Equatorial Wedge VS Field De-rotator

  • zoidsdad
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 3, 2009
      I own a 12" RCX400 and am very interested in doing CCD imaging with this equipment. Currently, I do not have an equatorial wedge or a field de-rotator. First question would be, does one or the other of these options present the "best" option for longer exposures using the RCX400?

      My concern with the wedge is that I am not set up yet at a permanent location and need to "assemble" my scope on a regular basis as I move from site to site. I am currently just able to handle lifting the OTA and getting it situated on the tripod. With the e-wedge, it looks like it could be significantly more difficult to assemble the scope. Anybody have any experience or thoughts?

      My concern with the field de-rotator is that it is one more moving part to take into consideration, and it is my understanding that all of your PEC settings/adjustments are no longer applicable. Is this true? What are concerns/alternatives?

      So, my question basically becomes – under the circumstances, what would my best alternative be,e-wedge or de-rotator? Any help would be appreciated.

      Cheers - bob
    • William Kreisel
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 5, 2009
        For me and from what I have read the ewedge is the best route but I have not used a field derotator.

        As for not having scope permantly mounted will make your imaging sessions to say the least difficult. It's one thing to setup and tear-down for casual visual which with a 12" scope can still be some what of a chore (something I did with my 10" for several years).

        It's not impossible and I'm sure alot of people haul their rigs out to remote dark sites all the time. But for me I was always worried about the accidental dropping of the scope when setting up/tearing down. It was difficult for me to set my 10" up on the ewedge and I usually would ask a neighbor friend for help. A 12" must be very difficult and scary to setup by yourself.

        There are some nice options for permantly mounted scopes with housing you can setup and dismantle in order to take with you should you relocate. Are the options pricey? Absolutely. But most things are in this passion of ours. Building your own wood framed roll-off roof shed style housing is the route I went which is much more cost effective, but you need to know that you will be at that location for some time to make it worth your effort.