High Z antenna

  • radiotech750
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 1, 2012
      I want to make a dipole for my DX394 using the HI antenna jack. I have some RCA plugs I bought. What is the best way to do this?
    • renton481
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 2, 2012
        Cut each leg of the antenna to half the wavelength of the SW or ham band (or section of the SW spectrum) you want to listen to the most. The rest of the bands should still come in well. Specific lengths are only necessary if you're transmitting.

        The quickest way to make a dipole for a SW radio using an RCA plug is get a spool of speaker wire / zip cord, and rip it down (even 15 or 20 ft. per leg would pull in plenty of signals). Then you solder the other ends of the zip cord to the RCA plug.

        I made one of these for my DX-440 after I got it, and it worked really well indoors, and I also used it when I'd take my radio with me camping. It's about 15-20 ft per leg, about 30 ft overall length.

        Hope this helps.

        --- In RADIOSHACKDX394@yahoogroups.com, "radiotech750" <ranger2995@...> wrote:

        > I want to make a dipole for my DX394 using the HI antenna jack. I have some RCA plugs I bought. What is the best way to do this?

      • Ernie Rice
        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 2, 2012
          Thanks! That helps a bunch!

          Ernie

          --
          Remember that when you think you have it all figured out... you wake up to
          start all over again!