RE: [RADIOSHACKDX394] Lets all post

  • William Barrett
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 16, 2013
      My first question is, is it a strong RF signal, or the LOUDness of the
      speaker?

      Seriously, the audio output stage draws much more current than the entire
      rest

      of the radio's total antenna-to-speaker signal chain. It wouldn't surprise
      me if

      playing it Real Loud would suck the power rail down a bit.

      Some time ago, I bought one of these radios that had the AC power cord too

      damaged to safely use. So, I clipped it off, and tied it back nicely, and
      tried

      a Radio Shack wall wart I had hanging around. The radio played ok, and I

      never noticed if the dial light blinked, but I did notice on SSB and CW, the

      the CW "note" was raggedy and buzzy, and the SSB was garbled too much

      to comfortably listen to.

      So, I put the radio on a 12-volt, 7 amp-hour gel cell battery I had.
      Sounded

      sweet and pure. A battery like that will provide plenty of peak amps.

      I use these radios now on my main station 12-volt buss, which is charged

      by four 2-foot by 5-foot solar panels (with controller) The amp-hour rating

      of the buss is somewhere around 500 amp-hours total. So, needless to say

      my 12-volt rail is VERY "stiff," and there is no flicker... ...in
      anything.

      My entire station runs on this source. (Except for the Drake "B" twins, and

      the Dentron Clipperton-L KW amplifier. That stuff runs on AC...)

      One of these radios I set to 500 kHz, AM, with the audio gain about halfway

      up, and I reduce the RF gain to zero -- the radio becomes silent -- then, I

      advance the RF till I just barely hear some little bit of hiss. Just
      barely.

      And I leave it that way. Makes a FINE lightning detector. Hears the storms

      about 200 miles away. No antenna. It's running on its internal loopstick.

      Which is all you want.

      Once, I tried this with two 394s. One was tuned to 500 kHz, and the other

      set to 300 kHz. Somewhere in the Science it says lighting's RF emission

      is strongest at 300 kHz. I didn't see any difference, so I just go with the

      500 kHz, and it gives me plenty of notice of summer storms firing up in

      the afternoon. The radio begins crackling quite a while before anything

      shows on weather bureau radar on the internet.

      Might be fun to run one on 500 kHz and another on 29.0 mHz. I know

      from other systems, lighning is only heard on VHF when it's quite close.

      Maybe five or ten miles or less. So, the lower frequency would announce

      distant front lines of storms, or general atmosphere "cooking" and building

      for afterneoon storms, and the 29.0 mHz would only crackle when it was

      quite close.

      A pal of mine does something similar. He has an ultra-cheap AM pocket

      radio -- remember the "Flavor-Radios?" -- rigged up with a wall wart and

      no battery, and does the same thing. Tunes to 500, turns the volume

      down till the thing is just barely audible, and leaves it that way forever.

      This also works quite well.

      KW1B

      **

      _____