Re: [RADIOSHACKDX394] Re: Reception Update for New York City

  • Joseph and Mary Dubin
    Message 1 of 20 , Aug 1, 2010
      Hi again, HooNz,

      Sorry to learn that the current wave of good propogation is predicted to be short, quick and eventually again to become poor. In the long term, have we finally begun a new eleven year solar cycle and can expect things to gradually improve until reaching it's peak in about five years or so?

      73s
      Joe

      Message 2 of 20 , Aug 1, 2010
        Hi Paul,

        FYI - a few months ago I posted how the producers of "Independence Day" didn't do their homework. They didn't need earth satellites to relay signals to other ships stationed around the globe so the transmissions wouldn't shoot straight into space. With the alien ships hovering within the earth's atmosphere and in relative close proximity of each other, any SWLer over the age of ten would know all they needed was to bounce their signals off the ionosphere and use their own ships as relays.

        Of course, that would have meant that Jeff Goldman's character would have needed to be changed from a professional engineer to some kid sitting by his portable radio shack receiver wih his mother yelling at him to take out the garbage (i.e., "War Games").

        73s
        Joe
      • HooNz
        Message 3 of 20 , Aug 1, 2010
          LOL joe , or it could have been just even simpler like this movie- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frequency_(film)

          But on the other end was really a "mimic" like this- http://www.monstergalaxy.com/lifesize_alien_figure.php

          It's all true!

          paul.

          --- In RADIOSHACKDX394@yahoogroups.com, Joseph and Mary Dubin <mjgardenia@...> wrote:

          > Hi Paul,
          >
          > FYI - a few months ago I posted how the producers of "Independence Day" didn't do their homework. They didn't need earth satellites to relay signals to other ships stationed around the globe so the transmissions wouldn't shoot straight into space. With the alien ships hovering within the earth's atmosphere and in relative close proximity of each other, any SWLer over the age of ten would know all they needed was to bounce their signals off the ionosphere and use their own ships as relays.
          >
          > Of course, that would have meant that Jeff Goldman's character would have needed to be changed from a professional engineer to some kid sitting by his portable radio shack receiver wih his mother yelling at him to take out the garbage (i.e., "War Games").
          >
          > 73s
          > Joe

        • HooNz
          Message 4 of 20 , Aug 1, 2010
            Look at the space weather site again joe , today that 30 over 15400khz was hardly a 7 and with deep fading.

            The consensus seems to be that the cycle is slowly just starting and will be very short in relative terms , but don't forget , this information is only 100 or so years worth and we all know the sun has been there for around 8 billion!

            Message 5 of 20 , Aug 1, 2010
              --- In RADIOSHACKDX394@yahoogroups.com, "HooNz" <okhoonz@...> wrote:

              > LOL joe , or it could have been just even simpler like this movie- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frequency_(film)
              >
              > But on the other end was really a "mimic" like this- http://www.monstergalaxy.com/lifesize_alien_figure.php
              >
              > It's all true!
              >
              > paul.

              And EXACTLY like this

              http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1299530/The-mythical-memories-How-fifth-fondly-recall-happy-events--actually-happened.html
            • Joseph and Mary Dubin
              Message 6 of 20 , Aug 2, 2010
                Hi Paul,

                Had the alien invaders arrived during the last few years the bad propogation would have screwed up bouncing their co-ordinating signals!

                73s
                Joe

                > To: RADIOSHACKDX394@yahoogroups.com
                > From: okhoonz@...
                > Date: Mon, 2 Aug 2010 03:42:45 +0000
                > Subject: [RADIOSHACKDX394] Re: Reception Update for New York City
                >
                > LOL joe , or it could have been just even simpler like this movie- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frequency_(film)
                >
                > But on the other end was really a "mimic" like this- http://www.monstergalaxy.com/lifesize_alien_figure.php
                >
                > It's all true!
                >
                > paul.
                >
                > --- In RADIOSHACKDX394@yahoogroups.com, Joseph and Mary Dubin wrote:
                > >
                > > Hi Paul,
                > >
                > > FYI - a few months ago I posted how the producers of "Independence Day" didn't do their homework. They didn't need earth satellites to relay signals to other ships stationed around the globe so the transmissions wouldn't shoot straight into space. With the alien ships hovering within the earth's atmosphere and in relative close proximity of each other, any SWLer over the age of ten would know all they needed was to bounce their signals off the ionosphere and use their own ships as relays.
                > >
                > > Of course, that would have meant that Jeff Goldman's character would have needed to be changed from a professional engineer to some kid sitting by his portable radio shack receiver wih his mother yelling at him to take out the garbage (i.e., "War Games").
                > >
                > > 73s
                > > Joe

