RCX stuck

  • ransumdoc
    Message 1 of 26 , Feb 8 4:01 PM
      This afternoon, was testing the RCX (12"), and out of nowhere lost connection. (Running TheSky through the serial port connecting with the Segahl driver). Could not get it to re-connect. Went over to the telescope and the hand controller had "downloading, do not turn off" on the screen. I waited and waited and nothing happened. I had not initiated any kind of download. I finally had to turn off the scope. When I re-cycled the power back on, the start up gets to Welcome to Autostar....and that is it....nothing after that. No sound of any motors doing anything and no controls work on the hand controller. I swapped out the hand controller with the remote hand controller, got the same results. I tried the handbox input on the OTA...same results. I cannot make any connection through the serial port or the USB/serial port.
      I looked through the archives here and saw a post on "safe startup" by tapping 999 after turning on the power. I tried re-cycling the pwoer and doing this, and this brings up on the screen "downloading, do not turn off" screen again. Now I am out of ideas......can anyone give me some advice?
      Thanks,
      Randy
    • autostaretx
      Message 2 of 26 , Feb 9 9:03 AM
        OK.... what you need to do is reload the telescope's firmware
        (the RCX uses v2.2i as the newest version).

        what -happened- is that your PC somehow sent a special code
        to the scope that kicked it into "download" mode, and then
        your PC sent something else that caused the scope to erase
        and overwrite part of its programmed memory.

        Download and install (or you probably already have) Meade's "ASU" (Autostar Updater),
        hook up the serial (or USB) line, and start that program...
        turn on the telescope and press the 999 sequence.
        On the PC screen, click the big [update autostar] "button",
        and then tell the next screen that you have an RCX400 (or LX400ACF).
        Then click the "get newest from WWW" follow the prompts.
        First it will fetch the 3 megabyte 2.2i firmware from Meade's site,
        then it will transfer it to the telescope.
        That may all take an hour.
        Don't turn off the scope, set your PC to -not- power-down or invoke a screen saver.

        good luck
        --dick

        --- In RCX400@yahoogroups.com, "ransumdoc" <ransum@...> wrote:

        > This afternoon, was testing the RCX (12"), and out of nowhere lost connection. (Running TheSky through the serial port connecting with the Segahl driver). Could not get it to re-connect. Went over to the telescope and the hand controller had "downloading, do not turn off" on the screen. I waited and waited and nothing happened. I had not initiated any kind of download. I finally had to turn off the scope. When I re-cycled the power back on, the start up gets to Welcome to Autostar....and that is it....nothing after that. No sound of any motors doing anything and no controls work on the hand controller. I swapped out the hand controller with the remote hand controller, got the same results. I tried the handbox input on the OTA...same results. I cannot make any connection through the serial port or the USB/serial port.
        > I looked through the archives here and saw a post on "safe startup" by tapping 999 after turning on the power. I tried re-cycling the pwoer and doing this, and this brings up on the screen "downloading, do not turn off" screen again. Now I am out of ideas......can anyone give me some advice?
        > Thanks,
        > Randy

      • Nicolaj Haarup
        Message 3 of 26 , Feb 9 10:15 AM

          In a few days I will receive a Paramount ME and I want to use it for my RCX400 12” OTA.

          The Paramount has a “versaplate” that can hold a 3” dovetail.

          Now to my many questions…

          1 Does anyone have mechanical drawing of the OTA?

          2 What is the correct disassembly procedure when removing the OTA from the fork?

          3 Can anyone suggest a way to fasten the OTA on a dovetail/versaplate? My own idea is to use the principle of the Meade Max 20” that has a U-shaped holder for the OTA that is screwed into the 4 screws on each of the flat sides on the main mirror level. This device would I design so it also fastens to the back and front of the OTA (2x2 screws).

          4 Has anyone done this before? Any drawbacks?

          Regards

          Nicolaj

        • P. Clay Sherrod
          Message 4 of 26 , Feb 9 12:16 PM
            My goodness...have you done any background research on this prior to ordering the GEM?
            There is a considerable array of electronics and wires that are inter-connected between the OTA and the base/fork arms of the telescope.  The RCX is NOT a telescope that one simply "takes off" the fork mount, adds a dovetail and puts onto a German mount.

