Sharpless Catalog

  • Peter
    Message 1 of 21 , Jul 7 9:32 PM
      Is there a way to enter Sharpless items into the Autostat handbox?

      Thanks;

      Peter
    • autostaretx
      Message 2 of 21 , Jul 7 10:21 PM
        --- In RCX400@yahoogroups.com, "Peter" <peterproulx@...> wrote:

        > Is there a way to enter Sharpless items into the Autostat handbox?

        Many...

        There are at least three methods you can use:
        (a) create "User Objects" (the LX200gps can handle 20 different lists)
        (b) create "Tours" ... and the LX200gps will only offer the above-horizon ones at any given time
        (c) control the scope from a PC, using a program like "Astroplanner" which can create observing lists from dozens of data sources and command the scope to slew there.

        Many planetarium programs (TheSky, Astroplanner, etc) can create Meade-syntaxed lists of User Objects and Tours for downloading to the scope.
        Those would not require having the scope connected to the PC during an observing session.

        The Autostar II provides 300 kbytes of "user objects" storage.
        That space is shared by Comets, Asteroids, Satellites, Tours, User Objects and Landmarks. It's also used by the scope for other storage activities, such as PEC and SMT datasets.

        Andrew Johansen's MyScope utility lets you investigate/extract what's in there now, and can push new lists into the Autostar. Meade's ASU is the other utility for sending and retrieving the lists.

        Google the web... i would not be at all surprised if you found that folks have already generated Meade-formatted Sharpless tours and lists.
        The big problem with in-Autostar tours and lists are that your only method of access to an individual target is either by scrolling through a long list (although the User Objects can be sub-divided into 20 lists), or by pulling the trick of entering an NGC catalog number, then menuing to your Sharpless list... which will be entered at that cardinal entry point. (so setting "NGC 200" will enter the Sharpless list at the 200th entry)

        have fun
        --dick
      • autostaretx
        Message 3 of 21 , Jul 7 10:22 PM
          Whoops... where ever i wrote "LX200gps", you can substitute "RCX400"
          --dick

          --- In RCX400@yahoogroups.com, "autostaretx" <rseymour@...> wrote:

          > --- In RCX400@yahoogroups.com, "Peter" <peterproulx@> wrote:
          > >
          > > Is there a way to enter Sharpless items into the Autostat handbox?
          >
          > Many...
          >
          > There are at least three methods you can use:
          > (a) create "User Objects" (the LX200gps can handle 20 different lists)
          > (b) create "Tours" ... and the LX200gps will only offer the above-horizon ones at any given time
          > (c) control the scope from a PC, using a program like "Astroplanner" which can create observing lists from dozens of data sources and command the scope to slew there.
          >
          > Many planetarium programs (TheSky, Astroplanner, etc) can create Meade-syntaxed lists of User Objects and Tours for downloading to the scope.
          > Those would not require having the scope connected to the PC during an observing session.
          >
          > The Autostar II provides 300 kbytes of "user objects" storage.
          > That space is shared by Comets, Asteroids, Satellites, Tours, User Objects and Landmarks. It's also used by the scope for other storage activities, such as PEC and SMT datasets.
          >
          > Andrew Johansen's MyScope utility lets you investigate/extract what's in there now, and can push new lists into the Autostar. Meade's ASU is the other utility for sending and retrieving the lists.
          >
          > Google the web... i would not be at all surprised if you found that folks have already generated Meade-formatted Sharpless tours and lists.
          > The big problem with in-Autostar tours and lists are that your only method of access to an individual target is either by scrolling through a long list (although the User Objects can be sub-divided into 20 lists), or by pulling the trick of entering an NGC catalog number, then menuing to your Sharpless list... which will be entered at that cardinal entry point. (so setting "NGC 200" will enter the Sharpless list at the 200th entry)
          >
          > have fun
          > --dick

        • Steven Elliott
          Message 4 of 21 , Jul 7 10:48 PM
            Sorry if I missed something, but I believe the Sharpless list is contained in the MaximDL catalog?

            Steve E

            To: RCX400@yahoogroups.com
            From: rseymour@...
            Date: Sun, 8 Jul 2012 05:22:46 +0000
            Subject: [RCX400] Re: Sharpless Catalog

            Whoops... where ever i wrote "LX200gps", you can substitute "RCX400"
            --dick

            --- In RCX400@yahoogroups.com, "autostaretx" <rseymour@...> wrote:

