Manuals from UK

  • Anthony F. Smith
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 27, 2002
      The price they are asking for a CD copy is way out of proportion. The DX-394 service manual can still leave you in the dark on many things, especially when it comes to the trouble shooting page...could cover a helluva lot more! It is a good service manual when compared to some other receiver service manuals. It is not worth the money the Poms are asking. Gee if I could get 15 uk pounds for one I think I'd go to the trouble of scanning the entire thing! Make sure that it includes the part No. pages and some pages that show graphic description of parts, 62 pages + page 63/64 on schematic diagram.

      My experience on hard copy service manuals (not user manuals) from the UK has been shocking! Poorly copied, reduced to A5 proportions etc. I will never source a photocopied anything from the UK again!  On the other hand I have had reason over the years to purchase several service manuals from the U.S. and all have been of such high quality that one is hard pressed to tell if they were indeed photocopied! As good as originals and, often spiral bound, US letter size (similar to our A4) If (IF, IF) my memory serves me right? It was a firm called Finger lakes Books or something similar. On top of that the U.S. supplier stated freight rates that would get the required package to me in 5 days! 7 days, or really slow and cheap. I said to myself yeah...right, anyway I live in a non metropolitan area in Queensland Australia, so, I opted for the 7 day rate (which was still cheap by our Australian standards) Guess what? they did indeed arrive from U.S.A. to my door! in 7 days. UK? forget it!

      73
      Anthony (Tony) Smith   Australia
      CQSWN - ARDXC - EDXP - WEWN - DX-394 Group
    • Tom Holden
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 1, 2002
        Hi Tony,

        I don't see that the CD-ROM is out of proportion nor that all UK photocopiers are inferior to US ones.

        COSTS:
        http://www.mauritron.co.uk/ service manual on CD-ROM 15 UK pds = US $24 delivered world wide
        http://www.radios4you.com/manuals.html photocopied owner's and service manual + modifications document - US$30 shipped to continental US
        http://www.radioera.com/ photocopied service manual - US$33 dlvy unknown
        kkibbe@... on ebay: photocopied service manual,laminated copy of the schematic and a CD-ROM collection of DX-394 mods and software - BuyItNow US$21.95 + shipping, worldwide. Wouldn't be surprised if it comes from......
        S2000224 Photocopied Service Manual CDN $6.41 = US$4.06 delivered free to any Canadian Radio Shack store or shipping extra to any Canadian address.

        So the only one that is out of line is RadioShack Canada for selling the photocopy essentially at the cost of duplicating, not including labour!

        QUALITY:
        As for quality of paper, photocopiers and optical scanners, the highest technologies are equally available in developed countries, as are the lowest. So there is no reason to expect that those from the UK should be inferior. One bad provider should not tarnish all fellow nationals.

        Tony, you've used a word in reference to Englishmen that I believe is derogatory. Let's keep the discourse friendly and polite to all.

        Regards,
        Tom
[...]

        Trim all but the core of this message when replying to keep replies from mushrooming in size.

      • Anthony F. Smith
        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 3, 2002
          Hello Tom, yes I could have been dead unlucky. I bought a service manual that covered both the rf-4800 and rf-4900. Trouble was, pages for both models often mixed, some upside down, and not in right sequence when photocopy was done (double sided on A4 paper!). You had difficulty reading them in the A5 format. It was so bad I gave up and eventually obtained an A4 copy here in Oz from a club friend for the DR49. Perhaps as you say, there are better suppliers over there. Though this supplier is prominently featured on the www. Personally, I've never had a problem with suppliers from the U.S. I used to own a camera repair/service centre and had reason to buy many camera service manuals over many years, these U.S. versions were often better presented than the originals. I would say that they must have "cleaned" them up somewhat before copying and binding, cost was always way lower, plus delivery service was impeccable.

          Sorry if that "term" offends, here in Australia we use that "word" as a term of endearment for our "English" cousins.  Perhaps other countries use it in a derogatory way? In Australia we need to add something to that "word" before we mean it in a derogatory manner. Australian English does have a unique flavour to it. The word originates in written form well over 100 years ago in "Austral English" as a rhyming slang for English immigrant, taken also from the term Jimmy Grant ( AE: Pommygrant) with similar meaning. Rarely used in Australia as a derogatory word. But sure, not a problem, I'll remember in the future. Cheers.

          Ps. Reminds me of the time my sister-in-law visited relations in England, used a term in common use in Australia and boy, weren't they shocked!  Same word is not commonly used in Oxford derogatory style back here, though, can have both meanings depending on inflexion. Oh, well that's the way of the World...ever changing.

          73
          Anthony (Tony) Smith