            I am hoping that you are aware of the major - major - headaches and disassembly are and REWIRING that is going to be necessary to do what you are attempting; you are going to have to physically remove circuit boards (about five of them in four different locations) and find someplace dry and safe for them to reside once removed and rewired as part of the OTA.

            The OTA cannot work (focusing, collimation, dew control, etc.) without completely rewiring and reconfiguring the entire electronics package that is in the base and fork arms.

            Dr. Clay
            _____
            Arkansas Sky Observatories
            MPC H45 - Petit Jean Mountain South
            MPC H41 - Petit Jean Mountain
            MPC H43 - Conway West
            http://www.arksky.org/

            Message 5 of 26 , Feb 10 8:40 AM
              Well, there was no way back as I could not live with the RCX mount. I had to do something but you are right - i had'nt quite done all the resarch. This is also why I asked you guys here.

              You are of course right - the main computer is in the base and is needed to make the features in OTA work. It could be done but maybe i would be better off putting another OTA on my new mount.

              Electronics is my work so I think I can handle it but the result would be an external chassis looking not-nice on the tube and leaving the spare mount useless.

              Thanks for your comments.

              Nicolaj

              Message 6 of 26 , Feb 10 9:34 AM
                Good luck on this....with an electronics background you might just be able to make this work!

                Dr. Clay
                _____

                Message 7 of 26 , Feb 10 11:03 AM
                  I think you could go about this in two major ways:

                  (a) build a box to hold the electronics (perhaps helping be a counterweight?)

                  (b) Decide which OTA functions you -really- want, and "hack" into it to activate only those features. Perhaps simple analog voltages to the three focusing motors? Perhaps ignore Meade's dew-heater electronics and wire on a Kendricks controller? Do you really need the internal temperature sensor?

                  No matter which you chose, the resulting project would make a very popular series of articles for the group...

                  good luck
                  --dick

                • allanovercast@yahoo.com
                  Message 8 of 26 , Feb 10 11:06 AM
                    I'm planning on doing the same. I am an electronics designer and own a manufacturing facility. I have some ideas and can communicate with you off-line.
                    Allan Overcast

                    Message 9 of 26 , Feb 10 11:35 AM
                      Just one caveat on the motors thingy.
                      The focus motors are just std DC gearhead units with encoders.
                      These could be driven easily enough, but a new form of encoder reading would be needed if any "absolute" accuracy was reqd.

                      As part of trying to fix the serial focussing commands a while ago, we determined that some of the reference data is stored in eeprom on the motor daughterboards, and that some gets stored in the main CPU lists. There are also specific AUX/SPI commands sent to control em.

                      A unit to drive the daughterboard could probably be knocked up,
                      but it would require a bit of expertise and time, and a lot of comms sniffing :-)

                      Andrew Johansen Melbourne Australia

                      --- In RCX400@yahoogroups.com, "autostaretx" <rseymour@...> wrote:

                      > I think you could go about this in two major ways:
                      >
                      > (a) build a box to hold the electronics (perhaps helping be a counterweight?)
                      >
                      > (b) Decide which OTA functions you -really- want, and "hack" into it to activate only those features. Perhaps simple analog voltages to the three focusing motors? Perhaps ignore Meade's dew-heater electronics and wire on a Kendricks controller? Do you really need the internal temperature sensor?
                      >
                      > No matter which you chose, the resulting project would make a very popular series of articles for the group...
                      >
                      > good luck
                      > --dick
                      >
                      > --- In RCX400@yahoogroups.com, "Nicolaj Starworks" <nh@> wrote:
                      > >
                      > > Well, there was no way back as I could not live with the RCX mount. I had to do something but you are right - i had'nt quite done all the resarch. This is also why I asked you guys here.
                      > >
                      > > You are of course right - the main computer is in the base and is needed to make the features in OTA work. It could be done but maybe i would be better off putting another OTA on my new mount.
                      > >
                      > > Electronics is my work so I think I can handle it but the result would be an external chassis looking not-nice on the tube and leaving the spare mount useless.
                      > >
                      > > Thanks for your comments.
                      > >
                      > > Nicolaj

                    • Rob
                      Message 10 of 26 , Feb 10 12:15 PM
                        Nicolaj,
                        Why not just sell your RCX "as is" and go with an LX200-ACF OTA instead.  The main trade offs would be f/10 vs f/8, carbon vs metal tube, moving corrector vs moving pri mirror for focus.  If you can live with those it makes sense not to have a potentially crippled RCX OTA with an ugly electronics headache. You might even be able to go from your 12" to a 14" for what you could get for your current setup.  Just my 2 cents. Best of luck with whatever you do.
                        Rob

                      • Nicolaj Starworks
                        Message 11 of 26 , Feb 10 2:15 PM

                          The more I've been thinking he more I have come to the same conclusion. I'll try to sell my RCX400 and buy or construct an OTA for the mount.

