Meade Sky Assurance Plan

  • robertcbauman
    Message 1 of 12 , Dec 1, 2008
      I have an RCX400-16 and have been thinking of adding the Sky Assurance
      plan before my standard 1 year warranty is up.

      Any thoughts if this is a good idea considering Meade's uncertain
      financial future?

      Thank you for your thoughts,
      Bob Bauman
    • Terrence Redding
      Message 2 of 12 , Dec 1, 2008
        I am planning to do it as well for a 14" LX200R.

        Terry - W6LMJ

        Terrence R. Redding, Ph.D. RTN
        How do amateur astronomers learn?

        On Dec 1, 2008, at 9:04 AM, robertcbauman wrote:

        I have an RCX400-16 and have been thinking of adding the Sky Assurance
        plan before my standard 1 year warranty is up.

        Any thoughts if this is a good idea considering Meade's uncertain
        financial future?

        Thank you for your thoughts,
        Bob Bauman

      • Steve C. Mitchell, Sr.
        Message 3 of 12 , Dec 1, 2008

          Hey Bob,

          I think if it were me I’d be more concerned of something going wrong with my high dollar telescope and the cost of three way shipping than I would be concerned about Meade’s well being. I think they are going to be there for us in the future. Worse sh*t has happened to other companies and they have survived.

          My two cents worth,

          Steve

          Stephen C. Mitchell, Sr., OD

          Scopehill Observatory

        • starky2@bellsouth.net
          Message 4 of 12 , Dec 1, 2008

            December 1, 2008

            To Terry & Bob and anyone else out there considering sinking more cash into Meade Products.

            I think that buying a 5 year service plan from Meade is risky. I did it myself in 2008  but I was willing to risk losing the money.

            Here is my experience to date.

            New Scope = RCX400 14”  - The RCX product name  pre-dates Meade defending the lawsuit brought against Meade by Star Instruments and RC Optical Systems.

                                                   As a condition of the January 2008 settlement Meade renamed the RCX line to LX and now it is known as the LX200-ACF (Almost Coma Free)

                                                                Currently Meade does not make a Ritchey-Chretien optical system. Close but no cigar.

            Delivery Date of new scope = December 20, 2007

            System loss - Focus motor failure – lots of smoke = September 13th 2008

            After 5 day of NAGGING MEADE – a freight truck picked up my Meade scope (With Sky Assurance 5 Year Pre-Paid Plan) = September 19th, 2008

            Current Status = 10 weeks and counting and my Meade scope is still at Meade for service.  Some days when I call they cannot find it.  That’s SPOOKY!

            When I call for status I am told that “your scope is still in process”. Four different customer service reps have given me that exact word for word explanation!

            No matter what I ask about the status and location of my scope the answer is “your scope is still in process”.  Consumer Confidence Falling Like Stock Market!

            I give Meade’s Customer service rating (1 to 10 with 10 being the best) a = 0

            That is because Meade appears to not have any customer service. Most days the Customer service department answers the phone but offer no helpful information.

            For anyone owning Meade products you already know that Meade customer service is worthless and disappointing.

            On the bright side, some Meade dealers can help assist you and have great customer service but don’t confuse that with Meade.

            The Meade Customer Service Experience is frustration followed by disappointment.

            If it was not for really bad customer service Meade would have none at all.

            If you have a “no brains” Meade product like a Dobson style scope then OK. Buy it and be done with Meade. Walk away.

            But if you purchase anything from Meade more complicated than a one slice toaster, you are in for a big disappointment.

            There is no apparent product support obligation on Meade’s part and the more you spend $$$ the less Meade appears to care.

            Meade is now in the middle of a huge re-structuring and they have just moved most of their operations to Mexico. How encouraging. Can I get a siesta with that?

            Even if Meade started cranking out the best amateur astronomy scopes they’d still be doomed to failure without some reasonable customer service.

            Meade’s survival hinges upon customer confidence.  Yikes, forget customer confidence! If you own a Meade scope you are very likely the “Joke” of your local astronomy association.

            “Poor sap, he’s got one of those Meade scopes. Yeah, we saw it once before but it has been in for service since the Jurassic period.”

            Today I rate Meade’s 5 year survival at “Slim to none”, with a tilt towards none.

            I believe that Meade’s current upper management needs to be completely replaced with a new management team that recognizes the importance and value of customer service.

            If there is a press release explaining how Meade’s management team is being replaced then there may be some hope for Meade.

            Today the fact is that your purchase of a Meade scope for over $10,000.00 will get you crummy to non-existent customer service.

