Re: Corrector plate - cleaning required?

  • ldjhandm
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 8, 2013
      Sorry - should have said - see photos/lawrence

      --- In RCX400@yahoogroups.com, "ldjhandm" <lawrence@...> wrote:

      > I have uploaded two pictures of my 12" RCX400 corrector plate. I would really appreciate an expert assessment of whether I should be cleaning this plate or leave as is. It seems very dusty to me. I have tried a small air blower and found that it has no effect whatever on any of the dust particles.

    • garyjm1
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 1 5:30 PM
        Since no experts responded I will being a non-expert and I hope you don't mind. I have heard that it takes a whole lot of dust to affect performance. From what I can see, I would guess there would be very little performance impact. It's probably more cosmetic than anything. Personally, I clean my optics after every use with high pressured air. And, if I'm not looking through the scope at the moment the dust cap gets put back on. Of course I'm extreme with my treatment of things and I realize most people would not go to this extent. You can always have Meade clean the optics. I did just that recently and they did a really good job. How clean do the optics look inside the OTA, like the primary, secondary, and the inside of the corrector? My secondary looked horrible. Since I bought my RCX400 10" used, I had to accept that the scope came with dirty optics.

        Best regards,
        Gary

        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 2 10:44 AM
          Hi Gary

          Thanks for your comments. Maybe you missed all the responses, including those from the experts! I do put the cap back on after every session - I'm sure that everyone does this. I am slowly going through the processes suggested to me.

          best wishes

          Lawrence