                          Thanks for your comment.

                          On Feb 10, 2010, at 11:35 AM, "johansea" <johansea@optusnet. com.au> wrote:

                          Just one caveat on the motors thingy.
                          The focus motors are just std DC gearhead units with encoders.
                          These could be driven easily enough, but a new form of encoder reading would be needed if any "absolute" accuracy was reqd.

                          As part of trying to fix the serial focussing commands a while ago, we determined that some of the reference data is stored in eeprom on the motor daughterboards, and that some gets stored in the main CPU lists. There are also specific AUX/SPI commands sent to control em.

                          A unit to drive the daughterboard could probably be knocked up,
                          but it would require a bit of expertise and time, and a lot of comms sniffing :-)

                          Andrew Johansen Melbourne Australia

                          --- In RCX400@yahoogroups. com, "autostaretx" <rseymour@.. .> wrote:

                          > I think you could go about this in two major ways:
                          >
                          > (a) build a box to hold the electronics (perhaps helping be a counterweight? )
                          >
                          > (b) Decide which OTA functions you -really- want, and "hack" into it to activate only those features. Perhaps simple analog voltages to the three focusing motors? Perhaps ignore Meade's dew-heater electronics and wire on a Kendricks controller? Do you really need the internal temperature sensor?
                          >
                          > No matter which you chose, the resulting project would make a very popular series of articles for the group...
                          >
                          > good luck
                          > --dick
                          >
                          > --- In RCX400@yahoogroups. com, "Nicolaj Starworks" <nh@> wrote:
                          > >
                          > > Well, there was no way back as I could not live with the RCX mount. I had to do something but you are right - i had'nt quite done all the resarch. This is also why I asked you guys here.
                          > >
                          > > You are of course right - the main computer is in the base and is needed to make the features in OTA work. It could be done but maybe i would be better off putting another OTA on my new mount.
                          > >
                          > > Electronics is my work so I think I can handle it but the result would be an external chassis looking not-nice on the tube and leaving the spare mount useless.
                          > >
                          > > Thanks for your comments.
                          > >
                          > > Nicolaj

                        • Lawrence Harris
                          Message 12 of 26 , Feb 12 2:43 AM
                            >Re: RCX on german mount
                            > Posted by: "Nicolaj Starworks" nh@... nicolaj_haarup
                            > Date: Wed Feb 10, 2010 9:18 am ((PST))
                            >
                            >Well, there was no way back as I could not live with the RCX mount. I had to do something but you are right - i had'nt quite done all the resarch. This is also why I asked you guys here.
                            >
                            >You are of course right - the main computer is in the base and is needed to make the features in OTA work. It could be done but maybe i would be better off putting another OTA on my new mount.
                            >
                            >Electronics is my work so I think I can handle it but the result would be an external chassis looking not-nice on the tube and leaving the spare mount useless.
                            >
                            >Thanks for your comments.
                            >
                            >Nicolaj

                            Hello Nicolaj

                            I don't know why you feel that you cannot live with the RCX400 mount. By the
                            time mine was fully balanced and the native PE reduced to about 2 - 3 arc.secs,
                            guiding is perfect.

                            best regards

                            Lawrence Harris
                          • wforacer.rm
                            Message 13 of 26 , Feb 13 9:16 AM
                              Hi Lawrence,

                              If you got a RCX400 down to 2-3 arc/sec PE, then you have one of a kind, those numbers are more like a AP1200 mount, that is $9000 for the mount alone.

                              Most LX200/RCX400 PE numbers I read are in the 20's (if your lucky) to 30-40 PE pk-pk.

                              If any of you guys know your RCX400 or LX200 PE numbers and corrected PEC numbers, please post them.

                              My G11 is 7 pk-pk, PEC on its under 2 pk-pk, with the Ovision worm ($500), the G11 is guaranty under 5pk-pk, some are in the 3's.

