Scanner as downconverter

  • saromurph
    Message 1 of 1 , May 17, 2013
      Greetings!

      I was wondering if anyone has tried using a scanner as a VHF/UHF downconverter. I guess the best way would be to buffer the 10.7 Mhz IF from the scanner then feed this to an HF receiver tuned to the IF, a DX-394 perhaps. :-)

      This way one would be able to receive FM on the scanner as always, but this would allow more modes to be received. This would come in handy for monitoring the OSCARs.

      Depending on the level of 10.7 MHz going to the HF receiver, an attenuator may be in order. Come to think of it, there's this little switch on the back of my DX-394...