            > --- In RCX400@yahoogroups.com, "Peter" <peterproulx@> wrote:
            > >
            > > Is there a way to enter Sharpless items into the Autostat handbox?
            >
            > Many...
            >
            > There are at least three methods you can use:
            > (a) create "User Objects" (the LX200gps can handle 20 different lists)
            > (b) create "Tours" ... and the LX200gps will only offer the above-horizon ones at any given time
            > (c) control the scope from a PC, using a program like "Astroplanner" which can create observing lists from dozens of data sources and command the scope to slew there.
            >
            > Many planetarium programs (TheSky, Astroplanner, etc) can create Meade-syntaxed lists of User Objects and Tours for downloading to the scope.
            > Those would not require having the scope connected to the PC during an observing session.
            >
            > The Autostar II provides 300 kbytes of "user objects" storage.
            > That space is shared by Comets, Asteroids, Satellites, Tours, User Objects and Landmarks. It's also used by the scope for other storage activities, such as PEC and SMT datasets.
            >
            > Andrew Johansen's MyScope utility lets you investigate/extract what's in there now, and can push new lists into the Autostar. Meade's ASU is the other utility for sending and retrieving the lists.
            >
            > Google the web... i would not be at all surprised if you found that folks have already generated Meade-formatted Sharpless tours and lists.
            > The big problem with in-Autostar tours and lists are that your only method of access to an individual target is either by scrolling through a long list (although the User Objects can be sub-divided into 20 lists), or by pulling the trick of entering an NGC catalog number, then menuing to your Sharpless list... which will be entered at that cardinal entry point. (so setting "NGC 200" will enter the Sharpless list at the 200th entry)
            >
            > have fun
            > --dick

          • Peter
            Message 5 of 21 , Jul 8 10:56 AM
              i was under the impression that this existing as part of the standard object database. I did get me scope supercharged by Doc Clay I think he might have sent along a disk that includes these objects. I had to send my RCX in for service to meade and they wiped memory. I'll hunt the disk down and see if its there. It is easy enough to add items or use outside programs to get to these objects. I do use Maxim so I will give that a try.

              Thanks!

              Peter

              > Sorry if I missed something, but I believe the Sharpless list is contained in the MaximDL catalog? Steve E
              > To: RCX400@yahoogroups.com
              > From: rseymour@...
              > Date: Sun, 8 Jul 2012 05:22:46 +0000
              > Subject: [RCX400] Re: Sharpless Catalog

              > Whoops... where ever i wrote "LX200gps", you can substitute "RCX400"
              >
              > --dick
              >

              > --- In RCX400@yahoogroups.com, "autostaretx" <rseymour@> wrote:
              >

              > > --- In RCX400@yahoogroups.com, "Peter" <peterproulx@> wrote:
              >

              > > > Is there a way to enter Sharpless items into the Autostat handbox?
              >

              > > Many...
              >

              > > There are at least three methods you can use:
              >
              > > (a) create "User Objects" (the LX200gps can handle 20 different lists)
              >
              > > (b) create "Tours" ... and the LX200gps will only offer the above-horizon ones at any given time
              >
              > > (c) control the scope from a PC, using a program like "Astroplanner" which can create observing lists from dozens of data sources and command the scope to slew there.
              >

              > > Many planetarium programs (TheSky, Astroplanner, etc) can create Meade-syntaxed lists of User Objects and Tours for downloading to the scope.
              >
              > > Those would not require having the scope connected to the PC during an observing session.
              >

              > > The Autostar II provides 300 kbytes of "user objects" storage.
              >
              > > That space is shared by Comets, Asteroids, Satellites, Tours, User Objects and Landmarks. It's also used by the scope for other storage activities, such as PEC and SMT datasets.
              >

              > > Andrew Johansen's MyScope utility lets you investigate/extract what's in there now, and can push new lists into the Autostar. Meade's ASU is the other utility for sending and retrieving the lists.
              >

              > > Google the web... i would not be at all surprised if you found that folks have already generated Meade-formatted Sharpless tours and lists.
              >
              > > The big problem with in-Autostar tours and lists are that your only method of access to an individual target is either by scrolling through a long list (although the User Objects can be sub-divided into 20 lists), or by pulling the trick of entering an NGC catalog number, then menuing to your Sharpless list... which will be entered at that cardinal entry point. (so setting "NGC 200" will enter the Sharpless list at the 200th entry)
              >

              > > have fun
              >
              > > --dick

            • Steven Elliott
              Message 6 of 21 , Jul 8 1:42 PM
                Good Luck Peter.

                To avoid Meade ever destroying your scope's memory again, you can back up your mount memory (Autostar memory) by using "My Scope", a free application. You can back everything up, then if you need it for such a reason, you can re-install it all into your mount again, including PEC corrections etc.

                If you want this little piece of genius any of these guys can send you the link, I can't find it at the moment, or just search it out. The guy is from Melbourne Australia and deserves a prize for such a neat product.

                BTW, Dr Clay could also fix your scope, you don't need to be beholden to Meade for anything - they have little to offer these days and I would ask Clay anytime - whatever he charges you, the results will absolutely exceed anything Meade could, or would, do for you.

                Take care, Clear Skies and enjoy.

                Steve E

                To: RCX400@yahoogroups.com
                From: peterproulx@...
                Date: Sun, 8 Jul 2012 17:56:06 +0000

                i was under the impression that this existing as part of the standard object database. I did get me scope supercharged by Doc Clay I think he might have sent along a disk that includes these objects. I had to send my RCX in for service to meade and they wiped memory. I'll hunt the disk down and see if its there. It is easy enough to add items or use outside programs to get to these objects. I do use Maxim so I will give that a try.

                Thanks!