                              BTW, I have a Schaefer mount that's full go to that has a payload capacity of 125lbs that is for sale, contact me offline at wforacer@... if interested, I am in SoCal.

                              Clear Skies,
                              Oz

                              --- In RCX400@yahoogroups.com, Lawrence Harris <lawrence@...> wrote:

                              > >Re: RCX on german mount
                              > > Posted by: "Nicolaj Starworks" nh@... nicolaj_haarup
                              > > Date: Wed Feb 10, 2010 9:18 am ((PST))
                              > >
                              > >Well, there was no way back as I could not live with the RCX mount. I had to do something but you are right - i had'nt quite done all the resarch. This is also why I asked you guys here.
                              > >
                              > >You are of course right - the main computer is in the base and is needed to make the features in OTA work. It could be done but maybe i would be better off putting another OTA on my new mount.
                              > >
                              > >Electronics is my work so I think I can handle it but the result woud be an external chassis looking not-nice on the tube and leaving the spare mount useless.
                              > >
                              > >Thanks for your comments.
                              > >
                              > >Nicolaj
                              >
                              > Hello Nicolaj
                              >
                              > I don't know why you feel that you cannot live with the RCX400 mount. By the
                              > time mine was fully balanced and the native PE reduced to about 2 - 3 arc.secs,
                              > guiding is perfect.
                              >
                              > best regards
                              >
                              > Lawrence Harris

                            • rpg74133
                              Message 14 of 26 , Feb 13 11:55 AM
                                Nicolaj,

                                I am curious how you are able to manage to maintain your PE at 2-3 arc-seconds. I assume that you are using something such as PEMPRO to obtain this PE reduction. However, when I obtain this type of reduction, I am unable to maintain it at this level. This raises several questions:

                                1) How were you able to reduce your PE?

                                2) Are you able to maintain this PE or do you continually need to refine it?

                                3) What version of RCX firmware are you running?

                                I appreciate your answers to these questions.

                                Rod

                                --- In RCX400@yahoogroups.com, Lawrence Harris <lawrence@...> wrote:

                                > >Re: RCX on german mount
                                > > Posted by: "Nicolaj Starworks" nh@... nicolaj_haarup
                                > > Date: Wed Feb 10, 2010 9:18 am ((PST))
                                > >
                                > >Well, there was no way back as I could not live with the RCX mount. I had to do something but you are right - i had'nt quite done all the resarch. This is also why I asked you guys here.
                                > >
                                > >You are of course right - the main computer is in the base and is needed to make the features in OTA work. It could be done but maybe i would be better off putting another OTA on my new mount.
                                > >
                                > >Electronics is my work so I think I can handle it but the result would be an external chassis looking not-nice on the tube and leaving the spare mount useless.
                                > >
                                > >Thanks for your comments.
                                > >
                                > >Nicolaj
                                >
                                > Hello Nicolaj
                                >
                                > I don't know why you feel that you cannot live with the RCX400 mount. By the
                                > time mine was fully balanced and the native PE reduced to about 2 - 3 arc.secs,
                                > guiding is perfect.
                                >
                                > best regards
                                >
                                > Lawrence Harris

                              • ldjhandm
                                Message 15 of 26 , Feb 15 1:31 AM
                                  Hello Oz (?)

                                  After doing the essentials including balancing the 'scope, I did a first 3-cycle PE run and produced a correction curve. I then did a test run to check that it was improved, and then did a further multi-cycle run (I logged all the figures somewhere) and produced a new correction curve. After uploading and testing this, I re-measured the final PE - and it was within atmospheric scintillation.

                                  Although Pempro 'publish' a list of users' results, it is somewhat non-maintained. I sent in mine - but they were never included.

                                  I am shortly setting up my new observatory in a new place and will be repeating the whole process all over again.

