Off Topic I need Help

  • radiotech750
    Message 1 of 17 , Mar 12, 2013
      I just bought a Hallicrafters S38E. It is recommended that I recap it. I can order the parts BUT I can't dp thr find soldering that needs done. I am looking for someone in the Hamilton/Cincinnati Ohio area that can help me. I would pay someone to do it for me

      Thanks

      Ernie
    • radiotech750
      Message 2 of 17 , Mar 29, 2013
        OK I nave the new caps but I still need someone to do the work for me! Anyone willing? Please contact me at my cell number 5136800097
        text or call

        Ernie

        --- In RADIOSHACKDX394@yahoogroups.com, "radiotech750" <ranger2995@...> wrote:

        > I just bought a Hallicrafters S38E. It is recommended that I recap it. I can order the parts BUT I can't dp thr find soldering that needs done. I am looking for someone in the Hamilton/Cincinnati Ohio area that can help me. I would pay someone to do it for me
        >
        > Thanks
        >
        > Ernie

      • Howie
        Message 3 of 17 , Mar 30, 2013
          Perhaps you would like to join our HAILLICRAFTERS GROUP HERE...

          I`m sure you could find someone close to do the work for you.

          > OK I nave the new caps but I still need someone to do the work for me!
          > Anyone willing? Please contact me at my cell number 5136800097
          > text or call
          >
          > Ernie
          >
          > --- In RADIOSHACKDX394@yahoogroups.com, "radiotech750" <ranger2995@...>
          > wrote:
          >>
          >> I just bought a Hallicrafters S38E. It is recommended that I recap it. I
          >> can order the parts BUT I can't dp thr find soldering that needs done.
          >> I am looking for someone in the Hamilton/Cincinnati Ohio area that can
          >> help me. I would pay someone to do it for me
          >>
          >> Thanks
          >>
          >> Ernie

        • Ernie Rice
          Message 4 of 17 , Mar 30, 2013
            I am a member there and have asked twice and have received no replays

            Ernie

            Sent from my iPhone

            On Mar 30, 2013, at 6:16, "Howie" <esrman@...> wrote:

            > Perhaps you would like to join our HAILLICRAFTERS GROUP HERE...

            > I`m sure you could find someone close to do the work for you.

          • William Barrett
            Message 5 of 17 , Mar 30, 2013
              Check around for "Maker's" clubs. Most of them aren't hams, but lots

              of "Makers" are handy around electronics and soldering irons. Makers

              work all disciplines, not just electronics.

              They often have local "labs" and workspaces with shared group-owned

              tools and so on.

              bbT

              _____

              <mailto:RADIOSHACKDX394%40yahoogroups.com> , "radiotech750" <ranger2995@...>

              > > wrote:
              > >>
              > >> I just bought a Hallicrafters S38E. It is recommended that I recap it.
              > >> can order the parts BUT I can't dp thr find soldering that needs done.
              > >> I am looking for someone in the Hamilton/Cincinnati Ohio area that can
              > >> help me. I would pay someone to do it for me
              > >>
              > >> Thanks
              > >>
              > >> Ernie

            • Ernie Rice
              Message 6 of 17 , Mar 30, 2013
                Thanks. Have done that with no luck bit seems like hams TALK big utmost when someone actually needs help no one steps up
                Just my thoughts

                Ernie

                Sent from my iPhone

                On Mar 30, 2013, at 8:30, "William Barrett" <wbarrett@...> wrote:

                > Check around for "Maker's" clubs. Most of them aren't hams, but lots
                >
                > of "Makers" are handy around electronics and soldering irons. Makers
                >
                > work all disciplines, not just electronics.
                >
                > They often have local "labs" and workspaces with shared group-owned
                >
                > tools and so on.
                >
                > bbT
                >
                > _____

