Re: Focus Problem - Please Help!

  • garyjm1
    Message 1 of 22 , May 4, 2013
      Okay, I finally had time to try this. Here is a description of Calibrate Focus and 957 (which both appear to do the same thing physically):

      Calibrate Focus and 957

      Initial distance from corrector retaining ring to cell front edge = 31mm (same measured at all three motor locations).

      Display:
          Calibrate Focus
          Find Limits

      Corrector moves back fast to 35mm (this doesn't seem far enough)
      Corrector moves forward slow.
      Corrector stops.
      Corrector Moves back fast a short distance.
      Corrector Move forward fast a short distance.
      Corrector Stops.

      Display:
          Calibrate Focus
          Find Backlash

      At this point it seems to lock up or I don't understand what to do next. No amount of button pushing seems to get it to go beyond this point or allow me to Abort including "Mode".
      I power cycle the scope to recover.

      Here is a description of Focus (OTA horizontal looking from the front):

      Display:

      Focuser
      Speed = medium
      Pos = 0.00mm

      Up Arrow:

      Upper right and upper left motors move corrector back a short distance.
      Lower motor does nothing.
      "At Limit" displayed with beep.

      Down Arrow:

      Upper right and upper left motors move corrector forward a short distance.
      Lower motor does nothing.
      "At Limit" displayed with beep.

      The firmware version is: 2.2i, the latest I believe.
      I did an Autostar reset which had no affect on the outcome.
      I have not reloaded the firmware (yet).

      I would guess that the Calibrate Focus is not working correctly but I'm not sure because I don't know what to expect.

      Yes, I'm using AC power (5A).

      The scope is in excellent condition with no visible damage what so ever. It was Supercharged by Dr. Clay and after this I bought it
      from Highpoint Scientific where it was a consignment sale.

      This has got to be something simple, but maybe not simple to fix?

      Returning to Meade is an absolute last resort.

      Any ideas on what might be going on here?

      Thanks!
      Gary

      --- In RCX400@yahoogroups.com, "Jason Ware" <jtw@...> wrote:

      > Try a factory recalibrate...
      >
      > Setup/Telescope/Focuser/Collimate
      >
      > press the key sequence "957"
      >
      > This will trigger a OTA recalibration sequence.
      >

      > --
      > -Jason Ware

      > VISIT MY ASTROPHOTOGRAPHY HOMEPAGE!!
      > ASTRO IMAGES FOR DOWN-LOAD, TIPS, REPRINTS

    • johansea
      Message 2 of 22 , May 4, 2013
        Gday Gary

        I walked all of this code many years ago and will have to dig out my notes, but IIRC the difference between 957 and the standard cal focus is that one of them resets ALL the internal vars and clears all the presets and the other doesnt.
        If you run patched firmware, ( with the peek part selected )
        there is a special tab in my PEC editor that allows all the relevant working vars to be peeked from the scope.
        That may highlight something.

        Andrew Johansen Melbourne Australia

        --- In RCX400@yahoogroups.com, "garyjm1" <garyjm2@...> wrote:

        > Okay, I finally had time to try this. Here is a description of Calibrate Focus and 957 (which both appear to do the same thing physically):
        >
        > Calibrate Focus and 957
        >
        > Initial distance from corrector retaining ring to cell front edge = 31mm (same measured at all three motor locations).
        >
        > Display:
        >     Calibrate Focus
        >     Find Limits
        >
        > Corrector moves back fast to 35mm (this doesn't seem far enough)
        > Corrector moves forward slow.
        > Corrector stops.
        > Corrector Moves back fast a short distance.
        > Corrector Move forward fast a short distance.
        > Corrector Stops.
        >
        > Display:
        >     Calibrate Focus
        >     Find Backlash
        >
        > At this point it seems to lock up or I don't understand what to do next. No amount of button pushing seems to get it to go beyond this point or allow me to Abort including "Mode".
        > I power cycle the scope to recover.
        >