                Peter

                > Sorry if I missed something, but I believe the Sharpless list is contained in the MaximDL catalog? Steve E
                > To: RCX400@yahoogroups.com
                > From: rseymour@...
                > Date: Sun, 8 Jul 2012 05:22:46 +0000
                > Subject: [RCX400] Re: Sharpless Catalog

                > Whoops... where ever i wrote "LX200gps", you can substitute "RCX400"
                >
                > --dick
                >

                > --- In RCX400@yahoogroups.com, "autostaretx" <rseymour@> wrote:
                >

                > > --- In RCX400@yahoogroups.com, "Peter" <peterproulx@> wrote:
                >

                > > > Is there a way to enter Sharpless items into the Autostat handbox?
                >

                > > Many...
                >

                > > There are at least three methods you can use:
                >
                > > (a) create "User Objects" (the LX200gps can handle 20 different lists)
                >
                > > (b) create "Tours" ... and the LX200gps will only offer the above-horizon ones at any given time
                >
                > > (c) control the scope from a PC, using a program like "Astroplanner" which can create observing lists from dozens of data sources and command the scope to slew there.
                >

                > > Many planetarium programs (TheSky, Astroplanner, etc) can create Meade-syntaxed lists of User Objects and Tours for downloading to the scope.
                >
                > > Those would not require having the scope connected to the PC during an observing session.
                >

                > > The Autostar II provides 300 kbytes of "user objects" storage.
                >
                > > That space is shared by Comets, Asteroids, Satellites, Tours, User Objects and Landmarks. It's also used by the scope for other storage activities, such as PEC and SMT datasets.
                >

                > > Andrew Johansen's MyScope utility lets you investigate/extract what's in there now, and can push new lists into the Autostar. Meade's ASU is the other utility for sending and retrieving the lists.
                >

                > > Google the web... i would not be at all surprised if you found that folks have already generated Meade-formatted Sharpless tours and lists.
                >
                > > The big problem with in-Autostar tours and lists are that your only method of access to an individual target is either by scrolling through a long list (although the User Objects can be sub-divided into 20 lists), or by pulling the trick of entering an NGC catalog number, then menuing to your Sharpless list... which will be entered at that cardinal entry point. (so setting "NGC 200" will enter the Sharpless list at the 200th entry)
                >

                > > have fun
                >
                > > --dick

              • Steve C. Mitchell, Sr., O.D.
                Message 7 of 21 , Jul 8 8:19 PM

                  Hey Steve,

                  I’m afraid I have to disagree a bit with your statement that “you don’t need to be beholden to Meade for anything”. When my RCX got struck by lightning I had a conversation with Dr. Clay about him fixing it, but his problem was Meade was the only one with parts to fix it. So I had no choice but to send it to Meade for repair. IF any aftermarket company could come up with the electronic boards for these scopes THEN Dr Clay could probably fix about anything for us, but…..meanwhile, back at the ranch! 8>) Sorry, old TV western reference.

                  Steve

                  Stephen C. Mitchell, Sr, OD

                  Scopehill Observatory

                  www.Scopehill.com

                  12", RCX400

                  From: peterproulx@...
                  Date: Sun, 8 Jul 2012 17:56:06 +0000

                  i was under the impression that this existing as part of the standard object database. I did get me scope supercharged by Doc Clay I think he might have sent along a disk that includes these objects. I had to send my RCX in for service to meade and they wiped memory. I'll hunt the disk down and see if its there. It is easy enough to add items or use outside programs to get to these objects. I do use Maxim so I will give that a try.

                  Thanks!

                  Peter

                  > Sorry if I missed something, but I believe the Sharpless list is contained in the MaximDL catalog? Steve E
                  > To: RCX400@yahoogroups.com
                  > From: rseymour@...
                  > Date: Sun, 8 Jul 2012 05:22:46 +0000
                  > Subject: [RCX400] Re: Sharpless Catalog

                  > Whoops... where ever i wrote "LX200gps", you can substitute "RCX400"
                  >
                  > --dick
                  >

                  > --- In RCX400@yahoogroups.com, "autostaretx" <rseymour@> wrote:
                  >

                  > > --- In RCX400@yahoogroups.com, "Peter" <peterproulx@> wrote:
                  >

                  > > > Is there a way to enter Sharpless items into the Autostat handbox?
                  >

                  > > Many...
                  >

                  > > There are at least three methods you can use:
                  >
                  > > (a) create "User Objects" (the LX200gps can handle 20 different lists)
                  >
                  > > (b) create "Tours" ... and the LX200gps will only offer the above-horizon ones at any given time
                  >
                  > > (c) control the scope from a PC, using a program like "Astroplanner" which can create observing lists from dozens of data sources and command the scope to slew there.
                  >

                  > > Many planetarium programs (TheSky, Astroplanner, etc) can create Meade-syntaxed lists of User Objects and Tours for downloading to the scope.
                  >
                  > > Those would not require having the scope connected to the PC during an observing session.
                  >

                  > > The Autostar II provides 300 kbytes of "user objects" storage.
                  >
                  > > That space is shared by Comets, Asteroids, Satellites, Tours, User Objects and Landmarks. It's also used by the scope for other storage activities, such as PEC and SMT datasets.
                  >