            Today the fact that is that if you pre-pay for Meade’s extended warranty plan costing over $1,000.00 you will get the same lousy repair experience provided Meade is still in business.

            Scope Broken? You can expect to wait for months while Meade takes their sweet time making the repairs and Meade tell you only that “your scope is in process right now”

            Sorry to relate such dismal prospects to you but anyone getting into Meade products should know exactly what they are getting into BEFORE they shell out their cash!

            And that’s my news flash about Meade.

            Gary Starkweather,

            Technically I own a Meade scope but I have not been able to use it since September 13, 2008.

            Message 5 of 12 , Dec 1, 2008
              --- In RCX400@yahoogroups.com, <starky2@...> wrote:
              > Here is my experience to date.
              >
              > New Scope = RCX400 14" - The RCX product name pre-dates Meade
              > defending the lawsuit brought against Meade by Star Instruments
              > and RC Optical Systems.
              >
              > As a condition of the January 2008 settlement Meade renamed
              > the RCX line to LX and now it is known as the
              > LX200-ACF (Almost Coma Free)

              (Almost Correct Fact?) The RCX400 became the LX400-ACF

              (the LX200-ACF is the renamed LX200-R, with the ACF optics
              mounted in the LX200GPS fork and base.)

              have fun
              --dick
            • Steven Elliott
              Message 6 of 12 , Dec 1, 2008
                Gary, you are right on the mark, lots of us have the same experience. I'm in the process of replacing ALL things with the Meade name on it.

                Steven Elliott

                To: RCX400@yahoogroups.com

                I am planning to do it as well for a 14" LX200R.

                Terry - W6LMJ

                Terrence R. Redding, Ph.D. RTN

                How do amateur astronomers learn?

                On Dec 1, 2008, at 9:04 AM, robertcbauman wrote:

                I have an RCX400-16 and have been thinking of adding the Sky Assurance
                plan before my standard 1 year warranty is up.

                Any thoughts if this is a good idea considering Meade's uncertain
                financial future?

                Thank you for your thoughts,
                Bob Bauman

                Start searching now Rental properties galore.
              • Terrence Redding

                  Message 8 of 12 , Dec 3, 2008

                    Good luck Terry

                    I can sympathize with you on the scope’s “down time”.

                    I’m solving the down time issue by adding additional scopes to my toy box collection.

                    They can’t ALL be broken at the same time!

                    Gary

                    Message 9 of 12 , Dec 3, 2008

                      Steven

                      Yup, that is a solution.

                      I’m shopping for a new platform for imaging in less than perfect conditions like slight wind.

                      I’ve narrowed my shopping choices down to, Not Meade.

                      It is a painful choice for me but right now the shine has gone out of Meade.

                      For many years I’ve always thought that Meade products were the very best amateur scopes available.

                      Now my confidence is slumping.

                      On the bright side there are some Celestron scopes that look real tasty and I’m now waiting for the Xmas December shopping deals.

                      The Celestron CGEM looks good and maybe I can get the CGEM with a smaller 8” scope.

                      Gary Starkweather

                      To: RCX400@yahoogroups.com

                      I am planning to do it as well for a 14" LX200R.

                      Terry - W6LMJ

                      Terrence R. Redding, Ph.D. RTN

                      How do amateur astronomers learn?

                      On Dec 1, 2008, at 9:04 AM, robertcbauman wrote:

                      I have an RCX400-16 and have been thinking of adding the Sky Assurance
                      plan before my standard 1 year warranty is up.

                      Any thoughts if this is a good idea considering Meade's uncertain
                      financial future?

                      Thank you for your thoughts,
                      Bob Bauman

                      Start searching now Rental properties galore.

                    • Terrence R. Redding, Ph.D.
                      Message 10 of 12 , Dec 3, 2008
                        I did the same thing.

                        Bought a nice 111 mm APO and a new highly portable GPS Mini Tower from Ipotron.

                        The toys are fun.  BUt there are times when I need the 14" for a bit of science.

                        Terry - W6LMJ - 14.287

                        Terrence R. Redding, Ph.D. RTN
                        Redding Observatory South, West Palm Beach, Florida

                        Message 11 of 12 , Dec 7, 2008
                          Steve (and others on this thread) --

                          I have to *totally* agree! I feel the lively-hood of Meade's
                          existence will survive (fingers-crossed/knock on wood/etc...)

                          In lieu of all the negativity from neglected Meade repairs, I
                          actually have a success story that is very recent...