        > Here is a description of Focus (OTA horizontal looking from the front):
        >
        > Display:
        >
        > Focuser
        > Speed = medium
        > Pos = 0.00mm
        >
        > Up Arrow:
        >
        > Upper right and upper left motors move corrector back a short distance.
        > Lower motor does nothing.
        > "At Limit" displayed with beep.
        >
        > Down Arrow:
        >
        > Upper right and upper left motors move corrector forward a short distance.
        > Lower motor does nothing.
        > "At Limit" displayed with beep.
        >
        > The firmware version is: 2.2i, the latest I believe.
        > I did an Autostar reset which had no affect on the outcome.
        > I have not reloaded the firmware (yet).
        >
        > I would guess that the Calibrate Focus is not working correctly but I'm not sure because I don't know what to expect.
        >
        > Yes, I'm using AC power (5A).
        >
        > The scope is in excellent condition with no visible damage what so ever. It was Supercharged by Dr. Clay and after this I bought it
        > from Highpoint Scientific where it was a consignment sale.
        >
        > This has got to be something simple, but maybe not simple to fix?
        >
        > Returning to Meade is an absolute last resort.
        >
        > Any ideas on what might be going on here?
        >
        > Thanks!
        > Gary
        >
        > --- In RCX400@yahoogroups.com, "Jason Ware" <jtw@> wrote:
        > >

        > > Try a factory recalibrate...
        > >
        > > Setup/Telescope/Focuser/Collimate
        > >
        > > press the key sequence "957"
        > >
        > > This will trigger a OTA recalibration sequence.
        > >

        > > --
        > > -Jason Ware

        > > VISIT MY ASTROPHOTOGRAPHY HOMEPAGE!!
        > > ASTRO IMAGES FOR DOWN-LOAD, TIPS, REPRINTS

      • garyjm1
        Message 3 of 22 , May 5, 2013
          Thank you Andrew. I appreciate whatever help you can offer. Right now, I'm feeling pretty bummed out...

          --- In RCX400@yahoogroups.com, "johansea" <johansea@...> wrote:

> [...]
          > >
          > > Yes, I'm using AC power (5A).
          > >
          > > The scope is in excellent condition with no visible damage what so ever. It was Supercharged by Dr. Clay and after this I bought it
          > > from Highpoint Scientific where it was a consignment sale.
          > >
          > > This has got to be something simple, but maybe not simple to fix?
          > >
          > > Returning to Meade is an absolute last resort.
          > >
          > > Any ideas on what might be going on here?
          > >
          > > Thanks!
          > > Gary
          > >
          > > --- In RCX400@yahoogroups.com, "Jason Ware" <jtw@> wrote:
          > > >

          > > > Try a factory recalibrate...
          > > >
          > > > Setup/Telescope/Focuser/Collimate
          > > >
          > > > press the key sequence "957"
          > > >
          > > > This will trigger a OTA recalibration sequence.
          > > >

          > > > --
          > > > -Jason Ware

          > > > VISIT MY ASTROPHOTOGRAPHY HOMEPAGE!!
          > > > ASTRO IMAGES FOR DOWN-LOAD, TIPS, REPRINTS

        • garyjm1
          Message 4 of 22 , May 7, 2013
            Well, it looks like I am going to have to return this to Meade for focuser repair and upgrading. For those of you that have gone through this and returns for other reasons, can you please tell me what exactly Meade does for the upgrades?

