RCX400 Product Support...

  • wireless.dude
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 31, 2008
      I purchased my Meade-refurbished 12" RCX400 back in January 2008 and
      got a 5-year Sky Assurance for it with the 3-way shipping option.
      A focuser motor went bad recently, so I promptly called Meade for
      service 2-3 weeks ago. They helped me without a hitch and shipped me
      an empty 12" RCX400 box (arrived late last week). I was asked to give
      them a call as soon as I am ready to ship so that they can send me a
      shipping label which will happen Tuesday, September 2nd...

      So far, Meade has been living up to their part of the deal for the
      added service I have paid for...

      I figured you guys would like to hear first-hand from a Meade
      customer's experience thus far after the discontinuation announcement
      of the LX400-ACF line of scopes. Stay tuned for further updates! ;o)

      Clear skies,
      Arnie
    • jimcj1953
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 1, 2008
        Hi Arnie,
        You won't regret the Sky Assurance purchase. Please keep this forum
        apprised of the quality of repair & turn around time. I waited 9
        weeks the last time my RCX broke.
        Jim
        --- In RCX400@yahoogroups.com, "wireless.dude" <arnie@...> wrote:

        > I purchased my Meade-refurbished 12" RCX400 back in January 2008
        and
        > got a 5-year Sky Assurance for it with the 3-way shipping option.
        > A focuser motor went bad recently, so I promptly called Meade for
        > service 2-3 weeks ago. They helped me without a hitch and shipped
        me
        > an empty 12" RCX400 box (arrived late last week). I was asked to
        give
        > them a call as soon as I am ready to ship so that they can send me
        > shipping label which will happen Tuesday, September 2nd...
        >
        > So far, Meade has been living up to their part of the deal for the
        > added service I have paid for...
        >
        > I figured you guys would like to hear first-hand from a Meade
        > customer's experience thus far after the discontinuation
        announcement
        > of the LX400-ACF line of scopes. Stay tuned for further
        updates! ;o)

        > Clear skies,
        > Arnie

      • wireless.dude
        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 11, 2008
          Will do, Jim!

          UPDATE...

          Well, I got the scope boxed-up and called Meade on 9/5 (Friday). They
          said they would dispatch UPS with a label and pick up the package
          from my residence...

          UPS picked-up the package on 9/8 (Monday). UPS tracking showed
          receipt of delivery on 9/10 (Wednesday). So, now the clock is
          ticking on the repair, and return-delivery...

          Meanwhile, I'll be doing some astrophotography with my TeleVue
          NP127is on its Vixen Sphinx SXD mount. ;o)

          Clear skies!
          Arnie

          --- In RCX400@yahoogroups.com, "jimcj1953" <jimcja@...> wrote:

          > Hi Arnie,
          > You won't regret the Sky Assurance purchase. Please keep this
          forum
          > apprised of the quality of repair & turn around time. I waited 9
          > weeks the last time my RCX broke.
          > Jim
          > --- In RCX400@yahoogroups.com, "wireless.dude" <arnie@> wrote:
          > >
          > > I purchased my Meade-refurbished 12" RCX400 back in January 2008
          > and
          > > got a 5-year Sky Assurance for it with the 3-way shipping
          option.
          > > A focuser motor went bad recently, so I promptly called Meade for
          > > service 2-3 weeks ago. They helped me without a hitch and
          shipped
          > me
          > > an empty 12" RCX400 box (arrived late last week). I was asked to
          > give
          > > them a call as soon as I am ready to ship so that they can send
          me
          > > shipping label which will happen Tuesday, September 2nd...
          > >
          > > So far, Meade has been living up to their part of the deal for
          the
          > > added service I have paid for...
          > >
          > > I figured you guys would like to hear first-hand from a Meade
          > > customer's experience thus far after the discontinuation
          > announcement
          > > of the LX400-ACF line of scopes. Stay tuned for further
          > updates! ;o)
          > >
          > > Clear skies,
          > > Arnie

        • wireless.dude
          Message 4 of 4 , Nov 24, 2008
            Sorry for the delay on the updates to my experiences with Meade and
            my SkyAssurance + 3-way shipping option for my 12" RCX400...

            Here's the rest of the story:

            9/30/08
            I called Meade to get an update on the repairs. They indicated that
            the scope was received into their repair department on 9/11/2008 and
            technicians are working on it. They say it'll be ready 4-6 weeks from
            this date...

            10/24/08
            I gave Meade a call for an update on this 6th week of repair. It
            looks like my scope has been taken out of repair and is being QA'ed
            at this time. They say that the scope will be ready for shipment on
            Monday (October 24, 2008) and should be in the hands of UPS on
            Tuesday or Wednesday...

            So far, so good!

            10/28/08
            I called in the late morning today to get a status on the RCX400 and
            got someone who told me the contrary to what I had been told last
            Friday. Not knowing the reason why, he told me it'll take an extra 4-
            5 weeks! I took my displeasure out on the guy verbally (in a nicest
            way possible) and hung up, planning to call much later in the
            afternoon much like I did last Friday...

            I called again during the 3pm PDT hour and got a very helpful
            customer support person, David, who mentioned that there will be a
            slight delay WITH a reason. The tech working on my scope wanted a few
            more days to "collimate, clean the mirrors, and perform a few more
            adjustments". Hopefully, it will be done right!

            Apparently, I was talking to someone at Meade's Mexico facility
            previously. David said that he would bring the issue up to his
            manager and attempt to rectify it.

            I had a short discussion with David, who has been with Meade for a
            while (describes himself as "old school" Meade along with a handful
            of others at the Irvine office.) I had asked him if Meade will ever
            continue the LX400-ACF line. His answer was "only the 16" and 20"
            ones", but it is Meade's intent to continue the repair of the
            RCX400/LX400-ACFs solely at their Irvine office which is good news
            provided I have a 5-year SkyAssurance contract that isn't even one
            year old yet. Of course, this is provided as long as Meade survives
            its present "hurdles"...

            11/06/08
            My scope was shipped on Monday (11/03/08) and is out for delivery
            today! I will try to spend some time with it tonight and report my
            findings...

            YAAAAY!

            11/07/08
            FINAL UPDATE...

            Well... I received the scope in *excellent* order! Everything seems
            to work good-as-new...

            The RA drive sounds a whole lot quieter to the point I thought the
            thing wasn't tracking. Although, it has that familiar whirrrr when it
            slews. I always like to slew half the max anyway, so that was set
            accordingly...

            Now for the tasks of fine-tuning!

            In final, I think the Sky Assurance + 3-way shipping option is
            excellent insurance for your Meade scope! This first time around was
            a 6-7 week turn-around and a dime was not even spent. The only
            casualty was the withdrawl of being without it during that time!

            Clear skies!!!