Re: Changing the guiding/tracking rate

  • clearviewh
    Message 1 of 11 , Nov 1, 2006
      I tried -1, but that was too much, and 0 not enough....I don't quite
      understand though....Is -1 00.1% ?? That's what I tried to punch
      in.-001, but it came up -1

      --- In RCX400@yahoogroups.com, "surfndaojai" <Jeff.bennett@...> wrote:

      > I use a tracking rate of [-2] for imaging and that seems to work well.
      >
      > --- In RCX400@yahoogroups.com, "clearviewh" <clearview@> wrote:
      > >
      > > I want my scope to track slightly slower....I see there seems top
      be
      > > two ways to do this. You can set a custom tracking rate, plus or
      > minus
      > > xxx%, or you can change the guiding rate. Right now, I am not using
      > > custom tracking rate, and I am running my guiding rate at +70....At
      > > +69, it is a tad too slow, at +70 a tad to fast...Any way to get it
      > > closer??
      > > Ed

    • surfndaojai
      Message 2 of 11 , Nov 1, 2006
        I use a "custome" tracking rate, not sidereal. When I opne custom
        rate it shows "+0" on the handcontroller. To change it, I simply
        use the arrow keys to change the "+" to "-" and the "0" to a 2 and
        then hit enter when the handcontroller shows "-2". I have never
        used decimal numerals in setting a custom tracking rate. And, I
        have never changed the guide rate, becuase I do not think it changes
        anything.

        Maybe I am wrong all this, but for some reason the way I am doing it
        seems to work...

        --- In RCX400@yahoogroups.com, "clearviewh" <clearview@...> wrote:

        > I tried -1, but that was too much, and 0 not enough....I don't
        quite
        > understand though....Is -1 00.1% ?? That's what I tried to
        punch
        > in.-001, but it came up -1
        >

        > --- In RCX400@yahoogroups.com, "surfndaojai" <Jeff.bennett@> wrote:
        > >
        > > I use a tracking rate of [-2] for imaging and that seems to work
        well.

        > > --- In RCX400@yahoogroups.com, "clearviewh" <clearview@> wrote:
        > > >
        > > > I want my scope to track slightly slower....I see there seems
        top
        > be
        > > > two ways to do this. You can set a custom tracking rate, plus
        or
        > > minus
        > > > xxx%, or you can change the guiding rate. Right now, I am not
        using
        > > > custom tracking rate, and I am running my guiding rate at
        +70....At
        > > > +69, it is a tad too slow, at +70 a tad to fast...Any way to
        get it
        > > > closer??
        > > > Ed

      • autostaretx
        Message 3 of 11 , Nov 1, 2006
          --- In RCX400@yahoogroups.com, "clearviewh" <clearview@...> wrote:

          > I tried -1, but that was too much, and 0 not enough....
          > I don't quite understand though....Is -1 00.1% ??

          Yes. (or "-00.1% slower than sidereal, roughly one arcsecond
          per clock minute of induced "drift"")

          > That's what I tried to punch in.-001, but it came up -1

          Yup, that what it does.

          If you'd like finer control, install my patch kit.
          Then "-1" means "-00.01%" slower.
          (and the prompting tells you that...)

          have fun
          --dick

          > --- In RCX400@yahoogroups.com, "surfndaojai" <Jeff.bennett@> wrote:
          > >
          > > I use a tracking rate of [-2] for imaging and that seems to work
          well.

          > > --- In RCX400@yahoogroups.com, "clearviewh" <clearview@> wrote:
          > > >
          > > > I want my scope to track slightly slower....I see there seems
          top
          > be
          > > > two ways to do this. You can set a custom tracking rate, plus
          or
          > > minus
          > > > xxx%, or you can change the guiding rate. Right now, I am not
          using
          > > > custom tracking rate, and I am running my guiding rate at
          +70....At
          > > > +69, it is a tad too slow, at +70 a tad to fast...Any way to
          get it
          > > > closer??
          > > > Ed

        • autostaretx
          Message 4 of 11 , Nov 1, 2006
            wrote:

            > I use a "custome" tracking rate, not sidereal. When I opne custom
            > rate it shows "+0" on the handcontroller. To change it, I simply
            > use the arrow keys to change the "+" to "-" and the "0" to a 2 and
            > then hit enter when the handcontroller shows "-2". I have never
            > used decimal numerals in setting a custom tracking rate. And, I
            > have never changed the guide rate, becuase I do not think it
            > changes anything.
            >
            > Maybe I am wrong all this, but for some reason the way
            > I am doing it seems to work...

            You're doing it correctly. The decimal point is implied,
            not displayed.

            have fun
            --dick
          • clearviewh
            Message 5 of 11 , Nov 1, 2006
              I was just a little concerned about what else might come with that
              patch, and I have to check to make sure I don't need a different one
              first to upgrade..In particular, I remember something about turning
              off the drive during, pec training....I use PemPro, and it DOES turn
              off the drive to run callibrations..I wouldn't want to lose the
              ability for that to happen..
              Ed

              --- In RCX400@yahoogroups.com, "autostaretx" <rseymour@...> wrote:

              > --- In RCX400@yahoogroups.com, "clearviewh" <clearview@> wrote:
              > >
              > > I tried -1, but that was too much, and 0 not enough....
              > > I don't quite understand though....Is -1 00.1% ??
              >
              > Yes. (or "-00.1% slower than sidereal, roughly one arcsecond
              > per clock minute of induced "drift"")
              >
              > > That's what I tried to punch in.-001, but it came up -1
              >
              > Yup, that what it does.
              >
              > If you'd like finer control, install my patch kit.
              > Then "-1" means "-00.01%" slower.
              > (and the prompting tells you that...)
              >
              > have fun
              > --dick
              >

              > > --- In RCX400@yahoogroups.com, "surfndaojai" <Jeff.bennett@>
              wrote:

              > > > I use a tracking rate of [-2] for imaging and that seems to
              work
              > well.

              > top
              > > be
              > or
              > > > minus
              > using
              > +70....At
              > get it

            • clearviewh
              Message 6 of 11 , Nov 1, 2006
                Ok Dick, I see I have 2.1h so, what all do I need to install??