            Thanks again,
            Gary

            --- In RCX400@yahoogroups.com, "garyjm1" <garyjm2@...> wrote:

            > I have a 10" RCX400 that I recently acquired in excellent condition except I and am having an issue with focusing. Here is a description of what happens when I try various functions:
            >
            > Focus:
            >
            > Top (tube horizontal) two motors/rods move corrector. Bottom motor/rod does not ever move.
            > Corrector moves a short distance and then hear beep.
            > Display shows "At Limit".
            >
            > Calibrate Focus (all three motors work!):
            >
            > Display:
            > Calibrate Focus
            > Find Limits
            >
            > Corrector moves back fast.
            > Corrector moves forward slow.
            > Corrector stops.
            > Corrector moves back fast a short distance.
            > Corrector moves forward fast a short distance.
            > Corrector stops
            >
            > Display:
            > Calibrate Focus
            > Find Backlash
            >
            > At this point it seems to lock up or I don't understand what to do next. No amount of button pushing seems to get it to go beyond this point. What is it trying to do here when it displays Find Backlash?
            > I power cycle the scope to recover.
            >

            > Collimate Scope
            >
            > Display:
            >
            > Setting Default
            > Collimating...
            >
            > Top two motors/rods move corrector. Bottom motor/rod does not move (is this normal?).
            > Should you press Enter when this is complete? When I did it beeped.
            > Are the top two motors the only ones ever used to Collimate?
            >

            > Calibrate Focus proves the motors/rods are all working and the corrector moves evenly. I have read my issue may be related to the transmitter not being aligned with the optical limit sensor. Where is this optical limit sensor located? Why doesn't Calibrate focus see the limit switch problem that Focus does?
            >
            > This scope was Supercharged 1/12 by Doctor Clay by the previous owner and I bought it mid 2012. I'm just getting around to trying it out now. I really don't want to return it to Meade.
            >
            > I really appreciate any help that you guys can offer me!
            >
            > Thanks,
            > Gary

          • Jim
            Message 5 of 22 , May 8, 2013
              Gary

              Have you talked to a tech person at Meade before you decide to go that route? It doesn't sound like a mechanical problem with the motors or rods. When the Calibrate Focus finishes, you have to <MODE> back to main menu. Resetting the focus settings should reset the focuser so that you don't prematurely run into the end of the shaft. This is a a very complex instrument, and there is a lot to learn.

              Jim

              --- In RCX400@yahoogroups.com, "garyjm1" <garyjm2@...> wrote:

              > Well, it looks like I am going to have to return this to Meade for focuser repair and upgrading. For those of you that have gone through this and returns for other reasons, can you please tell me what exactly Meade does for the upgrades?
              >
              > Thanks again,
              > Gary
              >
              > --- In RCX400@yahoogroups.com, "garyjm1" <garyjm2@> wrote:
              > >
              > > I have a 10" RCX400 that I recently acquired in excellent condition except I and am having an issue with focusing. Here is a description of what happens when I try various functions:
              > >
              > > Focus:
              > >
              > > Top (tube horizontal) two motors/rods move corrector. Bottom motor/rod does not ever move.
              > > Corrector moves a short distance and then hear beep.
              > > Display shows "At Limit".
              > >
              > > Calibrate Focus (all three motors work!):
              > >
              > > Display:
              > > Calibrate Focus
              > > Find Limits
              > >
              > > Corrector moves back fast.
              > > Corrector moves forward slow.
              > > Corrector stops.
              > > Corrector moves back fast a short distance.
              > > Corrector moves forward fast a short distance.
              > > Corrector stops
              > >
              > > Display:
              > > Calibrate Focus
              > > Find Backlash
              > >
              > > At this point it seems to lock up or I don't understand what to do next. No amount of button pushing seems to get it to go beyond this point. What is it trying to do here when it displays Find Backlash?
              > > I power cycle the scope to recover.
              > >

              > > Collimate Scope
              > >
              > > Display:
              > >
              > > Setting Default
              > > Collimating...
              > >
              > > Top two motors/rods move corrector. Bottom motor/rod does not move (is this normal?).
              > > Should you press Enter when this is complete? When I did it beeped.
              > > Are the top two motors the only ones ever used to Collimate?
              > >

