Re: PEC help with PemPro

  • Bob
    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 29 2:04 PM
      Thanks Guys

      We've got a few rainny days here, so I'll try your advice next clear
      nights.

      - Bob

      --- In RCX400@yahoogroups.com, "ldjhandm" wrote:

      > I have read this thread up to date. My first comment is that you must
      ensure that you have read the RCX400-specific notes that Ray provides.
      They work a treat.

      > First thing: do a test run PEC measure (don't zero it or change it at
      all) to see what your current PEC is. This is merely to see - not to use
      in any way. Your final result needs to be much better than this - so see
      it as a challenge.

      > Secondly, when you come to do your first run, as the instructions say
      ;-) zero the PEC so that you get a raw PEC for your scope. It is most
      important *** that you fully calibrate your image scale***. The software
      provides a suitable method. Your results will be utter rubbish if you
      don't calibrate properly. All the calculations depend on this
      calibration.......... (remember the saying ' garbage in - garbage out').

      > The rest is up to you.
      >
      > One other suggestion: After you have uploaded your first stage
      optimised PEC curve, do a PEC measured run of just one cycle (or less
      depending)! This is merely to confirm that you produced the correct PEC
      correction. If the curve was done wrongly you will see it within 20 - 60
      seconds or so. If it is OK then re-sync the virtual handbox (you did
      read Ray's instructions....?) and then do a formal run of three full
      cycles. If the quick check was horrible, then reload the measured PEC
      and invert it (as per Ray's instructions). Repeat the 20 - 60 second
      test to confirm it is now OK.

      > When OK, do the full 3 cycles. Don't repeat until the first stage
      gives a good result.

      > etc. etc.
      >
      > Lawrence Harris
      >
      > --- In RCX400@yahoogroups.com, "Bob" bob@ wrote:
      > >
      > > Hi All,
      > >
      > > I'm trying to improve my PEC and I'm embarrassed to say I just don't
      get it.

      > > I have PemPro. I acquire the data and create a PEC curve and upload
      it to my mount. There has to be more to it than that and I don't know
      what I am suppose to be looking for and what I am suppose to to to
      improve it.

      > > I see that after I acquire the data, and create a PEC Curve, it show
      the Peak to Peak PE as 86.30 Arc-seconds and the RMS as 26.78
      Arc-seconds.

      > > I have a feeling that this is not good and I don't know what is good
      and how to improve it.

      > > Thanks for all and any help
      > >
      > > - Bob

    • Jim
      Message 2 of 8 , Apr 30 11:14 AM
        Bob,

        Don't be embarrassed. It isn't that easy to understand. I have spent years trying to learn how to use this.

        Jim