                          Back in January 2008, I purchased a Meade-refurbished 12" RCX400 for
                          $5,500 and purchased the 5-year SkyAssurance + 3-way shipping option
                          about 8 months later. I have had trouble-free operation most of the
                          year until a sensor went out on one of the mirror motors just a
                          couple months ago which I have learned is a common issue. I promptly
                          contacted Meade for service and they sent me a box to ship the scope
                          to them for repair, shipping paid fro-and-to. After making weekly
                          calls to Meade on the status of repairs, I received my scope back
                          after 7 weeks.

                          Call me one of the lucky ones, but I feel that part of the reason I
                          had a trouble-free experience with the whole process was due to
                          keeping on Meade for weekly status reports and noting the names of
                          individuals I had direct communications throughout the service.
                          Also, it would behoove you to call within a couple hours towards the
                          end of the business day (5pm PT) so that you are ensured to get
                          personnel at Meade's Irvine office where all the RCX400s are
                          repaired. Otherwise you will get someone in Mexico where there are
                          lots of learning curves being tackled in training and such which will
                          most-likely lead you astray.

                          I have to tell you that those weekly calls to Meade ensured that the
                          whole process ran smoothly. During those 7 weeks, I can recall a
                          couple instances where something could have gone wrong if I did not
                          make those calls. After all, this *is* a big investment, especially
                          for amateur astronomers alike. Why not treat it like you would any
                          other expensive item that has been brought in for repairs?

                          Likewise, my two cents-worth,
                          Arnie
                          www_spacephotons_com

                          --- In RCX400@yahoogroups.com, "Steve C. Mitchell, Sr."
                          <smitchell@...> wrote:

                          > Hey Bob,
                          >

                          > I think if it were me I'd be more concerned of something going wrong
                          > with my high dollar telescope and the cost of three way shipping
                          than I
                          > would be concerned about Meade's well being. I think they are going
                          > be there for us in the future. Worse sh*t has happened to other
                          > companies and they have survived.
                          >

                          > My two cents worth,
                          >

                          > Steve
                          >

                          > Stephen C. Mitchell, Sr., OD
                          >
                          > Scopehill Observatory
                          >
                          > ________________________________

                          Behalf

                        • starky2@bellsouth.net
                          Message 12 of 12 , Dec 7, 2008

                            Dear Arnie

                            You are now officially the “Lucky One”. 7 weeks!  Not Bad!

                            I suggest that you go out right now and get a lottery ticket.

                            The tactic you mention is a good tactic  and one that I employed also.

                            Part of the additional delay in getting my 14” RCX 400 fixed has been due to unavailable parts. Or so I was told.

                            Maybe some parts Meade uses are from 3rd party vendors or maybe they make certain assemblies only when needed.

                            I kept track of the folks I spoke with and tried diligently to keep Meade “on the ball” so to speak.

                            Eventually the CSR’s started telling me to call back in two weeks.  There is a no so hidden message in there somewhere.

                            When I called again last week the CSR I spoke with said “Oh it shipped already”.  WHAT ??????????????

                            I cannot tell you how shocked I was to hear that they shipped my scope and never bothered to call me.

                            This is a $10,000.00 scope shipping out via Yellow Freight and Meade didn’t even bother to advise that it was shipped.

                            Today EVERYBODY at least emails you to provide you your shipping information!

                            If that was my employee I’d have fired them on the spot and called the customer to apologize.

                            What If I went on vacation or something and was not able to receive the delivery? What would have happened then?

                            Have you ever received a delivery that sat around in a shipping hub for two weeks waiting to be delivered again? It’s not pretty.

                            Yes it is just one more gripe I have about Meade. How can they stoop to such dismal service level?

                            Ok enough griping. Gripe Gripe Gripe.

                            I do tire of griping about Meade because they just disappoint me over and over again.

                            I’d really like to see Meade get it together. After all, Meade makes some really great stuff. Am I wrong?

                            I’m not promoting Meade over Celestron or anything like that but Meade has done very well in the past.

                            Used to be that Meade products were top shelf, reasonably priced and well supported.

                            Today Meade has to compete with economies of Globalization and in many hi tech areas that means China or Japan.

                            Maybe Meade’s move shift assembly operations to a much lower Mexican labor source will be what Meade needs to survive.

                            After all, I don’t think that any of us want to see Meade fail. We just want them TO DO A BETTER JOB!!!!!

                            Scopeless in Florida

                            Week 12 and counting

                            Gary Starkweather