              > > Calibrate Focus proves the motors/rods are all working and the corrector moves evenly. I have read my issue may be related to the transmitter not being aligned with the optical limit sensor. Where is this optical limit sensor located? Why doesn't Calibrate focus see the limit switch problem that Focus does?
              > >
              > > This scope was Supercharged 1/12 by Doctor Clay by the previous owner and I bought it mid 2012. I'm just getting around to trying it out now. I really don't want to return it to Meade.
              > >
              > > I really appreciate any help that you guys can offer me!
              > >
              > > Thanks,
              > > Gary

            • garyjm1
              Message 6 of 22 , May 8, 2013
                Yes Jim, I have talked to both Meade and Dr. Clay. Meade can't explain and Dr. Clay says to return. Calibrate Focus locks up like this after the Find Limits process:

                Display:
                Calibrate Focus
                Find Backlash

                Pressing 'Mode' does nothing. Should it show Find Backlash immediately after Calibrate Focus? What should it be doing at this point? How much should the corrector move? Mine only moves a total of about 4mm. I just don't know what to expect from this scope so I don't know what's normal. Of course only two motors moving during Focusing which is not normal. If there was anyway that I could avoid returning to Meade I would. I'm trying to find out what Meade does when it gets returned. I'm thinking I'm too late to the party with this scope since they are history and I guess a lot of owners have moved on or forgotten the details. Thanks for your reply Jim.

                Gary

                --- In RCX400@yahoogroups.com, "Jim" <jim@...> wrote:

> [...]
                > > >
                > > > Setting Default
                > > > Collimating...
                > > >
                > > > Top two motors/rods move corrector. Bottom motor/rod does not move (is this normal?).
                > > > Should you press Enter when this is complete? When I did it beeped.
                > > > Are the top two motors the only ones ever used to Collimate?
                > > >

                > > > Calibrate Focus proves the motors/rods are all working and the corrector moves evenly. I have read my issue may be related to the transmitter not being aligned with the optical limit sensor. Where is this optical limit sensor located? Why doesn't Calibrate focus see the limit switch problem that Focus does?
                > > >
                > > > This scope was Supercharged 1/12 by Doctor Clay by the previous owner and I bought it mid 2012. I'm just getting around to trying it out now. I really don't want to return it to Meade.
                > > >
                > > > I really appreciate any help that you guys can offer me!

              • johansea
                Message 7 of 22 , May 8, 2013
                  Gday Gary

                  I have found my old notes
                  During Focussing, as you surmise,
                  all three motors should move.
                  During Collimating,
                  the answer is using the left right keys will
                  make one motor go Fwds and the other in reverse,
                  thus keeping the centroid of the corrector in the same spot
                  so not losing focus.
                  Using the Up/Down keys will make two motors go one way
                  and the other motor will go the opposite way
                  ( at a slightly higher speed )
                  thus again keeping the centroid of the corrector
                  in a common point.
                  The fact all three motors work during collimate
                  ( and at controlled speeds ),
                  but one wont work when focussing is truly weird.
                  I will walk the code to see where the screen prompts change
                  as that may highlight where in the code it gets stuck.

                • rick_bromley@ymail.com
                  Message 8 of 22 , May 9, 2013
                    Gary
                    I think I have had a similar problem that the three motor are working but the bottom drive shaft is motionless. My problem came about when I was calibrating the focus the front glass/secondary mirror moved forward and the bottom drive over run the limits. When I took the two front guard off. I notice that one of the metal strip sensors reader that is fix to the moving part of the focuser was hanging off. So the sensor could not see its limit. All three front focusing assemblies are attached to the rear motors by a carbon fibre shaft which as an Aluminium and rubber clutch at both ends. This is to prevent serious damage if the focusers over shoot. To reconnect follow the following instruction.

