Re: Re RCX400 USB Hub Problem Update !!!

  • studiocat13
    Message 1 of 12 , Apr 27, 2010
      Lawrence,
      What I am saying is that you simply connect a New powered USB hub to your computer and then connect the USB cable from your scope base to the powered hub. It seems that the RCX400 hub is a passive device and needs to draw current from the host computer and depending on the computer being used it may or may not be able to handle this extra draw thus causing random problems. The powered hub should solve this by supplying the proper voltage and or current needed as well as allow you to connect cameras to the built in hub and control the scope via USB to serial as intended.
      I hope this helps, Brad D.

      --- In RCX400@yahoogroups.com, Lawrence Harris <lawrence@...> wrote:

      > >. RCX400 USB Hub Problem Update !!! Posted by: "studiocat13" studiocat13@... studiocat13 Sat Apr 24, 2010 5:33 pm (PDT)
      > >

      > >Hey Guys, I see that a lot of you have had problems with the USB Hub on the RCX400 and just wanted to update you to a possible solution for the problem. First off I have owned my 10" RCX400 for almost 3 years now and love it !!! I use it primarily for imaging but observe with it as well and can't say enough about it. Up until recently I was using the scope to image from different sites and would set up and tear down in between imaging sessions. I used an older Dell
      > >D600 laptop running Windows XP Pro and an SBIG ST-2000 camera along with CCDSoft, Starry Night Pro and Autostar Suite to control my scope and camera via the built in USB Hub and Prolific USB to Serial adapter with little or no problems.
      > >

      > >A few weeks ago I finished building my new observatory at my Clubs remote dark site and decided to set up an older P4 Dell desktop running Windows XP Pro to control the observatory, scope and cameras. I started loading the various software and drivers expecting similar results as with my Dell laptop only to find that the new computer didn't recognize the scopes USB to Serial adapter nor any devices connected to the scopes USB hub. I tried everything I could think of
      > >to resolve the problem and could never make it work even though the setup was nearly identical to my previous setup with the laptop. After consulting a very good friend who is a computer guru, and who actually set up the desktop for me, we came to the conclusion that maybe that power supply for the computer didn't have enough juice to run a lot of external devices and I would probably need to
      > >upgrade the power supply.
      > >

      > >I had had similar USB problems with my home desktop and was able to solve it with a cheap powered USB hub so I decided to give that a try first and was pleasantly surprised when I plugged it in and then connected the USB from the scope, everything was recognized and all all drivers loaded the first time with no issues and now my scope works just as before.
      > >I hope this helps and please let me know if you have any other questions.
      > >

      > >Clear Skies, Brad Draper
      >
      > Hello Brad
      >
      > The main advantage to the RCX400's SB hub that I have found is, as expected, the
      > ability to have just one cable going to the mount that can control the camera
      > and the telescope. In cold weather (hardly unknown for telescope users!) the USB
      > starts failing. The use of a powered USB hub is surely just an alternative
      > facility that we use when the main USB hub fails? A powered hub requires
      > separate USB cables (camera and mount) so it does not seem to me to be a
      > 'solution' to the problem, simply a lesser alternative. Or have I missed
      > something here?
      >
      > Lawrence H

    • studiocat13
      Message 2 of 12 , Apr 27, 2010
        Hey Rob,
        I think that you are right on target !!
        Brad D.

        --- In RCX400@yahoogroups.com, Rob <rcf362b@...> wrote:

> [...]
        > > first time with no issues and now my scope works just as before.
        > > >I hope this helps and please let me know if you have any other questions.
        > > >

        > > >Clear Skies, Brad Draper
        > >
        > > Hello Brad
        > >
        > > The main advantage to the RCX400's SB hub that I have found is, as
        > > expected, the
        > > ability to have just one cable going to the mount that can control the
        > > camera
        > > and the telescope. In cold weather (hardly unknown for telescope users!)
        > > the USB
        > > starts failing. The use of a powered USB hub is surely just an alternative
        > > facility that we use when the main USB hub fails? A powered hub requires
        > > separate USB cables (camera and mount) so it does not seem to me to be a
        > > 'solution' to the problem, simply a lesser alternative. Or have I missed

      • studiocat13
        Message 3 of 12 , Apr 27, 2010
          Thanks Dick,
          I will give this a try and let you know what I find out !!
          Brad D.

