Re: [RCX400] Re: self/auto guiding cable

  • Guy Wauters
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 1, 2007
      The ST-8 should also have an 6-pin RJ11 connector.
      At least, the older "parallel" model ST-8 I am using, has one (on the
      connector that goes to the CFW-8).
      So the connector between the two is an "RJ11-6/6 cable".

      But... last night I ran into serious trouble with this autoguider port:
      - as soon as I plugged in the autoguidercable from the ST8,
      the scope started to move North.It didn't do that when I was working
      with a Starlight Xpress SXV camera.
      It stopped when a entered a value in "% Guiding Rate" (which was blank
      for some strange reason).

      -after some time, the Autostar software started to react strange: some
      menus got lost, it wouldn't finalize a slew, ...
      As soon as the autoguidercable was disconnected, the software/scope
      was working fine again.

      -I solved the issue by "guiding" the scope through the standard LX200
      connection between the scope and PC.
      This gave very good results: best I've ever seen on my scope.

      Anyone else has similar experiences ?

      One other thing: after an upload of new firmware into the Autostar, the
      standard "%Guiding Rate" is left blank.
      If left blank, does this mean the scope will not move upon a "guide" input ?

      Guy

      autostaretx wrote:

      >--- In RCX400@yahoogroups.com, "marcelo_emilio" <marcelo_emilio@...>
      >wrote:
      >

      >>Hi,
      >>
      >> Anyone knows how to make a self/auto guiding cable for the RCX400?
      >>I have a SBIG ST-8XMEI CCD and would like to self guiding my RCX 400
      >>16ยจ. What kind of connector is need? It looks like that neither RJ11
      >>nor Ethernet connector works. Thanks in advance.
      >>

      >It uses a 6-position, 6-pin RJ11 connector at the RCX end.
      >
      >The pinout of the RCX -socket- (you have to picture the plug
      >from the rear, where the wires enter it) is shown here:
      >http://www.meade.com/manuals/pictor/picapp.html
      >(half-way down the page, as "Appendix B")
      >
      >and here (the first socket on the page: the "APM CCD Port"
      >http://jan.eaglecreekobservatory.org/pinouts.html
      >
      >You should -not- have to connect the +5v lead, since the signals
      >are pulled to ground to assert them.
      >
      >I have no idea what the SBIG end looks like.
      >
      >have fun
      >--dick

    • Dr. Douglas T. Durig
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 1, 2007

        >But... last night I ran into serious trouble with this autoguider port:
        >- as soon as I plugged in the autoguidercable from the ST8,
        >the scope started to move North.It didn't do that when I was working
        >with a Starlight Xpress SXV camera.
        >It stopped when a entered a value in "% Guiding Rate" (which was blank
        >for some strange reason).

        Like most computer equipment, you should not be plugging/unplugging
        things while they are turned on. This produces all kinds of transient
        signals through the electronics. You should first turn the telescope
        off before either plugging something into a port or unplugging
        something. I have had similar strange behavior when a cable has come
        loose during imaging runs.
        --
        Dr. D. T. Durig