                    1 Place scope in a position which is easy to work with.
                    2 Remove the three screws that hold the front plastic guard.
                    3 Remove 6 screws fro the metal shroud.
                    4 Remove the front optical assembly six screws make sure you disconnect the heater. Don't worry it can only go on one way, the heating plug is too short to go anywhere else.
                    5 Make sure the corrector ring that fits on the three focusing assemblies is moved forward, you will have to wind the bottom focus screw by hand while moving the other via the control. You need the space for the Alan Key. Make sure the position of the focusing assemblies are in roughly in the same position in relation to the sensors.
                    6 Most important remove the small printed circuit that carries the sensors otherwise you can damage them with the Alan Key. Just unscrew and let it hang there but be careful there are two small white nylon spaces on the back keeping the board isolated from the metal.
                    7 Unscrew the four screws that hold the focus assembly.
                    8 Inside the telescope tube you will notice that the sides as a plastic looking cover. You can insert a small knife near the front of the plastic where it fits the telescope and it will lift up, Do this near the area where the problem is.
                    9 You should be able to see the carbon fibre shaft. Line up the focus assembly clutch you will have to pull the assemble away from the front face so you have room for the shaft to come central with the mating clutch and push home.
                    Secure the assembly and the printed circuit board back and test with the control.
                    10 You can clean the optics now if you wish.
                    11 MAKE SURE ALL THE THREE METAL STRIPS ON THE FOCUS ASSEMBLIES ARE SECURE, ON MY SCOPE THE ADDISIVE WAS PERISHED AND THEY WERE ALL LOOSE. THIS MAY BE A GOOD IDEA IF ALL OWNERS OF A RCX400 DID THIS INSPECTION.
                    12 Reassemble the scope and calibrate.
                    13 HAVE A PINT OF BEER OR A GALLON

                    Don't worry it sound harder than it is.

                    Good luck
                    Rick Bromley

                  • garyjm1
                    Message 9 of 22 , May 9, 2013
                      Thank you Andrew, I really appreciate your help. Just a clarification that on my scope it's the Calibrate Focus that moves three motors, Focus moves only two with "At Limit" and Collimate only moves two (which sounds right) except it also gives the "At Limit". I'll have to try the Collimate again since I was not concentraiting too much on this one. I may have already posted this on the group here, I'd have to go back and check.

                    • garyjm1
                      Message 10 of 22 , May 9, 2013
                        Thanks Rick. I'll read through your procedure and see if it applies to my situation. My initial impression is that my problem is somewhat different from yours. One point I wanted to clarify is that when I Calibrate Focus all three motors/rods/corrector moves fine but only about 4mm total forward and back. Focus only moves two motors/rods/corrector with the dreaded "AT Limit" and a beep.

                        --- In RCX400@yahoogroups.com, "rick_bromley@..." <rick@...> wrote:

> [...]
                        > > >
                        > > > Display:
                        > > > Calibrate Focus
                        > > > Find Backlash
                        > > >
                        > > > Pressing 'Mode' does nothing. Should it show Find Backlash immediately after Calibrate Focus? What should it be doing at this point? How much should the corrector move? Mine only moves a total of about 4mm. I just don't know what to expect from this scope so I don't know what's normal. Of course only two motors moving during Focusing which is not normal. If there was anyway that I could avoid returning to Meade I would. I'm trying to find out what Meade does when it gets returned. I'm thinking I'm too late to the party with this scope since they are history and I guess a lot of owners have moved on or forgotten the details. Thanks for your reply Jim.

                      • Rick Bromley
                        Message 11 of 22 , May 9, 2013
                          Gary
                          I would check If the metal sensor limiter is still in the right place, if its slipped you will get false readings.
                          Rick
> [...]

                          > > > Display:
                          > > > Calibrate Focus
                          > > > Find Backlash
                          > > >
                          > > > Pressing 'Mode' does nothing. Should it show Find Backlash immediately after Calibrate Focus? What should it be doing at this point? How much should the corrector move? Mine only moves a total of about 4mm. I just don't know what to expect from this scope so I don't know what's normal. Of course only two motors moving during Focusing which is not normal. If there was anyway that I could avoid returning to Meade I would. I'm trying to find out what Meade does when it gets returned. I'm thinking I'm too late to the party with this scope since they are history and I guess a lot of owners have moved on or forgotten the details. Thanks for your reply Jim.