              • David Mair
                Message 7 of 17 , Mar 30, 2013
                  Ernie,
                  It doesn't matter if you are willing to accept the risk or pay, you have
                  no right to impose the responsibility for the work on a hobbyist not
                  already accepting work from others. That hobbyist is probably not
                  accepting other people's work because of clear knowledge of having
                  inadequate test equipment to verify the job was carried out properly or
                  completed successfully. Thus, you are unfair in judging the talking big
                  of hams, there's nothing wrong with it. You know it's a long distance
                  from a large group of people comparing their "I fixed my TV today"
                  stories to any of them being qualified to say "I want to repair TVs for
                  others". It's exactly the same here and you are decreasing your odds of
                  success by going on the record accusing potential volunteers of no more
                  than implicit admission of being hobbyists almost all with an interest
                  in occasional personal repair work.
                  I've done as many of the mods to my DX394 as I have test equipment to
                  verify and done several construction projects but I never considered
                  offering to do your work because I could live with wrecking my own DX394
                  or parts but not someone else's S38E and the payment I could have
                  expected would never have covered the necessary equipment to justify
                  accepting the job. Whereas, investing in that equipment to accept a
                  daily stream of other people's job's is a different matter.
                  IOW, find a shop already accepting equivalent jobs and pay them.
                  --
                  David Mair, AD7GH
                  On 03/30/2013 07:20 AM, Ernie Rice wrote:

                  > Thanks. Have done that with no luck bit seems like hams TALK big
                  > utmost when someone actually needs help no one steps up
                  > Just my thoughts
                  >
                  > Ernie
                  >
                  > Sent from my iPhone
                  >
                  > On Mar 30, 2013, at 8:30, "William Barrett" <wbarrett@...
                  > <mailto:wbarrett%40centurylink.net>> wrote:
                  >
                  > > Check around for "Maker's" clubs. Most of them aren't hams, but lots
                  > >
                  > > of "Makers" are handy around electronics and soldering irons. Makers
                  > >
                  > > work all disciplines, not just electronics.
                  > >
                  > > They often have local "labs" and workspaces with shared group-owned
                  > >
                  > > tools and so on.
                  > >
                  > > bbT
                  > >
                  > > _____
                  > >
                  > > From: RADIOSHACKDX394@yahoogroups.com

                • Tom H
                  Message 8 of 17 , Mar 30, 2013
                    Since this topic has nothing to do with the DX394, please refrain from continuing the discussion.

                    Thanks,
                    Tom ve3meo

                    --- In RADIOSHACKDX394@yahoogroups.com, Ernie Rice <ranger2995@...> wrote:

                    > Thanks. Have done that with no luck bit seems like hams TALK big utmost when someone actually needs help no one steps up
                    > Just my thoughts
                    >
                    > Ernie

                  • Ernie Rice
                    Message 9 of 17 , Mar 30, 2013
                      Really? Just sing all resources to find help. Everyone alms about helping but no one wants to HELP
                      That is my final statement on this. I have received great help with DX 394 questions and just thought soon eons might want to offer assistance

                      Ernie

                      Sent from my iPhone

                      On Mar 30, 2013, at 13:58, "Tom H" <ve3meo@...> wrote:

                      > Since this topic has nothing to do with the DX394, please refrain from continuing the discussion.
                      >
                      > Thanks,
                      > Tom ve3meo
                      >
                      > --- In RADIOSHACKDX394@yahoogroups.com, Ernie Rice <ranger2995@...> wrote:
                      > >
                      > > Thanks. Have done that with no luck bit seems like hams TALK big utmost when someone actually needs help no one steps up
                      > > Just my thoughts
                      > >
                      > > Ernie

                    • Ernie Rice
                      Message 10 of 17 , Mar 30, 2013
                        What? Sorry I don't understand your statement I simply asked if someone would help me because I am no longer able to do it do to illness
                        Please forgive me if I have angered anyone
                        Thanks
                        Ernie

                        Sent from my iPhone

                      • Ernie Rice
                        Message 11 of 17 , Mar 31, 2013
                          I HAVE stayed on topic! The topic is an Off topic request for help with
                          radio repair that I can no longer do! I just feel that when help is need
                          from a member of the group that no one is willing to do so.
                          OK I am done with begging so last post from me on this I from here on will
                          post only DX 394 related items!

                          Thanks to all those who replied
                          I have another resource of people to ask and those are CB ops they are
                          ALWAYS ready to help
                          Have a great day all

                          Ernie

                          On Sat, Mar 30, 2013 at 8:05 AM, Ernie Rice <ranger2995@...> wrote:

                          > I am a member there and have asked twice and have received no replays
                          >
                          > Ernie
                          >
                          > Sent from my iPhone
                          >
                          > On Mar 30, 2013, at 6:16, "Howie" <esrman@...> wrote:
                          >

                          > Perhaps you would like to join our HAILLICRAFTERS GROUP HERE...