              • Joseph and Mary Dubin
                Message 7 of 20 , Aug 2, 2010
                  Hi Paul,

                  You're right. Even noticed reception a bit off Sunday night compared to the two evenings before. WWV on 10 and 5 Mhz could hardly be heard around 0100 UTC (but was still a 4x4 on 15 Mhz). Bulgaria, Romania and Russia, however, did come in loud and reasonably clear on 31 meters around 2300 UTC, which they weren't able to do as well a few months back.

                  Message 8 of 20 , Aug 11, 2010
                    Joe , dunno if you have been at it , but there are some real good signals and propagation about these last few days , i have spent a good many hours listening due to the waiting for a new processor for the computer to turn up in the mail as i had pulled the comp apart it anticipation.

                    Above 15000khz especially has been very lively at late night early mornings here in Au .

                    Cheer's , Paul
                  • Joseph and Mary Dubin
                    Message 9 of 20 , Aug 11, 2010
                      Hi Paul,

                      So glad to hear that things are picking up for you down under. Reception has been on and off here in the northeast U.S. One night it's very strong, another night so and so and then it picks up again. Same with afternoon DX from Europe, Africa and the Middle East.

                      Might have picked up your country around 2200 UTC a few days back on 31 meters. A very weak signal that was hard to copy but in English with my listings confirming Australia was broadcasting to Asia at that time and on that frequency. Usually, Australia comes in strong in the early morning hours for us.

                      19 meters not as active as it could be in the late afternoon hours, which is supposedly the best time for that band in this area.

                      Let's keep the group updated so they can get a perspective on propagation from two SWLs half way around the world from each other.

                      73s
                      Joe

                      Joe , dunno if you have been at it , but there are some real good signals and propagation about these last few days , i have spent a good many hours listening due to the waiting for a new processor for the computer to turn up in the mail as i had pulled the comp apart it anticipation.

                      Above 15000khz especially has been very lively at late night early mornings here in Au .

                      Cheer's , Paul

                    • Charles Hunter
                      Message 10 of 20 , Aug 11, 2010
                        BBC "network africa" pounding into Ottawa Canada on 6145 at 0330z last nite.

                        Message 11 of 20 , Aug 12, 2010
                          Yes,

                          Broadcasts beamed to or from Africa can be good catches for us here in the northeast. With decent propagation, Channel Africa (which limits it's broadcasts to the continent) comes is loud and clear in the afternoon.

                          73s
                          Joe

                          Message 12 of 20 , Aug 13, 2010
                            Hi All,
                            As we move closer to the time where daylight length draws closer to being the same in both hemispheres, north-south propagation becomes more prevalent. Expect South American/South African/Australia/Antarctic stations to become stronger on the higher frequencies until well after the autumnal equinox. Listen to the space weather forecasts on WWV/WWVH at 18 past the hour on 2.5, 5, 10 ,15, and 20 MHZ for their propagation forecasts sponsored by the National Institute of Standards and Technology. These people work hard to bring a little used service to many organizations, and SWL's.
                            Best Regards,
                            Fred.
                            --
                            My kid fights in the Med, so your kid can party in college.(courtesy USN)

                            You can have peace, or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on having both at once.

                            A Human Being should be able to change a diaper, write a sonnet, plan an invasion, butcher a cow, conn a ship, design a building, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze problems, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, and die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.
                            Both quoted from R.A.H. 1973.