                                  regards

                                  Lawrence Harris

                                  --- In RCX400@yahoogroups.com, "wforacer.rm" <wforacer@...> wrote:

                                  > Hi Lawrence,
                                  >
                                  > If you got a RCX400 down to 2-3 arc/sec PE, then you have one of a kind, those numbers are more like a AP1200 mount, that is $9000 for the mount alone.
                                  >
                                  > Most LX200/RCX400 PE numbers I read are in the 20's (if your lucky) to 30-40 PE pk-pk.
                                  >
                                  > If any of you guys know your RCX400 or LX200 PE numbers and corrected PEC numbers, please post them.
                                  >
                                  > My G11 is 7 pk-pk, PEC on its under 2 pk-pk, with the Ovision worm ($500), the G11 is guaranty under 5pk-pk, some are in the 3's.
                                  >
                                  > BTW, I have a Schaefer mount that's full go to that has a payload capacity of 125lbs that is for sale, contact me offline at wforacer@... if interested, I am in SoCal.
                                  >
                                  > Clear Skies,
                                  > Oz
                                  >

                                  > --- In RCX400@yahoogroups.com, Lawrence Harris <lawrence@> wrote:
                                  > >
                                  > > >Re: RCX on german mount
                                  > > > Posted by: "Nicolaj Starworks" nh@ nicolaj_haarup
                                  > > > Date: Wed Feb 10, 2010 9:18 am ((PST))
                                  > > >
                                  > > >Well, there was no way back as I could not live with the RCX mount. I had to do something but you are right - i had'nt quite done all the resarch. This is also why I asked you guys here.
                                  > > >
                                  > > >You are of course right - the main computer is in the base and is needed to make the features in OTA work. It could be done but maybe i would be better off putting another OTA on my new mount.
                                  > > >
                                  > > >Electronics is my work so I think I can handle it but the result woud be an external chassis looking not-nice on the tube and leaving the spare mount useless.
                                  > > >
                                  > > >Thanks for your comments.
                                  > > >
                                  > > >Nicolaj
                                  > >
                                  > > Hello Nicolaj
                                  > >
                                  > > I don't know why you feel that you cannot live with the RCX400 mount. By the
                                  > > time mine was fully balanced and the native PE reduced to about 2 - 3 arc.secs,
                                  > > guiding is perfect.
                                  > >
                                  > > best regards
                                  > >
                                  > > Lawrence Harris

                                • Bishop EyeClinic
                                  Message 16 of 26 , Feb 15 8:17 AM
                                    I have a 16" fork mounted RCX400 which has native PE of 55-60 arc sec peak to peak. With PEMPro I can reduce this to about 5-6 arc sec peak to peak, however over time the native PE changes ( both in phase and magnitude ) and the programmed PECorrection no longer adequately corrects the periodic error, and the mount must be re-trained with new data from PEMPro. What aperture RCX400 do you have? Have you noticed any drift in the correction over time ( others have ) ? Thanks, John Bishop

                                    After doing the essentials including balancing the 'scope, I did a first 3-cycle PE run and produced a correction curve. I then did a test run to check that it was improved, and then did a further multi-cycle run (I logged all the figures somewhere) and produced a new correction curve. After uploading and testing this, I re-measured the final PE - and it was within atmospheric scintillation.

                                    Although Pempro 'publish' a list of users' results, it is somewhat non-maintained. I sent in mine - but they were never included.

                                    I am shortly setting up my new observatory in a new place and will be repeating the whole process all over again.

                                    regards

                                    Lawrence Harris

                                    --- In RCX400@yahoogroups. com, "wforacer.rm" <wforacer@.. .> wrote:

                                    > Hi Lawrence,
                                    >
                                    > If you got a RCX400 down to 2-3 arc/sec PE, then you have one of a kind, those numbers are more like a AP1200 mount, that is $9000 for the mount alone.
                                    >
                                    > Most LX200/RCX400 PE numbers I read are in the 20's (if your lucky) to 30-40 PE pk-pk.
                                    >
                                    > If any of you guys know your RCX400 or LX200 PE numbers and corrected PEC numbers, please post them.
                                    >
                                    > My G11 is 7 pk-pk, PEC on its under 2 pk-pk, with the Ovision worm ($500), the G11 is guaranty under 5pk-pk, some are in the 3's.
                                    >
                                    > BTW, I have a Schaefer mount that's full go to that has a payload capacity of 125lbs that is for sale, contact me offline at wforacer@... if interested, I am in SoCal.
                                    >
                                    > Clear Skies,
                                    > Oz
                                    >

