Quick Reception Update For New York City

  • Joseph and Mary Dubin
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 3, 2010
      Hi all,

      As noted by others, solar activity is begining to peak of late and has indeed made the pleasure of SWL more enjoyable. At 0300 UTC, the usually quite 31 meter band was alive with signals. Transmissions were quite clear with some having high but not loud heterdone squeel. Even the interference found often found on 61 meters decreased, allowing for clearer reception from the tropical band.

      What I'm most pleased about is that for the past few years good reception on 31 meters at night was usually limited to the early summer months and was relatively quiet or accompanied by noise by the end of August. That's not the case now.

      How's everyone else finding things?

      73s
      Joe

    • steve
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 4, 2010
        Same here in Arizona, 60 and 31 had booming 30 over signals was up till 5am on 40m while it stayed open...even heard wwv on 2.5 and usually have s8 noise here 24/7. Solar conditions look about the same if not better than thay have the last 2 days, minus a little increase in the xray, so it may be a fun weekend and be quite again tonight...

        Hopefully solar maxima will be upon us by the end of this year

        73s
        Steve
      • Joseph and Mary Dubin
        Message 3 of 5 , Sep 4, 2010
          Hi Steve,

          Hope you're right about solar maxima being upon us by the winter but didn't the new solar cycle slowly begin this spring and therefore shouldn't the peak be in about five (half way through the usual eleven year cycle)?

          Caught an incredible amount of USB on 20 meters last night considering it was around 0100 UTC (9 PM, Eastern Standard) when activity usually ceases by that time.

          73s
          Joe

          Message 4 of 5 , Sep 4, 2010
            Joe, and friends,
            Your comments are right on target! 20M SSB was great last night into deep Asia in the period you mentioned. I heard and worked on my ham rig Kyrgyztan, Tajikistan and Kazakhstan from my location in Kansas.

            There is an All Asian ssb contest going on this weekend so look for lots more activity tonight around the same time period.

            Glad the storm didn't hurt your antennas!

            73,
            Mike, AB0X

            Message 5 of 5 , Sep 4, 2010
              Hi Mike,

              Hurricane Earl lost most of it's punch by the time it got to the New York City area last night so at least our short wire is safe and secure. Do have more wire that I think I'll string up over the holiday just so it will be fresh.

              Was getting lots of SSB from down south but most of the times caught only one end of the conversation. Am sure that was due to the other transmissions being aimed in a different direction.

              73s always,
              Joe