Re: [RCX400] Re: Remote control

  • Roger Kersten
    Message 1 of 16 , Nov 1, 2009
      Thanks. I'll give it a try.

      --- On Tue, 10/27/09, William Kreisel <william.kreisel@...> wrote:

      From: William Kreisel <william.kreisel@...>
      Subject: Re: [RCX400] Re: Remote control
      To: RCX400@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Tuesday, October 27, 2009, 7:20 AM

      The Ranger USB extender has four separate high speed hubs in which to plug equipment into. Basically the Ranger comes with two small boxes (approx 5"x5") one is considered the local box where you plug your computer into. The second box is your remote box (the one with 4 usb hubs) and is placed next to your scope. The cat5 cable plugs into both the local and remote boxes making your remote connection to your RCX. If you go this route make sure to get exterior grade cat5 cable.

      From: Jim <jim@astrojim. com>
      Subject: [RCX400] Re: Remote control
      To: RCX400@yahoogroups. com
      Date: Monday, October 26, 2009, 1:56 PM

      Roger

      I have a permanently mounted RCX400 14" about 14 feet from my window out in the back, attached to the house by USB cord, which is mounted in a pcv pipe, that easily detaches and stores away. Operate the telescope from the comfort of my house, with the telescope in full view (no dome or shed covers it...protected by a portable cover and umbrella). Works great.

      Jim

      --- In RCX400@yahoogroups. com, William Kreisel <william.kreisel@ ...> wrote:

      > I use Icron Ranger with cat5 exterior grade cable at a distance close to 100' for the past year with great success. Icron Ranger and cable is a bit pricey but works.
      >

      > ____________ _________ _________ __

    • paizisn
      Message 2 of 16 , Nov 8, 2009
        I believe someone else already mentioned using remote desktop and it would solve all the problems.

        A laptop computer sits in the observatory and controls everything.
        Assuming there is power out there, a network connection can be established using the power line and a couple of adapter boxes plugged into the power outlets, or you could go wireless.

        In the warmth and comfort of your home your computer connects to the laptop via remote desktop running over the network. No need for any additional cables, boosters, etc.

        A neat feature of remote desktop is the session takes on the graphics capability of the client and is not limited by the graphics capability of the host.

        One caveat, the host computer (laptop) must be running the professional version of Windows. The home edition can act as a client but only the professional version can act as a host.

        Problems solved. No additional cables needed. No Extended USB cable and no added network cable.

        --- In RCX400@yahoogroups.com, Roger Kersten <rkerstenm@...> wrote:

        > Thanks. I'll give it a try.

      • Roger Kersten
        Message 3 of 16 , Nov 15, 2009
          Thanks for the advice. I have never set up a network before. Can you direct me to a site that can help me with this? I tried using the network wizard on the PCs but I do not know if I set it up properly. I am not sure how to attempt to run the lap top. I have a router and the PC that I will use from inside is a desktop and the outside (telescope PC) is the laptop.
          Roger.