                          > I`m sure you could find someone close to do the work for you.

                          Remember that when you think you have it all figured out... you wake up to
                          start all over again!
                          Trust yourself and MOST times you will not be disappointed

                        • w8rmv
                          Message 12 of 17 , Mar 31, 2013
                            Not completely accurate, Ernie. When you wanted your DSP40 modded, I offered to do it for free & you decided not to do it. Remember? Just my knowledge, not just thoughts. 73 - Bob W8RMV

                            --- In RADIOSHACKDX394@yahoogroups.com, Ernie Rice <ranger2995@...> wrote:

                            > Thanks. Have done that with no luck bit seems like hams TALK big utmost when someone actually needs help no one steps up
                            > Just my thoughts
                            >
                            > Ernie
                            >
                            >TRIMMED
                          • w8rmv
                            Message 13 of 17 , Mar 31, 2013
                              Well said, David
                              73 - Bob

                              --- In RADIOSHACKDX394@yahoogroups.com, David Mair <dmair@...> wrote:

                              > Ernie,�
                              > It doesn't matter if you are willing to accept the risk or pay, you have
                              > no right to impose the responsibility for the work on a hobbyist not
                              > already accepting work from others. That hobbyist is probably not
                              > accepting other people's work because of clear knowledge of having
                              > inadequate test equipment to verify the job was carried out properly or
                              > completed successfully. Thus, you are unfair in judging the talking big
                              > of hams, there's nothing wrong with it. You know it's a long distance
                              > from a large group of people comparing their "I fixed my TV today"
                              > stories to any of them being qualified to say "I want to repair TVs for
                              > others". It's exactly the same here and you are decreasing your odds of
                              > success by going on the record accusing potential volunteers of no more
                              > than implicit admission of being hobbyists almost all with an interest
                              > in occasional personal repair work.�
                              > I've done as many of the mods to my DX394 as I have test equipment to
                              > verify and done several construction projects but I never considered
                              > offering to do your work because I could live with wrecking my own DX394
                              > or parts but not someone else's S38E and the payment I could have
                              > expected would never have covered the necessary equipment to justify
                              > accepting the job. Whereas, investing in that equipment to accept a
                              > daily stream of other people's job's is a different matter.�
                              > IOW, find a shop already accepting equivalent jobs and pay them.�
                              > --
                              > David Mair, AD7GH�
                              > On 03/30/2013 07:20 AM, Ernie Rice wrote:
                              > >
                              > > Thanks. Have done that with no luck bit seems like hams TALK big
                              > > utmost when someone actually needs help no one steps up
                              > > Just my thoughts
                              > >
                              > > Ernie
                              > >
                              > > TRIMMED
                            • Ernie Rice
                              Message 14 of 17 , Mar 31, 2013
                                NOT the same thing! This is a different matter! I thanked you for your
                                offer! This is a different radio Do you know haw long i asked on this site
                                for help with the DSP before you responded? I do three weeks!

                                OK nuff said off to my CB friends to ask for help and I bet I can get the
                                help from them

                                And to David. talking about helping and actually helping is different

                                Thanks

                                Ernie

                                --
                                Remember that when you think you have it all figured out... you wake up to
                                start all over again!
                                Trust yourself and MOST times you will not be disappointed

                              • ltdedition500
                                Message 15 of 17 , Mar 31, 2013
                                  Maybe you need to buy receivers that are all ready fixed, and get on a site that is dedicated to what receiver you have. Enough said!!
                                • Tom H
                                  Message 16 of 17 , Mar 31, 2013
                                    This topic is terminated. The whole group is on moderated status. I should not have to take these measures. This list is about DX394s. Know when to gracefully exit from a pointless debate. And no flaming ham-cb inanities.

                                    Best regards to all, 73 in telegrapher's code,

                                    Tom ve3meo
                                  • Howie
                                    Message 17 of 17 , Mar 31, 2013
                                      Ernie where are you again/City,state?

                                      And just exactly do you want someone to do?

                                      Rem you`ll need a lot of postage to send unit to someone not close to youand
                                      then a repair fee.

                                      Theres a good ham where I`m at that can fix just about any radio but hes not
                                      cheap.

                                      I can ask what the cost would be.

                                      I need all your radio particulars.