Re: 10" RCX for sale

  • Peter
    Message 1 of 11 , Jul 1, 2011
      Joey;

      Unfortunately this could have been a great scope with some further development. I really love my 10" the optics have always been impressive. As an imaging scope it has been far from perfect in other aspects. I found for imaging I needed 2 things a more accurate focuser and an AO unit for tracking. With the addition of these 2 items it has become an excellent platform for imaging. The additional expense still brings it well under the cost of what I might have spent for a mount and OTA with these Optics and tracking capabilities. As long as Meade continues to support it on the repair side I will have this scope for a long time.

      Unfortunately resale value suffers with this scope. Good luck I hope it finds a happy home.

      Peter

      --- In RCX400@yahoogroups.com, "jkalus20012001" <joeyk@...> wrote:

      > I listed my 10" RCX for sale last week on Astromart. I am getting out of this hobby due to age and time constraints. I listed the scope at $3500 which I felt was a fair starting point. The scope has worked flawlessly since I purchased it used from the original owner three years ago. My question/concern is that I have had no response to this ad. Are people leary of the scope due to its troubled history or is Astromart no longer the best site to sell a used scope? Any input would be very helpful. Thanks.
      >
      > Joey
      > Minnesota

    • gjwcac
      Message 2 of 11 , Jul 3, 2011
        What is the ad number? AMart doesn't show any RCXs for sale or auction.

        Jim M.

        --- In RCX400@yahoogroups.com, "jkalus20012001" <joeyk@...> wrote:

        > I listed my 10" RCX for sale last week on Astromart. I am getting out of this hobby due to age and time constraints. I listed the scope at $3500 which I felt was a fair starting point. The scope has worked flawlessly since I purchased it used from the original owner three years ago. My question/concern is that I have had no response to this ad. Are people leary of the scope due to its troubled history or is Astromart no longer the best site to sell a used scope? Any input would be very helpful. Thanks.
        >
        > Joey
        > Minnesota

      • comet
        Message 3 of 11 , Jul 4, 2011
          What is an AO unit and where can I get one for my 12" RCX?
          Pat
          --- In RCX400@yahoogroups.com, "Peter" <peterproulx@...> wrote:

          > Joey;
          >
          > Unfortunately this could have been a great scope with some further development. I really love my 10" the optics have always been impressive. As an imaging scope it has been far from perfect in other aspects. I found for imaging I needed 2 things a more accurate focuser and an AO unit for tracking. With the addition of these 2 items it has become an excellent platform for imaging. The additional expense still brings it well under the cost of what I might have spent for a mount and OTA with these Optics and tracking capabilities. As long as Meade continues to support it on the repair side I will have this scope for a long time.
          >
          > Unfortunately resale value suffers with this scope. Good luck I hope it finds a happy home.
          >
          > Peter
          >
          > --- In RCX400@yahoogroups.com, "jkalus20012001" <joeyk@> wrote:
          > >
          > > I listed my 10" RCX for sale last week on Astromart. I am getting out of this hobby due to age and time constraints. I listed the scope at $3500 which I felt was a fair starting point. The scope has worked flawlessly since I purchased it used from the original owner three years ago. My question/concern is that I have had no response to this ad. Are people leary of the scope due to its troubled history or is Astromart no longer the best site to sell a used scope? Any input would be very helpful. Thanks.
          > >
          > > Joey
          > > Minnesota

        • Peter
          Message 4 of 11 , Jul 4, 2011
            Joey;

            The AO unit stands for active optics, I have a Starlight Xpress unit. More info here:

            http://www.starlight-xpress.co.uk/SXV-AO.htm

            This is my setup notated with the other items in the image train:

            http://www.gotastronomy.com/RCXAO.htm

            Here is a recent work in progress with the above setup:

            http://www.gotastronomy.com/ngc6946_rcx.htm

            Work very nice.

            Peter

            --- In RCX400@yahoogroups.com, "comet" <discoverer98@...> wrote:

