RE: [RCX400] help with imaging set up...

  • Mark de Regt
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 1, 2008
      Stu,

      The camera is fine; small chip but an excellent camera.

      The filter wheel is fine.

      I understand that the Optec compressor is ok, but I have no personal
      experience with it.

      I would never, ever use the field derotator. I have heard nothing but
      horror stories about it, for many, many years. Buy a good wedge, and learn
      to polar align; it's not so bad.

      Using an SBIG dual-chip camera with the Meade fork mount is an excellent way
      to go. There are better cameras, but they all cost more.

      I would recommend the AO-7 or AO-8, after you get a little experience. It
      allows you to do great things with the Meade mount. But you'll then want to
      get a larger chip (ask me how I know).

      --Mark de Regt
      http://www.de-regt.com/Astronomy

    • Hilary Jones
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 1, 2008
        Hi Stu,

        You mentioned the CFW10 twice, so I'm wondering if that's a typo and
        you have something else in mind.

        Your setup sounds pretty reasonable; but I might do away with the
        flip mirror system if all you are going to do is astrophotography. I
        have never had any significant problems finding my target using just
        the camera; and keeping the system simple (and cheap) appeals to me.
        I can't speak for the field derotator, but I've used a Mitty wedge
        and I find it does the job just fine.

        Take care,
        Hilary

        --- In RCX400@yahoogroups.com, "stu_crcrn" <truttle@...> wrote:

        > hi guys,
        >
        > i need a bit of advice, i am looking at buying the following gear to
        > use on my 12"rcx to do some imaging.
        > has anyone had or heard of any trouble with any of these items or is
        > there a better combo?
        >

        > SBIG ST-7XME Deluxe Class 1 NABG CCD Camera [SB-ST7XMEC1]
        >
        > CFW10 Color Filter Wheel for SBIG ST Cameras [SB-CFW10]
        >
        > or a CFW10 Color Filter Wheel for SBIG ST Cameras [SB-CFW10]
        >
        > i will use it with a #647 Flip-Mirror System - 40mm Clear Aperture
        > [ME-07579]
        >
        > and a Optec - NextGEN WideField 0.5X Telecompressor Lens
        >
        > and last but not lest a Meade *#1220 Field De-Rotator for 7-14"
        > LX-Series & 10"-14" LX400-ACF Telescopes*
        > <http://www.optcorp.com/product.aspx?pid=319-327-210-421> [ME-07456]
        >
        > any idea or thoughts on the set up???
        >
        > is there a better camrea suited for the 400 then the sbig and will
        the
        > back end of the scope take the weight of the set up.
        > i a also thinking of installing peters gears etc..
        > cheers all
        >
        > stu the kiwi

      • stu_crcrn
        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 4, 2008
          Thanks for that matey,

          i did have doubts about the derotator and wasn't sure about it.
          what is a AO-7 / 8?
          i think i may get the wedge.

          thanks again for replying.