                  > > Andrew Johansen's MyScope utility lets you investigate/extract what's in there now, and can push new lists into the Autostar. Meade's ASU is the other utility for sending and retrieving the lists.
                  >

                  > > Google the web... i would not be at all surprised if you found that folks have already generated Meade-formatted Sharpless tours and lists.
                  >
                  > > The big problem with in-Autostar tours and lists are that your only method of access to an individual target is either by scrolling through a long list (although the User Objects can be sub-divided into 20 lists), or by pulling the trick of entering an NGC catalog number, then menuing to your Sharpless list... which will be entered at that cardinal entry point. (so setting "NGC 200" will enter the Sharpless list at the 200th entry)
                  >

                  > > have fun
                  >
                  > > --dick

                • Steven Elliott
                  Message 8 of 21 , Jul 8 9:15 PM
                    HI Steve,

                    Yes, you're right, I do remember your correspondence at that time, and yes, you'd think they'd sell the part if someone as esteemed as Clay wanted it. So in a way that just supports what I'm trying to convey. There is a 1% window of opportunity for Meade, nothing ever really adds up to 100%, but I'm sad to say I can give no more than that, there are just way too many other valid examples, not small complaints, where they have hurt their own customers and paid no more than lip-service. Not me in particular, although I have a couple of fascinating stories too, but just reading the forums is enough to see what's wrong there. Still, you're quite right, if they're holding proprietary parts, then I see the sense in what you've done - if you get them to fix it then Clay to check it, you'd be covered. Of course, you're 'back home', me in NZ I can't just sort of send it out whenever I like. Freight is around $1000 each way! Their unreliability impacts us 'foreigners' directly. As I've told you many times before, I'd never buy anything with their name on it again, nor rely on any kind of sevice from them.
                    Still, as I watch I can see you're having a great time wtih the machine, as I am too, so good luck, may those clear skies continue for all of us.

                    Regards,

                    Steve E

                    To: RCX400@yahoogroups.com

                    From: peterproulx@...
                    Date: Sun, 8 Jul 2012 17:56:06 +0000

                    i was under the impression that this existing as part of the standard object database. I did get me scope supercharged by Doc Clay I think he might have sent along a disk that includes these objects. I had to send my RCX in for service to meade and they wiped memory. I'll hunt the disk down and see if its there. It is easy enough to add items or use outside programs to get to these objects. I do use Maxim so I will give that a try.

                    Thanks!

                    Peter

                    > Sorry if I missed something, but I believe the Sharpless list is contained in the MaximDL catalog? Steve E
                    > To: RCX400@yahoogroups.com
                    > From: rseymour@...
                    > Date: Sun, 8 Jul 2012 05:22:46 +0000
                    > Subject: [RCX400] Re: Sharpless Catalog

                    > Whoops... where ever i wrote "LX200gps", you can substitute "RCX400"
                    >
                    > --dick
                    >

                    > --- In RCX400@yahoogroups.com, "autostaretx" <rseymour@> wrote:
                    >

                    > > --- In RCX400@yahoogroups.com, "Peter" <peterproulx@> wrote:
                    >

                    > > > Is there a way to enter Sharpless items into the Autostat handbox?
                    >

                    > > Many...
                    >

                    > > There are at least three methods you can use:
                    >
                    > > (a) create "User Objects" (the LX200gps can handle 20 different lists)
                    >
                    > > (b) create "Tours" ... and the LX200gps will only offer the above-horizon ones at any given time
                    >
                    > > (c) control the scope from a PC, using a program like "Astroplanner" which can create observing lists from dozens of data sources and command the scope to slew there.
                    >

                    > > Many planetarium programs (TheSky, Astroplanner, etc) can create Meade-syntaxed lists of User Objects and Tours for downloading to the scope.
                    >
                    > > Those would not require having the scope connected to the PC during an observing session.
                    >

                    > > The Autostar II provides 300 kbytes of "user objects" storage.
                    >
                    > > That space is shared by Comets, Asteroids, Satellites, Tours, User Objects and Landmarks. It's also used by the scope for other storage activities, such as PEC and SMT datasets.
                    >

                    > > Andrew Johansen's MyScope utility lets you investigate/extract what's in there now, and can push new lists into the Autostar. Meade's ASU is the other utility for sending and retrieving the lists.
                    >

                    > > Google the web... i would not be at all surprised if you found that folks have already generated Meade-formatted Sharpless tours and lists.
                    >
                    > > The big problem with in-Autostar tours and lists are that your only method of access to an individual target is either by scrolling through a long list (although the User Objects can be sub-divided into 20 lists), or by pulling the trick of entering an NGC catalog number, then menuing to your Sharpless list... which will be entered at that cardinal entry point. (so setting "NGC 200" will enter the Sharpless list at the 200th entry)
                    >

                    > > have fun
                    >
                    > > --dick

                  • Peter
                    Message 9 of 21 , Jul 9 9:05 AM
                      Steve E.;

                      I really have to stick up for Meade. I had my RCX serviced and their support was nothing short of excellent. This was not my first time dealing with Meade's service I have worked with them over the years on our clubs LX200 and my personal LX200, the service has been very good. I have always gotten calls answered in a professional and timely manner.