                                    > --- In RCX400@yahoogroups. com, Lawrence Harris <lawrence@> wrote:
                                    > >
                                    > > >Re: RCX on german mount
                                    > > > Posted by: "Nicolaj Starworks" nh@ nicolaj_haarup
                                    > > > Date: Wed Feb 10, 2010 9:18 am ((PST))
                                    > > >
                                    > > >Well, there was no way back as I could not live with the RCX mount. I had to do something but you are right - i had'nt quite done all the resarch. This is also why I asked you guys here.
                                    > > >
                                    > > >You are of course right - the main computer is in the base and is needed to make the features in OTA work. It could be done but maybe i would be better off putting another OTA on my new mount.
                                    > > >
                                    > > >Electronics is my work so I think I can handle it but the result woud be an external chassis looking not-nice on the tube and leaving the spare mount useless.
                                    > > >
                                    > > >Thanks for your comments.
                                    > > >
                                    > > >Nicolaj
                                    > >
                                    > > Hello Nicolaj
                                    > >
                                    > > I don't know why you feel that you cannot live with the RCX400 mount. By the
                                    > > time mine was fully balanced and the native PE reduced to about 2 - 3 arc.secs,
                                    > > guiding is perfect.
                                    > >
                                    > > best regards
                                    > >
                                    > > Lawrence Harris

                                  • Lawrence Harris
                                    Message 17 of 26 , Feb 15 8:25 AM
                                      Hello John

                                      My 12" RCX400 was 'done' a couple of years back. Last March it was dismantled
                                      for two house moves. When I have re-assembled it all (Feb-March) I shall re-do
                                      the PEC. There will always be drift over time so I would expect to re-do PEC
                                      every 6 months or less (ie 5 months).

                                      best wishes

                                      Lawrence

                                      On Mon, 15 Feb 2010 08:17:52 -0800 (PST), you wrote:

                                      >I have a 16" fork mounted RCX400 which has native PE of 55-60 arc sec peak to peak. With PEMPro I can reduce this to about 5-6 arc sec peak to peak, however over time the native PE changes ( both in phase and magnitude ) and the programmed PECorrection no longer adequately corrects the periodic error, and the mount must be re-trained with new data from PEMPro. What aperture RCX400 do you have? Have you noticed any drift in the correction over time ( others have ) ? Thanks, John Bishop

                                    • wforacer.rm
                                      Message 18 of 26 , Feb 16 9:45 AM
                                        I have a 10 and 12 inch RCX, also LX200GPS 10, 12, and 14 inches.

                                        While I just got the RCXs and have not had the time to check PE, the PE on the other mounts are all between 32 and 64 arc/sec. The RCX line (I was told) uses the same drive system, I know the 14 and 16 inchers have a floating worm.

                                        cheers
                                        Oz

                                        Message 19 of 26 , Feb 16 10:57 AM
                                          I'm ignorant. What is a floating worm, and would that contribute to changes in the phase or magnitude of the periodic error curve over time? Thanks, John Bishop

                                          I have a 10 and 12 inch RCX, also LX200GPS 10, 12, and 14 inches.

                                          While I just got the RCXs and have not had the time to check PE, the PE on the other mounts are all between 32 and 64 arc/sec. The RCX line (I was told) uses the same drive system, I know the 14 and 16 inchers have a floating worm.

                                          cheers
                                          Oz

                                          --- In RCX400@yahoogroups. com, Bishop EyeClinic <bishopeyes@ ...> wrote:

                                          > I have a 16" fork mounted RCX400 which has native PE of 55-60 arc sec peak to peak. With PEMPro I can reduce this to about 5-6 arc sec peak to peak, however over time the native PE changes ( both in phase and magnitude ) and the programmed PECorrection no longer adequately corrects the periodic error, and the mount must be re-trained with new data from PEMPro. What aperture RCX400 do you have? Have you noticed any drift in the correction over time ( others have ) ? Thanks, John Bishop

                                        • afm038
                                          Message 20 of 26 , Feb 20 11:14 AM
                                            Lawrence,

                                            In order to reduce your RCX PE have you done any mechanical mods like the Bucks gears upgrade or mechanical adjustments on the gear train to remove any 'slop' ?

                                            Have you balanced the RCX so it has a small weight bias keeping the gears meshed or do you have it fully balanced with no bias ?

                                            I do not have Pempro yet but have seens on their support site you have have done extensive work on your RCX with it.

                                            I've had my 14 inch scope but only used it visually here in the UK and I'm just starting down this route to try and improve it for autoguiding so any tips would be most welcome.

