Re: Good news on USB

  • John Fourie
    Message 1 of 15 , Nov 1, 2007

      I have MaximDL controlling my RCX perfectly, direction and focus.

      Starry Night 6 also works perfectly.  I wanted to get my RCX to track the Sun for the PST I have mounted on the side.

      I have used a short USB cable from the RCX going into a 10m USB extender, plugged into a stand alone powered USB hub, then a 3m USB cable to my laptop.  Quite a mission but it works.

      Is there a radio USB device that works?

      John

      Checked by AVG Free Edition.

    • Kenneth Richmond
      Message 2 of 15 , Nov 1, 2007
        John, are you using the RCX ASCOM driver with Maxim DL?

        Thanks

        Ken R.

        Message 3 of 15 , Nov 1, 2007
          "> Is there a radio USB device that works?"

          That is the Holy Grail (to me at least). I have heard talk of
          wireless USB, here is a link with some info:
          http://www.usb.org/developers/wusb/
          I was also thinking of perhaps some sort of Bluetooth dongle (though
          that may not be fast enough for CCD imaging but should be fast
          enough to control the scope).

          BTW I was able to control my RCX - all functions - perfectly with my
          software (both Autostar Suite and Desktop Universe). Not sure if
          that means anything - just that I don't have the latest or greatest
          software but what I have works no issues.

          > Is there a radio USB device that works?
          >

          > John

          > Checked by AVG Free Edition.
          01/11/2007
          > 06:01 AM

        • Jim Carlisle
          Message 4 of 15 , Nov 1, 2007
            I dealt with that problem several months ago. Jim Cottle provided the
            answer in a similar thread. Actually, I was having trouble getting
            theSky to talk to RCX and was told I needed a serial to USB adapter,
            which turned out to be unecessary, and even more troublesome. Turns
            out that the Meade disc that comes with the RCX has the driver, and it
            solved the problems.

            Jim

            --- In RCX400@yahoogroups.com, "Stuart Thomson" <rat156@...> wrote:

            > Hi Amio,
            >
            > No, actually you were right, I was trying to get The Sky to talk to
            the RCX, it's one of the
            > ways you can get the @focus thing to work. I may be able to
            directly access the focusser
            > through ASCOM now, but I'd like to get The Sky to talk to the scope
            anyway. Now it
            > should as I was seeing the scope on COM6 last night.
            >
            > I was also talking about the USB hub in the end of the OTA, it
            wasn't working as the USB
            > connection to the scope was flaky, now it works like a dream.
            >
            > Question to the more knowledgeable, does the USB connection in the
            base of the scope
            > get it's power from the scope or the USB line?
            >
            > The way I see things connected up are, USB-B port in base of scope
            is the "in" port of a
            > four port USB hub. One of the four "out" ports is connected to a
            USB to serial adapter in
            > the scope for comms, the other three are vacant and are wired
            through to the back of the
            > OTA. Please correct me if I'm wrong.
            >
            > Cheers
            > Stuart
            >

            > --- In RCX400@yahoogroups.com, Aimo Olkkonen <amiolkkonen@> wrote:
            > >
            > > Oh well, StuartT,
            > > You can forget my response to you. I thought you were having
            trouble to get
            > > Sky6 to talk to your scope with USB cable/adapter. Also I
            understood you
            > > were talking about the USB hub at the end of the OTA ...
            > > Best rgds, AmiO
            > >
            > > On 31/10/07 12:22, "Stuart Thomson" <rat156@> wrote:
            > > >
            > > > Hi All,
            > > >
            > > > I've managed to get the scope to talk via USB to my PC!
            > > > I can run FocusMax using the ASCOM RCX driver here!
            > > > Next trick is to get CCDSoft to talk via Telescope API!
            > > > Oh, and some clear skies...
            > > >
            > > > The trick to the USB was to run off a four port hub much closer
            to the scope.
            > > > I was trying to
            > > > use the long USB cable I used to use for imaging with my SBig,
            it forced the
            > > > PC to load a new
            > > > port, which loaded the Prolific USBtoSerial driver.
            > > >
            > > > Cheers
            > > > Stuart

          • Aimo Olkkonen
            Message 5 of 15 , Nov 2, 2007
              Re: [RCX400] Re: Good news on USB TheSky6 can talk to the RCX400 with the Meade supplied USB cable or a regular serial cable. And you don’t need to buy any adapters.

              RCX400 base has a USB-to-serial adapter built inside. This is automatically used when you connect your computers USB port to RCX400 USB port at the base of the mount. I believe the latest RCX400 ‘USB driver’ is v.2, which can be downloaded from the Meade site.

              If you decide to use a serial cable, and your computer has a spare one available, you don’t use any adapter (serial-to-USB or USB-to-serial). The native language of Autostar Suite and TheSky6 is serial. Just plug the serial cable from your computer to the serial connector at the base of the mount, and the connection can be established.

              Naturally, for both alternatives you have to specify the port number and communication speed.

              Now. The problem with TheSky6 is the ‘telescope type’, which you choose in the SKY6Pro dialogue box. If you choose RCX400, which is available in the latest version, the link does not work. And it can kick your Autostar into a download mode. If you choose ‘LX200GPS’, the link works. But you don’t have the advanced RXC400 options available from TheSky6.

              Best rgds, AmiO

              Message 6 of 15 , Nov 2, 2007

                Hi Kenneth

                Yes, I was using the latest ASCOM RCX driver.  Absolutely no problems.

                John

                Checked by AVG Free Edition.

              • Kenneth Richmond
                Message 7 of 15 , Nov 2, 2007
                  Thank you John,

                  I see that I have another iteration to experiment with:  A single usb connection to the powered hub on my Max Mount and the I can use either of the MAX Mount's 2 usb to serial converters for a Pyxis rotator and focuser for the guide scope. (instead of an auxillary focuser for the main tube) My other problem was the RJ 12 Autoguider port on the mount.  It now seems that I never needed it, and it was causing some sort of handbox conflict (!) with an SBIG ST 7E and the paralell to usb converter.  Instead MAXIM DL/DSLR now picks up the DSI PRO I'm  going to use to guide right from the Mount's usb hub without using the Shoestring guideport interface from the computer. The DSLR and its Bulb release connects to the mount usb hub okay, so Everything, including Focus Max and Maxpoint might now be operative  from a single usb or network RJ12 to control everything.  It might have been helpful had this powered hub been adequately described in the manual, but I'm not going to complain.

                  Ken R.