated
        the place (29:49:28) where the RA change occurred. Perhaps someone
        with more knowledge of the RCX command interface than myself can
        figure out what is happenning.

        Larry

        --- In RCX400@yahoogroups.com, "Wade Van Arsdale" <uwpf23@...> wrote:

        > Hi Larry,
        > Just one other thought...the problem (if a port timing issue) could
        > also be the Keyspan bus itself. I had a similar timing issue with
        > a Digi USB multiport bus a couple of years ago. That one was
        > a timing issue with the serial transmit/receive strings. The
        > manufacturer had to update the multiport driver code to fix it. If
        > the Keyspan uses its own drivers, you might want to double-check
        > to make sure you have the latest Keyspan drivers too. My Digi unit
        > was completely unusable with my mount until they put out the
        > updated drivers.
        >
        > As a diagnostic test, you could bypass the Keyspan unit entirely
        > and try the serial connection directly throught the single port FTDI
        > adapter I mentioned in the previous post. You could then see how
        > ACP works and hopefully rule in or out the Keyspan unit as the cause
        > of the problem.
        >
        > Cheers,
        > Wade
        >
        > --- In RCX400@yahoogroups.com, "kinetoplast2000" <simpson@> wrote:
        > >
        > > Wade,

      • Wade Van Arsdale
        Message 3 of 13 , Mar 6, 2007
          Sorry it didn't work, Larry. If you bypassed the Keyspan bus (sounds
          like you did), and you have a known good serial converter (which you
          do with the FTDI unit), that would point to firmware or driver
          problems. I wonder if Ajai might be able to help you with the trace
          file contents over on the ASCOM group? With the trace file in hand,
          surely someone at Meade, or Ajai would be able to shed some light on
          this. You might even try Bob Denny on the ACP forum. He has looked
          at a ton of trace files and might be able to make some suggestions.

          Good luck. I hope you can solve it.

        • autostaretx
          Message 4 of 13 , Mar 6, 2007
            --- In RCX400@yahoogroups.com, "kinetoplast2000" <simpson@...> wrote:

            > ... I captured the serial
            > communications as a trace file and posted it at
            > http://164.67.39.27/skyshed/serial/serialtrace3-5-07.htm
            > I annotated the place (29:49:28) where the RA change occurred.
            > Perhaps someone
            > with more knowledge of the RCX command interface than myself can
            > figure out what is happenning.

            I sent the reference to the serial trace to Meade.

            They've located the problem, and it should be fixed in the next
            update.

            The workaround is to not use the :AP# command in your situation.

            What's happening is that you're two-star aligning,
            but the effect of the :AP# is to kick the internals to a one-star
            situation. Thus the alignment parameters are misinterpreted,
            and the calculated RA shifts.

            You could try one-star aligning and see if the :AP# then
            becomes innocuous.

            Thanks for the clear testing and full reportage...

            have fun
            --dick
          • galaxy_jason
            Message 5 of 13 , Mar 6, 2007
              --- In RCX400@yahoogroups.com, "autostaretx" <rseymour@...> wrote:

              > Thanks for the clear testing and full reportage...
              >
              > have fun
              > --dick

              Dick makes a good point. Meade engineering will welcome any
              field reports. Use the scientific method and write a good
              report. Having something written up before calling Meade
              CS will help explain the problem. I've been doing this for
              years, its how I got to be a beta tester.
              Here is a good explanation as it applies to lobsters :)...

              http://www.lobsters.org/ldoc/ldocpage.php?did=441

              Jason Ware
              http://www.galaxyphoto.com
            • kinetoplast2000
              Message 6 of 13 , Mar 6, 2007
                Hi Dick,

                I was able to get some peeks between the clouds tonight and tested the
                effect of a one star alignment. It appeared to work. There was no RA
                jump when ACP connected! Thanks so much.

                Larry