                                            Thanks, Andy

                                            --- In RCX400@yahoogroups.com, Lawrence Harris <lawrence@...> wrote:

                                            > >Re: RCX on german mount
                                            > > Posted by: "Nicolaj Starworks" nh@... nicolaj_haarup
                                            > > Date: Wed Feb 10, 2010 9:18 am ((PST))
                                            > >
                                            > >Well, there was no way back as I could not live with the RCX mount. I had to do something but you are right - i had'nt quite done all the resarch. This is also why I asked you guys here.
                                            > >
                                            > >You are of course right - the main computer is in the base and is needed to make the features in OTA work. It could be done but maybe i would be better off putting another OTA on my new mount.
                                            > >
                                            > >Electronics is my work so I think I can handle it but the result would be an external chassis looking not-nice on the tube and leaving the spare mount useless.
                                            > >
                                            > >Thanks for your comments.
                                            > >
                                            > >Nicolaj
                                            >
                                            > Hello Nicolaj
                                            >
                                            > I don't know why you feel that you cannot live with the RCX400 mount. By the
                                            > time mine was fully balanced and the native PE reduced to about 2 - 3 arc.secs,
                                            > guiding is perfect.
                                            >
                                            > best regards
                                            >
                                            > Lawrence Harris

                                          • Lawrence Harris
                                            Message 21 of 26 , Feb 22 2:00 AM
                                              >Re: RCX on german mount
                                              > Posted by: "afm038" andrew.mickleburgh@... afm038
                                              > Date: Sat Feb 20, 2010 12:20 pm ((PST))
                                              >
                                              >Lawrence,
                                              >
                                              >In order to reduce your RCX PE have you done any mechanical mods like the Bucks gears upgrade or mechanical adjustments on the gear train to remove any 'slop' ?
                                              >
                                              >Have you balanced the RCX so it has a small weight bias keeping the gears meshed or do you have it fully balanced with no bias ?
                                              >
                                              >I do not have Pempro yet but have seens on their support site you have have done extensive work on your RCX with it.
                                              >
                                              >I've had my 14 inch scope but only used it visually here in the UK and I'm just starting down this route to try and improve it for autoguiding so any tips would be most welcome.
                                              >
                                              >Thanks, Andy

                                              Hi Andy

                                              No and no. I have only done the Bucks dec modification - but that will not
                                              affect PEC in any way.

                                              As previously described, I did a proper balance of the whole scope such that
                                              there is a residual bias to retain mesh. At the time, I had a fairly heavy
                                              guidescope mounted. This time, I shall not use that because I mostly use an
                                              SX-AO unit for imaging, so the finder scope really isn't necessary.

                                              For some reason the Pempro web site person has never included my results in the
                                              list of RCX400 results: they have had just 2 listed results - not mine. I have
                                              asked about this twice, simply out of curiosity, noting that they actually ask
                                              for user results..... but the table has not been updated in several years......

                                              You need to follow the whole procedure for the RCX400 carefully, and verify the
                                              first correction level before proceeding. The Pempro group is very helpful.

                                              good luck

                                              Lawrence
                                            • Steve C. Mitchell, Sr.
                                              Message 22 of 26 , Feb 22 9:21 PM
                                                Hey Lawrence,

                                                A search of the Yahoo groups for "Pempro" and "ccdware pempro" don't turn up any group except the AP-Pempro group which appears to be oriented to AP mounts. Do you have a correct link to the group?

                                                Steve

                                                Stephen C. Mitchell, Sr., O.D.
                                                Scopehill Observatory
                                                12", RCX400

                                                Message 23 of 26 , Feb 23 7:02 AM
                                                  >Re: RCX on german mount
                                                  > Posted by: "Steve C. Mitchell, Sr." smitchell@... eyecenter1000
                                                  > Date: Mon Feb 22, 2010 10:37 pm ((PST))
                                                  >
                                                  >Hey Lawrence,
                                                  >
                                                  >A search of the Yahoo groups for "Pempro" and "ccdware pempro" don't
                                                  >turn up any group except the AP-Pempro group which appears to be
                                                  >oriented to AP mounts. Do you have a correct link to the group?
                                                  >

                                                  >Steve
                                                  >
                                                  >Stephen C. Mitchell, Sr., O.D.

                                                  http://www.ccdware.com/products/pempro/

                                                  Doesn't run via Yahoo (more's the pity....)

