AC Transformer for Dx 394

  • ltdedition500
    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 1, 2012
      Hello,

      I bought a Realistic Dx 394 receiver from the UK and it has the 220V Transformer in it. I am looking to get rid of this chassis mount transformer and put a 120V in. Does any one have one they would sell or know where to get one? Looking for the same factory size. Thanks
    • amos hicks jr.
      Message 2 of 8 , Apr 2, 2012
        Take a 120vac to 12vdc wall wart and remove the cover for better cooling and it will be a good fit. Amos
        To: RADIOSHACKDX394@yahoogroups.com
        From: LtdEdition500@...
        Date: Mon, 2 Apr 2012 00:47:47 +0000
        Subject: [RADIOSHACKDX394] AC Transformer for Dx 394

        Hello,

        I bought a Realistic Dx 394 receiver from the UK and it has the 220V Transformer in it. I am looking to get rid of this chassis mount transformer and put a 120V in. Does any one have one they would sell or know where to get one? Looking for the same factory size. Thanks

      • DavidE
        Message 3 of 8 , Apr 2, 2012
          Hello try this

          RadioShack® 12V CT 450mA Std Chassis-Mount Xformer w/ LeadsModel: 273-1365 | Catalog #: 273-1365

          It should for the 394

          David
        • John
          Message 4 of 8 , Apr 2, 2012
            A wall wart will work. Get one that will put out 12 volt @ 1 amp. will be a good one. also your local Radio Shack should be able to get you a replacement transformer. www.mods.dk has a service manual for the DX394. Good luck & 73.

            > Take a 120vac to 12vdc wall wart and remove the cover for better cooling and it will be a good fit. Amos
            > To: RADIOSHACKDX394@yahoogroups.com
            > From: LtdEdition500@...
            > Date: Mon, 2 Apr 2012 00:47:47 +0000
            > Subject: [RADIOSHACKDX394] AC Transformer for Dx 394

            > Hello,
            >

            > I bought a Realistic Dx 394 receiver from the UK and it has the 220V Transformer in it. I am looking to get rid of this chassis mount transformer and put a 120V in. Does any one have one they would sell or know where to get one? Looking for the same factory size. Thanks

          • Doug Kniffen
            Message 5 of 8 , Apr 2, 2012
              On 4/2/2012 9:14 AM, DavidE wrote:

              > RadioShack® 12V CT 450mA Std Chassis-Mount Xformer w/ LeadsModel:
              > 273-1365 | Catalog #: 273-1365

              It does work.
              That's what I repaired my DX394 with when it died.

              Doug Kniffen

            • William Barrett
              Message 6 of 8 , Apr 2, 2012
                ...and I suggest you be sure that wall wart supply isn't a switching style,
                but a linear model. Switchers can introduce noise.

                - 73 -

                KW1B

                _____

                good one. also your local Radio Shack should be able to get you a
                replacement transformer. www.mods.dk has a service manual for the DX394.
                Good luck & 73.

                --- In RADIOSHACKDX394@yahoogroups.com
                <mailto:RADIOSHACKDX394%40yahoogroups.com> , amos hicks jr.
                <amoshicksjr@...> wrote:

                > Take a 120vac to 12vdc wall wart and remove the cover for better cooling
                and it will be a good fit. Amos
                > To: RADIOSHACKDX394@yahoogroups.com
                <mailto:RADIOSHACKDX394%40yahoogroups.com>
                > From: LtdEdition500@...
                > Date: Mon, 2 Apr 2012 00:47:47 +0000
                > Subject: [RADIOSHACKDX394] AC Transformer for Dx 394

                > Hello,
                >

                > I bought a Realistic Dx 394 receiver from the UK and it has the 220V
                Transformer in it. I am looking to get rid of this chassis mount transformer
                and put a 120V in. Does any one have one they would sell or know where to
                get one? Looking for the same factory size. Thanks

                _____

                size=1 width="100%" noshade color=gray align=center>

                No virus found in this message.