          --- In RCX400@yahoogroups.com, "autostaretx" <rseymour@...> wrote:

> [...]
          > > > was pleasantly surprised when I plugged it in and then connected the USB
          > > > from the scope, everything was recognized and all all drivers loaded the
          > > > first time with no issues and now my scope works just as before.

          > > > Hello Brad
          > > >
          > > > The main advantage to the RCX400's SB hub that I have found is, as
          > > > expected, the
          > > > ability to have just one cable going to the mount that can control the
          > > > camera
          > > > and the telescope. In cold weather (hardly unknown for telescope users!)
          > > > the USB
          > > > starts failing. The use of a powered USB hub is surely just an alternative
          > > > facility that we use when the main USB hub fails? A powered hub requires
          > > > separate USB cables (camera and mount) so it does not seem to me to be a
          > > > 'solution' to the problem, simply a lesser alternative. Or have I missed

        • Rob
          Message 4 of 12 , Apr 28, 2010
            Very good idea Dick, so I did just that and here are the results:

            It looks as if the RCX400 does in fact have an active (repeater) and powered USB hub.  Windows lists it as a self-powered generic USB hub with 500mA avail at each port.  Much to my surprise, the scope's USB hub must be receiving power from the scope's 12V power supply.  Just to confirm what Windows was reporting, I pushed it well past the 500mA level and it had no problems handling the collective load.  I also used a 16ft passive USB cable from the computer to the scope to make the test more challenging.  For comparison, here are some devices I tested and their required loads:

            Meade DSI Pro - 100mA
            Built in Prolific USB to Serial converter (comm port) - 100mA
            External Meade (Prolific) USB to Serial cable (just for comparison purposes) - 100mA
            SanDisk Cruzer Micro 4GB - 200mA
            MicroSD USB card adapter (with card) - 500mA (not sure why this is so much more than the Cruzer Micro)
            2.5in external USB powered hard drive - 500+mA (peak at start-up, I had to use 2 USB ports to get it going), 2mA (running after start-up on 1 port, this seems a bit too low to be realistic)
            iPhone - 500mA (yes it even charges and syncs with iTunes through the scope, which should be no surprise since we now know the scope's USB hub is powered)

            The most I had connected through the scope's USB hub was 1.3A at one time and all seemed to be handled well.

            I will admit that I am a bit surprised, but also pleased, at the results.  It looks like Meade engineers thought about this and added in the powered hub capability.  This does not however answer the point that Lawrence brought up about USB hub's failing during cold weather.  I have only had my RCX a short time so I have not had a USB hub failure (and hope I don't).  I wonder if that might be a defect in the electronics that only manifests itself when the temp drops.  It sounds as if Brad may have had a signal attenuation problem from his computer's USB port (maybe from low signal voltage?) which the powered USB hub was able to overcome by being placed in the middle.  But that's all pure speculation on my part.

            Hope this test info is useful to some of you.

            Rob

          • rllaffoon
            Message 5 of 12 , Apr 30, 2010
              Hi Dick - I checked my RCX12" and my VISTA laptop reported that the RCX is a self powered hub, with 500 mA per port.
              Thanks for posting the hub directions,
              Larry
              --- In RCX400@yahoogroups.com, "autostaretx" <rseymour@...> wrote:

              > You can ask your PC.
              >
              > Open your
              > Windows' > Control Panel > System > Hardware > DeviceManager
              > window.
              > (probably) down near the bottom of the list is
              > "Universal Serial Bus Controllers".
              > Click the [+] to expand that list.
              > At its bottom are (probably) many "USB Root Hub" entries.
              > Double-click on each one, which opens that port's properties.
              > Click the "Power" tab.
              > That will show the power being used by devices on that port.
              > Plug in the RCX400 cable.
              > Run through the "power" tabs again to locate the hub that has the RCX.
              > Note its power demands.
              > Plug something (anything, even a memory stick) into one (or more) of the RCX's "USB Out" sockets.
              > Look (again, or refresh) at the power demands upon the USB Hub again.
              > If the just-added device shows as a load (on increased load) on the PC, then it's not a powered hub.
              > If it does -not- increase the power demand upon the PC, it IS a powered hub.
              >
              > Please report (since i don't have an RCX400 to test upon)
              >
              > have fun
              > --dick