                      You appear to be bashing them and you state that you have not dealt with them directly? "Not me in particular"?

                      I just think it's unfair to bash them if you haven't directly dealt with their support department. I know in the RCX community we are disappointed that this scope was discontinued and that's a shame it is a great imaging scope that could have been improved with some further development, but we've all discussed that here before. If you are unhappy with Meade there are plenty of competitors that would gladly take your money.

                      For now you can count me as a satisfied customer.

                      Sincerely;

                    • Steven Elliott
                      Message 10 of 21 , Jul 9 2:44 PM
                        Thanks Peter, I'll make a note of it.
                        Yes, I have dealt with them, (my comment you quoted was meant to express that I do not speak only for myself in any particular instance) not on the problem that was discussed, my dealings whilst living in the USA and in NZ have been identical. I've been kept 'holding' on (formerly expensive) overseas phone fcalls for up to an hour with no final resolution, and a list as long as your arm of other discrepancies that you, Peter would also probably not bear. The thing is, I accept a few errors from anyone, or any company. But the list continues to grow logarithmically with many similar points that I don't have direct experience with. Many purchasers are quite embarrassed to discuss this, as I was originally, thinking its some fault of their own.
                        Like the RCX? I like the optics very much too. Other mfgrs produce simlar and better, but RCX is good optics. Open tube design has introduced mold and dust in a way I hadn't anticipated and which I cannot get treated locally. Lack of basic circuit protection, and a mount that cannot be PEC corrected to less than 12 arc sec does point to a poor product - no saving graces here. I have a circuit board that needs fixing and no one wants to touch it. It requires re-ship to perhaps Dr Clay.
                        Another brand. Yes, Peter, I will be purchasing an expensive foreign brand in the next two years from a well-known reputation as a provider of good products and service, even after the warranty runs out.
                        And Peter, I'm not usually a 'complainer', so this is not a moaning topic, I'm trying to support the many others on this forum that feel the samne way in a sympathetic manner. This forum has been good to me, and I've tried to contribute in many other ways too to the best of my ability.
                        And I hope you will be assured that I have high regard for everyone's opinions, as I know you have of mine. I haven't offered any 'meade-bashing' unless in sympathetic support of someone else's heartache.
                        That scope cost me a lot of money, and it will be replaced by a superior scope of higher quality made by a company known for their expertise and willingness in the marketplace of which there are many examples.
                        But until I joined this lovely forum I thought I was the ONLY one suffereing from the meade disease. I know much dirrerently know. It's sad. Still, my good wishes go out to all, and despite the difficulties I admire the way we've adapted. It's all a learning process, and it's one money could not buy in any case.
                        I wish you well, and thanks for your input. I expect there are many similar opinions to both of our comments, I've read them for years now. One does one's best - we're generally on our own with meade.
                        Steve E

                        To: RCX400@yahoogroups.com
                        From: peterproulx@...
                        Date: Mon, 9 Jul 2012 16:05:30 +0000

> [...]

                        > To: RCX400@yahoogroups.com
                        > From: smitchell@...
                        > Date: Mon, 9 Jul 2012 03:19:16 +0000
                        > Subject: RE: [RCX400] Re: Sharpless Catalog

                        > Hey Steve,
                        >
                        > I'm afraid I have to disagree a bit with your statement that "you don't need to be beholden to Meade for anything". When my RCX got struck by lightning I had a
                        > conversation with Dr. Clay about him fixing it, but his problem was Meade was the only one with parts to fix it. So I had no choice but to send it to Meade for repair. IF any aftermarket company could come up with the electronic boards for these scopes THEN
                        > Dr Clay could probably fix about anything for us, but…..meanwhile, back at the ranch! 8>) Sorry, old TV western reference.

                      • Lawrence
                        Message 11 of 21 , Jul 10 2:36 AM
                          Mon Jul 9, 2012 2:44 pm (PDT) . Posted by: "Steven Elliott" elliotts45

                          snip
                          to discuss this, as I was originally, thinking its some fault of their own.Like the RCX? I like the optics very much too. Other mfgrs produce simlar and better, but RCX is good optics. Open tube design has introduced mold and dust in a way I hadn't anticipated and which I cannot get treated locally. Lack of basic circuit protection, and a mount that cannot be PEC corrected to less than 12 arc sec does point to a poor product - no saving graces here. I have a circuit board that needs fixing and no one wants to touch it. It requires re-ship to perhaps Dr Clay.Another brand. Yes, Peter, I will be purchasing an expensive foreign brand in the next two years from a well-known reputation as a provider of good products and service, even after the

                          12 arc.sec?

                          I have repeatedly done PEC on my 12" RCX400 and regularly and routinely achieved *far* better than this. More like 2 - 3 arc.sec if I remember correctly.  I'm about to repeat the PEC on a new part of the worm and will report back in due course (don't hold your breath, though ;-)  Here in UK we are experiencing unprecedented cloud/rain.

