RCX400 OTA on Losmandy G-11 Mount Opinions

  • rcx400
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 1, 2010
      I'm considering giving up on the RCX400 fork mount and just moving the OTA to a more supported GEM. It looks like I'm gonna hafta spend some coin on a good mount of this type, so I need to get it right the first time if at all possible.

      Those of you using any scope on a Losmandy G-11 mount, and especially any RCX400 users who have performed this kind of scope-ectomy already... any pros and cons about the mount you might like to share? Suggestions or tips I should hear? Obstacles to functional use?

      I realize this isn't the Losmandy group, but I don't want just Losmandy fan-boys/girls answering. If those who want to reply prefer, go ahead and send replies to my email instead of through the forum. Thanks for everyone's patience.

      Rod
    • autostaretx
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 2, 2010
        Um.... how are you planning to move the computer cards and wiring
        harnesses?
        Otherwise you won't be able to focus and collimate the wee beastie.

        just curious
        have fun
        --dick

        --- In RCX400@yahoogroups.com, "rcx400" <rodsrun@...> wrote:

        > I'm considering giving up on the RCX400 fork mount and just moving the OTA to a more supported GEM. It looks like I'm gonna hafta spend some coin on a good mount of this type, so I need to get it right the first time if at all possible.
        >
        > Those of you using any scope on a Losmandy G-11 mount, and especially any RCX400 users who have performed this kind of scope-ectomy already... any pros and cons about the mount you might like to share? Suggestions or tips I should hear? Obstacles to functional use?
        >
        > I realize this isn't the Losmandy group, but I don't want just Losmandy fan-boys/girls answering. If those who want to reply prefer, go ahead and send replies to my email instead of through the forum. Thanks for everyone's patience.
        >
        > Rod

      • rcx400
        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 2, 2010
          "won't be able to focus" - I can't reliably and repeatably do automated/remote focus on the beastie NOW :/ ... but I understand what you're asking.

          I haven't worked out the gory details yet... if necessary, I could remove all the electronics from the forks, remount and rewire into a small project box, and mount the box beneath the adjustable plates on the pier. It would be powered up with the scope when needed, but otherwise would be idle. This would allow me to continue using the Autostar handheld (wired and wireless) where necessary.

          I haven't installed it yet (its been damn cold around here), but I'll be mounting a Starlight FeatherTouch autmated focusser on the back of the OTA. As long as the OTA is focussed and collimated initially, I'm hoping there shouldn't be a need to do it again that often.

          But until I can find a mount that a) I can afford, b) will be suitable for my use, and c) doesn't just introduce a new set of unsolveable problems, the electronics support isn't my primary concern. Once I find a suitable mount, then I'll deal with the electronics stuff.

          With due deference to your considerable knowledge about the Meade scope's workings, do you see any show-stoppers in my overall concept? Is there any functional reason the electronics and scope can't be separated?

          Thanks for any help you can provide.
          Rod

          --- In RCX400@yahoogroups.com, "autostaretx" <rseymour@...> wrote:

          > Um.... how are you planning to move the computer cards and wiring
          > harnesses?
          > Otherwise you won't be able to focus and collimate the wee beastie.
          >
          > just curious
          > have fun
          > --dick
          >
          > --- In RCX400@yahoogroups.com, "rcx400" <rodsrun@> wrote:
          > >
          > > I'm considering giving up on the RCX400 fork mount and just moving the OTA to a more supported GEM. It looks like I'm gonna hafta spend some coin on a good mount of this type, so I need to get it right the first time if at all possible.
          > >
          > > Those of you using any scope on a Losmandy G-11 mount, and especially any RCX400 users who have performed this kind of scope-ectomy already... any pros and cons about the mount you might like to share? Suggestions or tips I should hear? Obstacles to functional use?
          > >
          > > I realize this isn't the Losmandy group, but I don't want just Losmandy fan-boys/girls answering. If those who want to reply prefer, go ahead and send replies to my email instead of through the forum. Thanks for everyone's patience.
          > >
          > > Rod

        • autostaretx
          Message 4 of 4 , Jan 2, 2010
            Andrew may correct me on this, but i believe there are no
            show-stoppers with your plan. Have the "scope" in Alt/Az
            so it doesn't try to do a seek-PEC-index motion with the
            non-existent motors.
            You could -test- the concept by simply unplugging the
            motor cards in the still-assembled RC400.

            good luck, write lots of reports...