            > What is an AO unit and where can I get one for my 12" RCX?
            > Pat
            > --- In RCX400@yahoogroups.com, "Peter" <peterproulx@> wrote:
            > >
            > > Joey;
            > >
            > > Unfortunately this could have been a great scope with some further development. I really love my 10" the optics have always been impressive. As an imaging scope it has been far from perfect in other aspects. I found for imaging I needed 2 things a more accurate focuser and an AO unit for tracking. With the addition of these 2 items it has become an excellent platform for imaging. The additional expense still brings it well under the cost of what I might have spent for a mount and OTA with these Optics and tracking capabilities. As long as Meade continues to support it on the repair side I will have this scope for a long time.
            > >
            > > Unfortunately resale value suffers with this scope. Good luck I hope it finds a happy home.
            > >
            > > Peter
            > >
            > > --- In RCX400@yahoogroups.com, "jkalus20012001" <joeyk@> wrote:
            > > >
            > > > I listed my 10" RCX for sale last week on Astromart. I am getting out of this hobby due to age and time constraints. I listed the scope at $3500 which I felt was a fair starting point. The scope has worked flawlessly since I purchased it used from the original owner three years ago. My question/concern is that I have had no response to this ad. Are people leary of the scope due to its troubled history or is Astromart no longer the best site to sell a used scope? Any input would be very helpful. Thanks.
            > > >
            > > > Joey
            > > > Minnesota

          • autostaretx
            Message 5 of 11 , Jul 4, 2011
              What: "AO" is adaptive optics... basically a moving (tilting in two axes) mirror.

              Where:
              http://www.sbig.com/sbwhtmls/ao8.htm
              http://www.telescope.com/Orion-SteadyStar-Adaptive-Optics-Guider/p/53076.uts?keyword=autoguider

              to name two... try Googling "adaptive optics guider"

              have fun
              --dick

              --- In RCX400@yahoogroups.com, "comet" <discoverer98@...> wrote:

              > What is an AO unit and where can I get one for my 12" RCX?
              > Pat
              > --- In RCX400@yahoogroups.com, "Peter" <peterproulx@> wrote:
              > >
              > > Joey;
              > >
              > > Unfortunately this could have been a great scope with some further development. I really love my 10" the optics have always been impressive. As an imaging scope it has been far from perfect in other aspects. I found for imaging I needed 2 things a more accurate focuser and an AO unit for tracking. With the addition of these 2 items it has become an excellent platform for imaging. The additional expense still brings it well under the cost of what I might have spent for a mount and OTA with these Optics and tracking capabilities. As long as Meade continues to support it on the repair side I will have this scope for a long time.
              > >
              > > Unfortunately resale value suffers with this scope. Good luck I hope it finds a happy home.
              > >
              > > Peter
              > >
              > > --- In RCX400@yahoogroups.com, "jkalus20012001" <joeyk@> wrote:
              > > >
              > > > I listed my 10" RCX for sale last week on Astromart. I am getting out of this hobby due to age and time constraints. I listed the scope at $3500 which I felt was a fair starting point. The scope has worked flawlessly since I purchased it used from the original owner three years ago. My question/concern is that I have had no response to this ad. Are people leary of the scope due to its troubled history or is Astromart no longer the best site to sell a used scope? Any input would be very helpful. Thanks.
              > > >
              > > > Joey
              > > > Minnesota

            • Lawrence
              Message 6 of 11 , Jul 5, 2011
                > a. Re: 10" RCX for sale
                > Posted by: "autostaretx"rseymour@... autostaretx
                > Date: Mon Jul 4, 2011 10:17 pm ((PDT))
                >
                > What: "AO" is adaptive optics... basically a moving (tilting in two axes) mirror.
                >
                > Where:
                > http://www.sbig.com/sbwhtmls/ao8.htm
                > http://www.telescope.com/Orion-SteadyStar-Adaptive-Optics-Guider/p/53076.uts?keyword=autoguider
                >
                > to name two... try Googling "adaptive optics guider"

                Interestingly, these devices really seem to be 'active optics' devices.
                The optics actively move to compensate for the active atmosphere.
                Adaptive optics is - I believe - when the optics adapt to the
                atmospheric changes by changing their profile (using multiple mirrors).

                Lawrence Harris
              • Joey Kaluser
                Message 7 of 11 , Jul 5, 2011
                  Ad # 737116 under catadioptric telescopes.

                  Joey

                  What is the ad number? AMart doesn't show any RCXs for sale or auction.

                  Jim M.

                  --- In RCX400@yahoogroups.com, "jkalus20012001" <joeyk@...> wrote:

                  > I listed my 10" RCX for sale last week on Astromart. I am getting out of this hobby due to age and time constraints. I listed the scope at $3500 which I felt was a fair starting point. The scope has worked flawlessly since I purchased it used from the original owner three years ago. My question/concern is that I have had no response to this ad. Are people leary of the scope due to its troubled history or is Astromart no longer the best site to sell a used scope? Any input would be very helpful. Thanks.
                  >
                  > Joey
                  > Minnesota

                • Gregg Swanson
                  Message 8 of 11 , Jul 5, 2011

                    I would give it time... it is complex scope and it will take a bit of time to find it a proper home.

                    Thanks,

                    Gregg