                        • Rick Bromley
                          Message 12 of 22 , May 9, 2013
                            Gary
                            What happen when you just move the focusing, do all the three motors
                            and rods move?
                            Rick
> [...]

                            > > > Display:
                            > > > Calibrate Focus
                            > > > Find Backlash
                            > > >
                            > > > Pressing 'Mode' does nothing. Should it show Find Backlash immediately after Calibrate Focus? What should it be doing at this point? How much should the corrector move? Mine only moves a total of about 4mm. I just don't know what to expect from this scope so I don't know what's normal. Of course only two motors moving during Focusing which is not normal. If there was anyway that I could avoid returning to Meade I would. I'm trying to find out what Meade does when it gets returned. I'm thinking I'm too late to the party with this scope since they are history and I guess a lot of owners have moved on or forgotten the details. Thanks for your reply Jim.

                          • johansea
                            Message 13 of 22 , May 9, 2013
                              Gday Gary

                              --- In RCX400@yahoogroups.com, "garyjm1" <garyjm2@...> wrote:

                              > Just a clarification that on my scope it's the
                              > Calibrate Focus that moves three motors,
                              > Focus moves only two with "At Limit"

                              Understood
                              My first thought was an encoder was playing up
                              hence allowing full speed running
                              but not controlled speed running.
                              but yr notes

                              seem to preclude that.

                              > and Collimate only moves two (which sounds right)
                              > except it also gives the "At Limit".

                              As per before, it should move 3 motors
                              when doing Up/Dn colimation and 2 motors
                              when doing Right/Left moves.

                              The "At Limits" test is interesting as it doesnt always work.
                              Ie if you set and use presets, the scope can actually drive the
                              corrector into the stops as it doesnt test for the stops till
                              it has moved a set distance, and it cant move that distance
                              if the presets are not correct.
                              It is sounding more lime one of the opto sensors isnt working.

                              Message 14 of 22 , May 13, 2013
                                As I had mentioned Rick, Focus only moves two motors/rods/corrector with the dreaded "AT Limit" and a beep. At this point the scope is packed up and waiting for UPS to pick up for return to the mother ship. I want them to retrofit my focusing system which apparently was part of the first run with this problem. I'm going to start some new threads on other topics now that resolution to this issue is underway (I hope!). Thanks for your thoughts there Rick!

                                Gary

                              • garyjm1
                                Message 15 of 22 , May 13, 2013
                                  I appreciate you checking into this for me Andrew. At this point the scope is packed up and waiting for UPS to pick up for return to the mother ship. I want them to retrofit my focusing system which apparently was part of the first run with this problem. I'm going to start some new threads on other topics now that resolution to this issue is underway (I hope!).

                                  Gary

                                  Message 16 of 22 , May 14, 2013

                                    Gary

                                    I hope they can resolve your problem, my scope is permanently  mounted with direct power no batteries. I think some of the problem with this scope was down to people relying solely  on batteries which can cause power spikes. I think the optics on a RCX are one of the best for the money , mechanical it could have been better. I have replaced the clutch and the drive gears on my scope, the nylon gear was never a good idea for a precision scope the problem is when they are hobbing (cutting) the teeth, heat is generated and the tooth spacing can vary this will show up when you use Pempro. Instead of smooth cyclic curves there will be irregularity’s.  One of the reasons they use nylon is it’s self-lubricating properties and to make the gears run quieter. Meade then lubricated the gears and put motors in that are noisy rendering both reasons for using nylon as void. I’m an engineer so replacing the gear was not a problem and if you are practical minded it not hard.

                                    Rick