                          best wishes

                          Lawrence Harris
                        • Peter
                          Message 12 of 21 , Jul 10 5:01 AM
                            Steve;

                            Don't take this the wrong way but I thoroughly enjoy your rambling posts! Any chance you're an english professor or a writer?

                            Message 13 of 21 , Jul 10 1:21 PM
                              Lawrence, you are an expert and I for one would never deny that. Your book holds a primary and honored place in my library, and I refer to it frequently.

                              I've got PemPro and simply can't get below 12 arc sec, but with the AO it's no longer a problem. However, my own experience with the 'word on the street' is that no known meade mount can be corrected to less than about 9 arc sec (so my 12 is off a bit), and I don't know anybody who has better than 12, that's why I quoted it. (I'm excluding the latest introductions because the word's not out yet - no, I won't be buying one anyway).

                              However, I don't at all doubt your sincerity or expertise. I've love PemPro and it works well for me, but for all my effort I can't get better, but now with the AO, it's ok and doesn't matter much, since the Starlight AO can correct PEC better than 23 arc secs according to Terry Platt, managing director. And I believe him in evidence of proof.

                              It's a sad footnote that few of the accessories that contribute so much to the 'promose' of the RCX, simply don't work, or work well, are not robust and fail frequently. I do realize that many of us are gretting good use out of the RCX. For me, the OTC is the only thing I need to use. The rest of those niceties have been replaced by better quality items  from the rest of the market. A very expensive RC-type scope, I'm afraid, there are better models out there for less money, like the ATC-12, and a reasonable mount can be achieved.

                              By the way, for the newcomers, my RCX was renovated by meade before purchase, then sent to Dr Clay who found so many significant faults it simply wasn't funny. I have his list as evidence.

                              But the whole experience has put me off mirror scopes, I"m going to get a largish refractor next on a good mount and finally re-discover this lovely hobby.

                              Still, as I said before, it's been a 'trip', without a doubt. I'd rather have gone to Philadelphia (WC Fields)!

                              Regards,

                              Steve E

                              To: RCX400@yahoogroups.com

                              Message 14 of 21 , Jul 10 1:27 PM
                                HI Peter,
                                No, I don't take offence, I find this group a great bunch and I write this way to communicate effectively and completely - email has to be done with care. I claim no expertise in that, but I do hope I'm getting some points across. I also don't claim to always be right, so I expect the occasional jab like any grown-up. My work is in IT as a Sr Business Analyst I work for the big guys in the private sector and the federal government here. Yes, I do tend to write presentations, etc.

                                Take care my friend, I know we'll continue to make the best to enjoy our astronomoy interests and I'll tell anyone all I know to help, and from my own experience, unless otherwise noted.

                                Steve E

                                To: RCX400@yahoogroups.com
                                From: peterproulx@...
                                Date: Tue, 10 Jul 2012 12:01:41 +0000

> [...]

                                > Thanks Peter, I'll make a note of it.Yes, I have dealt with them, (my comment you quoted was meant to express that I do not speak only for myself in any particular instance) not on the problem that was discussed, my dealings whilst living in the USA and in NZ have been identical. I've been kept 'holding' on (formerly expensive) overseas phone fcalls for up to an hour with no final resolution, and a list as long as your arm of other discrepancies that you, Peter would also probably not bear. The thing is, I accept a few errors from anyone, or any company. But the list continues to grow logarithmically with many similar points that I don't have direct experience with. Many purchasers are quite embarrassed to discuss this, as I was originally, thinking its some fault of their own.Like the RCX? I like the optics very much too. Other mfgrs produce simlar and better, but RCX is good optics. Open tube design has introduced mold and dust in a way I hadn't anticipated and which I cannot get treated locally. Lack of basic circuit protection, and a mount that cannot be PEC corrected to less than 12 arc sec does point to a poor product - no saving graces here. I have a circuit board that needs fixing and no one wants to touch it. It requires re-ship to perhaps Dr Clay.Another brand. Yes, Peter, I will be purchasing an expensive foreign brand in the next two years from a well-known reputation as a provider of good products and service, even after the warranty runs out.And Peter, I'm not usually a 'complainer', so this is not a moaning topic, I'm trying to support the many others on this forum that feel the samne way in a sympathetic manner. This forum has been good to me, and I've tried to contribute in many other ways too to the best of my ability. And I hope you will be assured that I have high regard for everyone's opinions, as I know you have of mine. I haven't offered any 'meade-bashing' unless in sympathetic support of someone else's heartache.That scope cost me a lot of money, and it will be replaced by a superior scope of higher quality made by a company known for their expertise and willingness in the marketplace of which there are many examples.But until I joined this lovely forum I thought I was the ONLY one suffereing from the meade disease. I know much dirrerently know. It's sad. Still, my good wishes go out to all, and despite the difficulties I admire the way we've adapted. It's all a learning process, and it's one money could not buy in any case.I wish you well, and thanks for your input. I expect there are many similar opinions to both of our comments, I've read them for years now. One does one's best - we're generally on our own with meade.Steve E

                              • ldjhandm
                                Message 15 of 21 , Jul 11 2:33 AM
                                  Hi Steve

                                  Thanks for the compliments :-) but the real experts here are Clay, Weasner and autostarex. The explanation given with Pempro specifically for the RCX400 describe how to measure and correct in one pass. I found that adequate - but I also did the second pass as a challenge, and was delighted. It is the software and hardware that work; all I did was read the instructions ;-)

                                  Please do give Pempro another try - and amaze yourself......