              • kd8phx
                Message 7 of 8 , Apr 3, 2012
                  I would recommend you get a 13.8VDC regulated supply capable of 2 amps. You can find them all over the place (Ebay, MCMINONE, Mouser, etc.) And as one already suggested, do not get a "Switching" supply. The non- switching supplies are sometimes referred to as "Linear". This might be a little overkill, but the 394 or any good receiver, deserves a decent supply. Also make sure the connector is properly arranged to deliver the positive & negative connections into the radio. Let us know what you get. - Bob V

                  Message 8 of 8 , Apr 3, 2012
                    Further to the wall-wart power supply. I once tried a small (nominal)
                    12-volt unit of the non-switching sort, and while the radio ran properly in
                    all respects, the audio quality sound a bit "pinched." Turns out, the small
                    linear supply didn't have the peak power in reserve, and the result was some
                    distortion -- not a huge amount, but an annoying amount -- and a "clamped"
                    limit to total peak energy draw-able. This leads to a small amount of
                    volume compression, or a "pinched" sound.

                    A bigger supply, like the 2-amp version suggested, cured the problem and the
                    radio sounded LOTS better. (I often listen to an oldies station, and the
                    bass and drums in the music will "hit the ceiling" pretty easily for an
                    under-powered power supply.)

                    ...a related subject.

                    For my DX 394s, and for my several scanners, I connect them to an external
                    12-volt (nominal) gell-cell battery. I charge the battery simultaneously
                    with a wall-wart. I have a blocking diode in series with the positive lead
                    from the supply to the battery to prevent backflow during power outages.
                    This is essentially a simple uninterruptible power supply.

                    I believe, somewhat heretically, that 13.8 volts as a "float" voltage for
                    long term constant connection is too much. If you save all your old wall
                    warts, you'll have a few to go through, and with a digital volt meter select
                    one that will deliver a bit less under fully-charged standby-maintenance
                    conditions -- I choose 13.2 to 13.3. This value seems to me to float a
                    gell-cell battery essentially forever without overcharging it chronically --
                    a bad thing.

                    I use a 7-amp-hour gell-cell for small radios like scanners, and the DX-394.
                    For transceivers where the transmit current drain can be 30 amps, obviously
                    this is not nearly enough. I use deep cycle marine or golf-cart batteries,
                    and a much bigger power supply -- again, with a backflow blocking diode.
                    Very important. I zapped a 40-amp Astron linear supply once when the power
                    failed without having a backflow blocker in place (Some power supplies are
                    immune from this effect; but a simple test will determine by either
                    succeeding or by destroying the supply if it is one of the vulnerable kinds.
                    Not a test I care to run again.).

                    Diodes are very handy for another purpose. Each one in series will drop
                    very roughly about a half a volt. So, if you have a large supply with a
                    fixed, non-trimmable, output, you can add series diodes to lose a little
                    voltage in steps. Again, I use 13.2 to 13.3 as my final target standby
                    fully-charged value.

                    Also, the peak current for the higher power rigs comes from the battery,
                    acting like a huge capacitor, and the power supply can be a LOT smaller than
                    the rig's peak amps demand. The diodes will not need to be valued at full
                    transmit peak current values, but can be considerably smaller in ampacity,
                    since the supply doesn't provide for the peaks: the battery does.

                    I hope you find this useful. (Apologies for the length of it.)

                    KW1B

                    I would recommend you get a 13.8VDC regulated supply capable of 2 amps. You
                    can find them all over the place (Ebay, MCMINONE, Mouser, etc.) And as one
                    already suggested, do not get a "Switching" supply. The non- switching
                    supplies are sometimes referred to as "Linear". This might be a little
                    overkill, but the 394 or any good receiver, deserves a decent supply. Also
                    make sure the connector is properly arranged to deliver the positive &
                    negative connections into the radio. Let us know what you get. - Bob V

                    --- In RADIOSHACKDX394@yahoogroups.com
                    <mailto:RADIOSHACKDX394%40yahoogroups.com> , "ltdedition500"