Re: What's wrong with this photo?

  • Jason Ware
    Message 1 of 9 , May 1, 2007
      Except in the case of polar alignment. This time of year the
      hour angle of Polaris at sunset puts the telescope at this
      position for initial alignment. This is for people like me
      who don't have a permanent setup and must re-align after
      rolling the telescope out of the garage. I use a small step
      stool for the initial alignment then its not needed the
      rest of the night. It helps to have an assistant turn the
      knobs on the pedestal as you look through the finder, else its
      up and down the ladder :)

      --- In RCX400@yahoogroups.com, "P. Clay Sherrod" <drclay@...> wrote:

      > That is indeed a 20" and anyone who has ever used a telescope knows
      that the finder
      > would never need to be used in that polar prone position. When in
      use, the GEM rotates
      > the OTA such that the finder is in a very accessible and
      comfortable position.

      > Dr. Clay
      > -------------
      > Arkansas Sky Observatories
      > Harvard MPC/ H43 (Conway)
      > Harvard MPC/ H41 (Petit Jean Mountain)
      > Harvard MPC/ H45 (Petit Jean Mtn. South)
      > http://www.arksky.org/

    • Joseph Gillman
      Message 2 of 9 , May 1, 2007
        Ya know, I THOUGHT it was a 12! Someone came up to it to admire it
        whiloe I was there and I said if you have any questions I have this
        scope at home, ask away! It's an RCX 12 I said (I was then "corrected"
        and told "he said it was the 10!"). I thought hmm well ok I guess I
        misjudged it since I haven't used my RCX much lately so I just took
        their word for it :(

        Yes scary that they didn't even know.....
      • John A Marks
        Message 3 of 9 , May 1, 2007
          What size is the corrector plate on the 12". I have been wondering if mine
          was a twelve instead of a 10" because the box it came in said 12" RCX 400?

          Message 4 of 9 , May 1, 2007
            --- In RCX400@yahoogroups.com, "Joseph Gillman" <joseph.gillman@...>
            wrote:

            > Ya know, I THOUGHT it was a 12! Someone came up to it to admire it
            > whiloe I was there and I said if you have any questions I have this
            > scope at home, ask away! It's an RCX 12 I said (I was then "corrected"
            > and told "he said it was the 10!"). I thought hmm well ok I guess I
            > misjudged it since I haven't used my RCX much lately so I just took
            > their word for it :(

            If you could tear your eyes away from that big puppy,
            was that a -working- mySky on the left end of their table?

            have fun
            --dick
          • Joseph Gillman
            Message 5 of 9 , May 2, 2007
              The mysky was a beta version but it was working (couldn't get a GPS
              fix indoors so you couldn't really test it, but they said you could
              enter your location and time manually just like when your autostar
              doesn't get a gps fix). The box looked like it was ready to go and
              Scott Roberts said they will start shipping in May.

              It kept shutting itself off during the demonstration but that was
              probably a battery issue, as I didn't get there till the afternoon.
              When someone else is using it, you'd think they were pointing a toy
              gun around. When you pick it up yourself though, you only really see
              the sight, the buttons and the screen, and you forget you are holding
              a fake watergun.