Re: Newbie from Luton, UK says hello

  • steve95446
    Message 1 of 9 , Feb 23, 2013
      Yep Mark - you definitely need a better antenna. I have external antennas here and a multiband dipole in the loft. Often the loft-mounted dipole outperforms the external ones.

      If you are ultimately going to get back on the air as a transmititng ham you might want to consider something like that.

      You can find out more about the loft dipole at:
      http://g0kya.blogspot.co.uk/2009/01/multi-band-loft-mounted-dipoles-for-40.html

      There are lots of other stealthy designs on the site - just search for "antenna".

      Some idiot has also written a book about Stealth Antennas - you can find a link on the same page ;-)

      Steve G0KYA
    • Mash
      Message 2 of 9 , Feb 24, 2013
        Thanks, Mark.

        I got quite excited yesterday morning when I managed to resolve some CW using fldigi and the 394 just sat upon my desk near the window using it's telescopic antenna. The signal faded away into the noise after a couple of minutes, but it's given me some encouragement to pursue this further.
        I have lots of questions about using fldigi (and others) with the 394, but I shall have to have a read through this group - when I have a bit more time - before starting any new threads.

        Cheers
        Mark

        --- In RADIOSHACKDX394@yahoogroups.com, "R. Mark Barnett" <orgelkraft@...> wrote:

        > Hi Mark,
        >
        > It seems the poor antenna is the enemy of wives worldwide! I have one in the
        > attic (an antenna, not wife) and a long-wire in the backyard. It took a bit of
        > bargaining to get the long-wire up without grief.. or sleeping with the
        > lawnmower...
        >
        > Welcome back to the hobby! I hope you can get a great antenna up, inside or
        > out...
        > Mark B. N8PGV

      • Mash
        Message 3 of 9 , Feb 24, 2013
          Hi Steve,

          Hmmm.. your loft antenna design looks like it might be just what I need! I shall certainly look into that. Thanks.
          I discovered yesterday that even getting a length of RG58 down from the loft into my little room/shack is going to be harder and more problematic than I first thought.
          Why are these things never easy? :(

          Cheers
          Mark