                                  BTW yes I love the SX AO unit.

                                  Lawrence

> [...]
                                  > locally. Lack of basic circuit protection, and a mount that cannot
                                  > be PEC corrected to less than 12 arc sec does point to a poor
                                  > product - no saving graces here. I have a circuit board that needs
                                  > fixing and no one wants to touch it. It requires re-ship to
                                  > perhaps Dr Clay.Another brand. Yes, Peter, I will be purchasing an
                                  > expensive foreign brand in the next two years from a well-known
                                  > reputation as a provider of good products and service, even after
                                  > the
                                  >

                                  > 12 arc.sec?
                                  >

                                  > I have repeatedly done PEC on my 12" RCX400 and regularly and
                                  > routinely achieved *far* better than this. More like 2 - 3 arc.sec
                                  > if I remember correctly. I'm about to repeat the PEC on a new part
                                  > of the worm and will report back in due course (don't hold your
                                  > breath, though ;-) Here in UK we are experiencing unprecedented

                                • Steven Elliott
                                  Message 16 of 21 , Jul 11 2:02 PM
                                    HI Lawrence,

                                    See, although your modesty becomes you, you are surely within 'great' company in this ilk. Those others are the leaders in the field, but many like yourself 'pick up' on their expertise and share it too in a way that also 'speaks' to us. I credit the lot of you with really the 'saving grace' of this manufacturing disaster, and I congratulate you.

                                    By more than one pass you mean 'refine' the curve? Yes, I've done that, your instructiosn and the great ones that come in the example shown on PemPro are fabulous. When I did that I got little iterative improvements of merely a few arc seconds, and I felt it was safe to believe that we're reaching the top of a potential flattening curve. I stopped at around 12 arc secs, improvements of 1 or two more were not worth the time since the AO can easily correct what's left-over.

                                    But yes, PECing needs to be reviewed every few months and I'll keep at it. I love PemPro, its various features are absolutely so useful and easy to use that I truly have to wonder sometimes what all the screaming is about. Ray Gralik deserves inclusion in the top group you mentioned. You might like to know (I think I'm safe in revealing what I was told) that Dr Clay was involved in beta testing PemPro, so all of this is 'no wonder' to me. I'm pretty sure that's accurate, if no, my apologies.

                                    Take care, keep up the good work, and THANK YOU for your good work. There's lots of stars in this hobby - not just in the sky!

                                    Steve

                                    To: RCX400@yahoogroups.com
                                    From: lawrence@...
                                    Date: Wed, 11 Jul 2012 09:33:56 +0000

> [...]

                                    > locally. Lack of basic circuit protection, and a mount that cannot
                                    > be PEC corrected to less than 12 arc sec does point to a poor
                                    > product - no saving graces here. I have a circuit board that needs
                                    > fixing and no one wants to touch it. It requires re-ship to
                                    > perhaps Dr Clay.Another brand. Yes, Peter, I will be purchasing an
                                    > expensive foreign brand in the next two years from a well-known
                                    > reputation as a provider of good products and service, even after
                                    > the
                                    >

                                    > 12 arc.sec?
                                    >

                                    > I have repeatedly done PEC on my 12" RCX400 and regularly and
                                    > routinely achieved *far* better than this. More like 2 - 3 arc.sec
                                    > if I remember correctly. I'm about to repeat the PEC on a new part
                                    > of the worm and will report back in due course (don't hold your
                                    > breath, though ;-) Here in UK we are experiencing unprecedented

                                  • P. Clay Sherrod
                                    Message 17 of 21 , Jul 11 2:20 PM
                                      This forum is full of great folks and great minds.....
                                      Nonetheless, I must confess that although I have tested PemPro thoroughly for interested third party reviews and endorsements, I was not part of the actual beta testing group of that software.  I test a lot of telescopes, cameras and equipment, but most folks know to stay away from me when it comes to computers.

                                      My entire computer experience is:
                                      1) turn it on
                                      2) use it.

                                      Dr. Clay
                                      _____
                                      Arkansas Sky Observatories
                                      MPC H45 - Petit Jean Mountain South
                                      MPC H41 - Petit Jean Mountain
                                      MPC H43 - Conway West
                                      http://www.arksky.org/

                                      From: lawrence@...
                                      Date: Wed, 11 Jul 2012 09:33:56 +0000

> [...]