            • Lawrence Harris
              Message 6 of 12 , May 4, 2010
                >1a. Re: Re RCX400 USB Hub Problem Update !!!
                > Posted by: "studiocat13" studiocat13@... studiocat13
                > Date: Mon May 3, 2010 9:53 am ((PDT))
                >
                >Lawrence,
                >What I am saying is that you simply connect a New powered USB hub to your computer and then connect the USB cable from your scope base to the powered hub. It seems that the RCX400 hub is a passive device and needs to draw current from the host computer and depending on the computer being used it may or may not be able to handle this extra draw thus causing random problems. The powered hub should solve this by supplying the proper voltage and or current needed as well as allow you to connect cameras to the built in hub and control the scope via USB to serial as intended.
                >I hope this helps, Brad D.

                Maybe so :-) The big test comes next winter when we see whether the RCX hub
                still fails when the temperature drops below ~5 deg C. Meanwhile I'll try to
                find a suitable powered hub for my setup.

                Lawrence
              • studiocat13
                Message 7 of 12 , May 4, 2010
                  Sounds Good Lawrence, Let me know how it goes!!
                  Brad D.

                  --- In RCX400@yahoogroups.com, Lawrence Harris <lawrence@...> wrote:

                  > >1a. Re: Re RCX400 USB Hub Problem Update !!!
                  > > Posted by: "studiocat13" studiocat13@... studiocat13
                  > > Date: Mon May 3, 2010 9:53 am ((PDT))
                  > >
                  > >Lawrence,
                  > >What I am saying is that you simply connect a New powered USB hub to your computer and then connect the USB cable from your scope base to the powered hub. It seems that the RCX400 hub is a passive device and needs to draw current from the host computer and depending on the computer being used it may or may not be able to handle this extra draw thus causing random problems. The powered hub should solve this by supplying the proper voltage and or current needed as well as allow you to connect cameras to the built in hub and control the scope via USB to serial as intended.
                  > >I hope this helps, Brad D.
                  >
                  > Maybe so :-) The big test comes next winter when we see whether the RCX hub
                  > still fails when the temperature drops below ~5 deg C. Meanwhile I'll try to
                  > find a suitable powered hub for my setup.
                  >
                  > Lawrence

                • wforacer.rm
                  Message 8 of 12 , May 5, 2010
                    you could always add a heater to the hub buy a couple of resistors (internal), maybe 5 watt total.

                    Oz

                    --- In RCX400@yahoogroups.com, Lawrence Harris <lawrence@...> wrote:

                    > >1a. Re: Re RCX400 USB Hub Problem Update !!!
                    > > Posted by: "studiocat13" studiocat13@... studiocat13
                    > > Date: Mon May 3, 2010 9:53 am ((PDT))
                    > >
                    > >Lawrence,
                    > >What I am saying is that you simply connect a New powered USB hub to your computer and then connect the USB cable from your scope base to the powered hub. It seems that the RCX400 hub is a passive device and needs to draw current from the host computer and depending on the computer being used it may or may not be able to handle this extra draw thus causing random problems. The powered hub should solve this by supplying the proper voltage and or current needed as well as allow you to connect cameras to the built in hub and control the scope via USB to serial as intended.
                    > >I hope this helps, Brad D.
                    >
                    > Maybe so :-) The big test comes next winter when we see whether the RCX hub
                    > still fails when the temperature drops below ~5 deg C. Meanwhile I'll try to
                    > find a suitable powered hub for my setup.
                    >
                    > Lawrence

                  • Enrique Bustamante
                    Message 9 of 12 , May 8, 2010

                      I have a powered USB hub and I have no problems with the scope. I run 2 and some times 3 cameras simultaneously plus 2 pieces of software all at the same time. One program uses the base USB hub of the telescope and the other one uses the serial port (Computer to à Powered USB HUB à USB to Serial Converter (Prolific) à Serial Port of the Scope).  The key element for me is to have a USB Powered HUB with 2 amps capacity.  Everything works as intended.

                      Regards,

                      Enrique