RCX Reticle Eyepiece port

  • Peter
    Message 1 of 5 , May 23, 2011
      Anyone using this port to power a Telrad finder? See any problem in doing such?

      Thanks;

      Peter
    • Steve C. Mitchell, Sr.
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 1, 2011
        Hey Peter,

        GOOD QUESTION! Made me think of the problems I have with the battery draining dead in my telrad, would love to have available mains power that is "automatically" switched on and off with the scope! That thought hadn't ever occurred to me. I'm not sure, but is seems to me the Reticle power port on the scope should be a 12V out plug that comes on and goes off with the scope. The 9v telrad would operate just fine on 12v, it makes sense to me.

        Any other thoughts?

        Good one Peter!

        Steve

        Stephen C. Mitchell, Sr, OD
        Scopehill Observatory
        12", RCX400

        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 2, 2011
          Steve;

          My Telrad runs off 2 aa batteries for at 3vdc. What I did was use a LM317 Voltage regulator with a couple of resistors to bring the voltage down. Cost me a whole $5 at Radio Shack. Thanks for the reply.

          Peter

          --- In RCX400@yahoogroups.com, "Steve C. Mitchell, Sr." <smitchell@...> wrote:

          > Hey Peter,
          >
          > GOOD QUESTION! Made me think of the problems I have with the battery draining dead in my telrad, would love to have available mains power that is "automatically" switched on and off with the scope! That thought hadn't ever occurred to me. I'm not sure, but is seems to me the Reticle power port on the scope should be a 12V out plug that comes on and goes off with the scope. The 9v telrad would operate just fine on 12v, it makes sense to me.
          >
          > Any other thoughts?
          >
          > Good one Peter!
          >
          > Steve
          >
          > Stephen C. Mitchell, Sr, OD
          > Scopehill Observatory
          > www.Scopehill.com<http://www.scopehill.com/>
          > 12", RCX400
          >

          > ________________________________

        • Jim
          Message 4 of 5 , Jun 6, 2011
            The latest update that I have for My RCX400 is 2.2i. Ascom is expecting 4.2g. What are the latest updates for LX400ACF? Wouldn't that be compatible with RCX400?

            Jim
          • Steve C. Mitchell, Sr.
            Message 5 of 5 , Jun 6, 2011

              Hey Jim,

              Version 2.2i IS the latest update for the RCX400, version 4.2g is the latest version for the LX200/ACF/R. Since when using ASCOM drivers one usually uses the LX200/ACF/R drivers (since they work the best with the RCX) it always complains about the “update to the latest version 4.3g”. Just ignore it and go on, it works fine as is other than you don’t have full control of the dew heater, collimation, etc. but all the essentials for autoguiding, goto’ing, etc. ARE supported by the latest ASCOM driver with the RCX400 version 2.2i.

              OTOH: Dick’s patches include an updated version to 2.2I, and when using it ASCOM still complains, but still works just fine.

              Steve

              Stephen C. Mitchell, Sr., O.D.

              Scopehill Observatory

              www.Scopehill.com