                                      > locally. Lack of basic circuit protection, and a mount that cannot
                                      > be PEC corrected to less than 12 arc sec does point to a poor
                                      > product - no saving graces here. I have a circuit board that needs
                                      > fixing and no one wants to touch it. It requires re-ship to
                                      > perhaps Dr Clay.Another brand. Yes, Peter, I will be purchasing an
                                      > expensive foreign brand in the next two years from a well-known
                                      > reputation as a provider of good products and service, even after
                                      > the
                                      >

                                      > 12 arc.sec?
                                      >

                                      > I have repeatedly done PEC on my 12" RCX400 and regularly and
                                      > routinely achieved *far* better than this. More like 2 - 3 arc.sec
                                      > if I remember correctly. I'm about to repeat the PEC on a new part
                                      > of the worm and will report back in due course (don't hold your
                                      > breath, though ;-) Here in UK we are experiencing unprecedented

                                    • Steven Elliott
                                      Message 18 of 21 , Jul 11 2:26 PM
                                        My humble apologies Dr Clay (and everyone else) my information was obviously incorrect. I do remember we compared notes a while ago and I noted that my own computer expertise is no more than yours, so I do apologize. Nothing, however, detracts from the combined level of expertise in this group. In that way it was worth having an RCX to kick around.

                                        Nevertheless, thank you again for everything else!

                                        Steve E

                                        To: RCX400@yahoogroups.com

                                        From: lawrence@...
                                        Date: Wed, 11 Jul 2012 09:33:56 +0000

> [...]

                                        > locally. Lack of basic circuit protection, and a mount that cannot
                                        > be PEC corrected to less than 12 arc sec does point to a poor
                                        > product - no saving graces here. I have a circuit board that needs
                                        > fixing and no one wants to touch it. It requires re-ship to
                                        > perhaps Dr Clay.Another brand. Yes, Peter, I will be purchasing an
                                        > expensive foreign brand in the next two years from a well-known
                                        > reputation as a provider of good products and service, even after
                                        > the
                                        >

                                        > 12 arc.sec?
                                        >

                                        > I have repeatedly done PEC on my 12" RCX400 and regularly and
                                        > routinely achieved *far* better than this. More like 2 - 3 arc.sec
                                        > if I remember correctly. I'm about to repeat the PEC on a new part
                                        > of the worm and will report back in due course (don't hold your
                                        > breath, though ;-) Here in UK we are experiencing unprecedented

                                      • P. Clay Sherrod
                                        Message 19 of 21 , Jul 11 2:37 PM
                                          We operate 13 computers and several additional computer-related devices from three observatories, so I do indeed have a bit of practical knowledge of computers.  But not anywhere - nowhere close - to the expertise offered by Dick Seymour, Andrew Johansen and many others.  I DO remember what works and what does not, however, and that makes for a bit of fun from time to time.

                                          ....and I can reboot without losing USB connections which is something valuable to know in the dark.

                                          Dr. Clay
                                          _____

                                          To: RCX400@yahoogroups.com

                                          From: lawrence@...
                                          Date: Wed, 11 Jul 2012 09:33:56 +0000

> [...]

                                          > locally. Lack of basic circuit protection, and a mount that cannot
                                          > be PEC corrected to less than 12 arc sec does point to a poor
                                          > product - no saving graces here. I have a circuit board that needs
                                          > fixing and no one wants to touch it. It requires re-ship to
                                          > perhaps Dr Clay.Another brand. Yes, Peter, I will be purchasing an
                                          > expensive foreign brand in the next two years from a well-known
                                          > reputation as a provider of good products and service, even after
                                          > the
                                          >

                                          > 12 arc.sec?
                                          >

                                          > I have repeatedly done PEC on my 12" RCX400 and regularly and
                                          > routinely achieved *far* better than this. More like 2 - 3 arc.sec
                                          > if I remember correctly. I'm about to repeat the PEC on a new part
                                          > of the worm and will report back in due course (don't hold your
                                          > breath, though ;-) Here in UK we are experiencing unprecedented

                                        • ldjhandm
                                          Message 20 of 21 , Jul 12 2:59 AM
                                            Steve - the thought occurs to me: do a three-cycle Pec monitor with the raw PEC loaded (the zero curve with no PEC corrections). See how reproducible each of the cycles are - ie., how well they overlap each other. That should be revealing. You can always reload the corrected PEC (after syncing of course as per Ray's instructions). As long as the scope is nicely balanced then the results should indicate how good a subsequent correction could be. If there was poor overlap then a problem is indicated.

                                            Lawrence

                                          • autostaretx
                                            Message 21 of 21 , Jul 13 7:25 AM
                                              One of the differences between the RCX400 and the LX200gps scopes is that the RCX400 *did* have a factory-tested PEC curve pre-loaded by Meade.
                                              Of course, once they shifted to the three-turn model, the factory data became an approximation instead of highly accurate.
                                              If you received your scope from Meade with firmware versions earlier than v2.0, you're affected by that shortcoming.

                                              Andrew's MyScope utility will reveal both your self-Trained and the original factory-trained curves.
                                              Free from: http://members.optusnet.com.au/johansea

                                              Meade's own PEC Editor does not show the factory curve.
                                              (Meade's PEC Editor trashes current LX200gps PEC data, but properly handles the RCX400 data).

                                              When i write "RCX400", i also mean the "LX400-ACF"

                                              have fun
                                              --dick