Re: Meade Support

  • Phillip Coker
    Message 1 of 46 , Feb 1, 2007
      My experience with Meade support has been pretty much the same with
      the RCX. The only exception was when the dealer backed me on a single
      issue (getting a replacement 14" and then trading down to a 12" from
      a 14" when it became undeniable that the 14" mount just cannot handle
      the weight of the 14" OTA in polar mode) after I threatened to return
      the scope to him for a refund. I also have two ETX-125s. Both are
      poorly constructed and go-to is unreliable but the optics of both are
      great for visual observing. I tried mounting one of the ETX125s on
      the 12" but, with counter-weights and an SBIG camera on the RCX, the
      weight is just too much for the 12" mount. The few satisfied RCX -10 -
      12 -14 imagers who post on this group seem to be the ones with the
      10, those who use an SBIG camera with an AO7 or AOL, or the ones who
      plan to use the larger scopes only in alt-az.

      Phillip

      --- In RCX400@yahoogroups.com, Allan Overcast <allanovercast@...>
      wrote:

      > I have decided to purchase an RCX400-10" but I am having second
      thoughts of purchasing another Meade scope because of my bad
      experience with their support department on repairs. I sent in my
      ETX-125EC for cleaning and focus shift issues, about 6 weeks ago, and
      was quoted 2 weeks. Every time I call I seem to get another story
      about why it is taking so long. My latest is that the parts are no
      longer made, and they don't know when more will come in. After
      pressing for a delivery date they said I should talk to a supervisor,
      and was transferred to a generic voice-mail box to leave a message.
      If I treated my customers like Meade has treated me, I would have no
      more customers to service! I just want my scope back and I will find
      somewhere else to send it to.

      > So my question is: Does Meade treat all their customers so bad,
      and is it normal to get a different story every time you call them?
      I am seriously concerned about purchasing anything else from them if
      this is the standard treatment, especially when I need to get
      something repaired.

      > Thanks for the advice.
      >
      > Allan in Billings

      > Don't pick lemons.

    • John A Marks
      Message 46 of 46 , Mar 4, 2007
        Glad they responded fast. Did they want the non functioning tripod back? If
        not I would be interested in acquiring it. I will never be using it in the
        extended position as I am only 5' 7". If the Ryobis are cordless I would
        like those as well.