                                                  Lawrence
                                                • afm038
                                                  Message 24 of 26 , Feb 23 12:28 PM
                                                    Lawrence,

                                                    Has the Bucks gears upgrade on Dec improved or removed the backlash in the Dec drive train over what the standard gears had ? My guiding in Dec is not very good so I now only autoguide in RA, the poor Dec is mainly due to a small amount 'slop' in the drive so I was thinking of this upgrade to remove it - was it straight forward to do ?

                                                    I've balanced mine as you say with a bias East to keep the RA meshed, I have also got it slightly nose heavy to resist any rocking in the Dec due to wind.

                                                    It's a real shame that the Pempro people seem reluctant to update the results list, a list of success' would surely encourage more people to perform PEC improvements (and increase the software sales !).

                                                    Best wishes, Andy

                                                    --- In RCX400@yahoogroups.com, Lawrence Harris <lawrence@...> wrote:

                                                    > >Re: RCX on german mount
                                                    > > Posted by: "afm038" andrew.mickleburgh@... afm038
                                                    > > Date: Sat Feb 20, 2010 12:20 pm ((PST))
                                                    > >
                                                    > >Lawrence,
                                                    > >
                                                    > >In order to reduce your RCX PE have you done any mechanical mods like the Bucks gears upgrade or mechanical adjustments on the gear train to remove any 'slop' ?
                                                    > >
                                                    > >Have you balanced the RCX so it has a small weight bias keeping the gears meshed or do you have it fully balanced with no bias ?
                                                    > >
                                                    > >I do not have Pempro yet but have seens on their support site you have have done extensive work on your RCX with it.
                                                    > >
                                                    > >I've had my 14 inch scope but only used it visually here in the UK and I'm just starting down this route to try and improve it for autoguiding so any tips would be most welcome.
                                                    > >
                                                    > >Thanks, Andy
                                                    >
                                                    > Hi Andy
                                                    >
                                                    > No and no. I have only done the Bucks dec modification - but that will not
                                                    > affect PEC in any way.
                                                    >
                                                    > As previously described, I did a proper balance of the whole scope such that
                                                    > there is a residual bias to retain mesh. At the time, I had a fairly heavy
                                                    > guidescope mounted. This time, I shall not use that because I mostly use an
                                                    > SX-AO unit for imaging, so the finder scope really isn't necessary.
                                                    >
                                                    > For some reason the Pempro web site person has never included my results in the
                                                    > list of RCX400 results: they have had just 2 listed results - not mine. I have
                                                    > asked about this twice, simply out of curiosity, noting that they actually ask
                                                    > for user results..... but the table has not been updated in several years......
                                                    >
                                                    > You need to follow the whole procedure for the RCX400 carefully, and verify the
                                                    > first correction level before proceeding. The Pempro group is very helpful.
                                                    >
                                                    > good luck
                                                    >
                                                    > Lawrence

                                                  • Steve C. Mitchell, Sr.
                                                    Message 25 of 26 , Feb 23 9:39 PM
                                                      Ah ha! No wonder I couldn't find it here.
                                                      Thanks,

                                                      Steve

                                                      Stephen C. Mitchell, Sr., O.D.
                                                      Scopehill Observatory
                                                      12", RCX400

                                                      Message 26 of 26 , Feb 24 7:22 AM
                                                        >Re: RCX on german mount
                                                        > Posted by: "afm038" andrew.mickleburgh@... afm038
                                                        > Date: Tue Feb 23, 2010 2:17 pm ((PST))
                                                        >
                                                        >Lawrence,
                                                        >
                                                        >Has the Bucks gears upgrade on Dec improved or removed the backlash in the Dec drive train over what the standard gears had ? My guiding in Dec is not very good so I now only autoguide in RA, the poor Dec is mainly due to a small amount 'slop' in the drive so I was thinking of this upgrade to remove it - was it straight forward to do ?

                                                        Sorry - I have misled you. I did the dec clutch upgrade - not gearing upgrade.

                                                        Pempro includes a dec backlash facility.

                                                        >I've balanced mine as you say with a bias East to keep the RA meshed, I have also got it slightly nose heavy to resist any rocking in the Dec due to wind.
                                                        >
                                                        >It's a real shame that the Pempro people seem reluctant to update the results list, a list of success' would surely encourage more people to perform PEC improvements (and increase the software sales !).

                                                        Who understands such strange ideas.......?

                                                        Lawrence