Re: Near Earth Asteroid Pass Monday-Tuesday

  • jimcj1953
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 28, 2009
      Hello Dr. Clay,
      When I enter the ephemeris information in my computer it doesn't look
      like this NEO will clear the Southern horizon at my location (37* N
      Lat.) Did I screw up the data or is southern Missouri too far
      North? Thanks, Jim

      --- In RCX400@yahoogroups.com, "P. Clay Sherrod" <drclay@...> wrote:

      > An exciting very close pass of a Near Earth Asteroid for observers
      in the northern
      > hemisphere awaits Monday and Tuesday nights; NEO 2009 DD45 will
      skim within 0.0003 AU of
      > the earth during the early evening hours of March 1 (2nd UT) and
      will attain a brightness
      > of at least mag. 10.8, perhaps brighter.
      >
      > This object is moving incredibly fast, so charts and preparations
      will be necessary to
      > even keep up with it telescopically as it moves rapidly north and
      east each hour.

      > For full details and ephemeris information, click:
      > http://www.cfa.harvard.edu/mpec/K09/K09D80.html
      >
      > For details on the exact elements to enter into any PC or GO TO
      program, use the MPC
      > Ephemeris service at:
      > http://www.cfa.harvard.edu/iau/MPEph/MPEph.html
      >
      > This is an incredible opportunity to witness a very, very close
      pass of a dangerous NEO
      > toward Earth.
      >
      > Have fun!
      >
      > Dr. Clay
      > _____
      > Arkansas Sky Observatories
      > MPC H45 - Petit Jean Mountain South
      > MPC H41 - Petit Jean Mountain
      > MPC H43 - Conway West
      > http://www.arksky.org/

    • P. Clay Sherrod
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 1, 2009
        No....by tomorrow night (Monday at nightfall), the NEO will be high in northern skies. It
        will be in the constellation of Hercules (17h 07m 25s / +38 00' 40") at 01:21 UT (about
        7:20 CST); to compare, by 10 p.m. CST (04:00 UT), it will a bit to the west and north of
        that location, having slowed down tremendously. Magnitude will like be about 15.5 to 15.9
        during that time. This is after a 10-hour trip that is carrying it northward from a -54
        degree position in the southern hemisphere skies at magnitude 13.9 while there.

        Dr. Clay
        _____
        Arkansas Sky Observatories
        MPC H45 - Petit Jean Mountain South
        MPC H41 - Petit Jean Mountain
        MPC H43 - Conway West
        http://www.arksky.org/

        > When I enter the ephemeris information in my computer it doesn't look
        > like this NEO will clear the Southern horizon at my location (37* N
        > Lat.) Did I screw up the data or is southern Missouri too far
        > North? Thanks, Jim
        >
        > --- In RCX400@yahoogroups.com, "P. Clay Sherrod" <drclay@...> wrote:
        >>
        >> An exciting very close pass of a Near Earth Asteroid for observers
        > in the northern
        >> hemisphere awaits Monday and Tuesday nights; NEO 2009 DD45 will
        > skim within 0.0003 AU of
        >> the earth during the early evening hours of March 1 (2nd UT) and
        > will attain a brightness
        >> of at least mag. 10.8, perhaps brighter.
        >>
        >> This object is moving incredibly fast, so charts and preparations
        > will be necessary to
        >> even keep up with it telescopically as it moves rapidly north and
        > east each hour.
        >>
        >> For full details and ephemeris information, click:
        >> http://www.cfa.harvard.edu/mpec/K09/K09D80.html
        >>
        >> For details on the exact elements to enter into any PC or GO TO
        > program, use the MPC
        >> Ephemeris service at:
        >> http://www.cfa.harvard.edu/iau/MPEph/MPEph.html
        >>
        >> This is an incredible opportunity to witness a very, very close
        > pass of a dangerous NEO
        >> toward Earth.
        >>
        >> Have fun!
        >>
        >> Dr. Clay
        >> _____
        >> Arkansas Sky Observatories
        >> MPC H45 - Petit Jean Mountain South
        >> MPC H41 - Petit Jean Mountain
        >> MPC H43 - Conway West
        >> http://www.arksky.org/

      • jimcj1953
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 1, 2009
          Thanks again, I obviously need to rework the numbers for Monday
          evening. I'll be looking, but I'll need a break in the weather. Jim