Broadband over Powerline (BT Home plug and Similar in UK)

  • Peter
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 1, 2008
      Hi all

      The subject of interference via "Broadband Over Powerline" hasn't
      reared its head on here yet!

      Are any members of this group affected by this?

      This is interference caused by the latest offerings from BT (BT Home
      Plug) and other suppliers in UK and around the world.

      This has got to be one of the greatet threats to our hobby of short
      wave listening.

      These devices use the whole shortwave frequencies of between 2Mhz and
      35Mhz to transmit broadband signals over domestic house wiring, so
      users can access their broadband anywhere within their home.

      These devices are being heavily promoted by BT (in UK) with the
      ultimate intent of distibuting multimedea content around the home cheaply!

      It should be obviouse that if you inject radio frequency signals into
      unshielded conductors, they are going to radiate radio signals, and in
      fact do very well.
      To counter this the manufacturers have introduced notches into the
      Amateur radio bands to reduce interference (surely an admission that
      they do radiate and cause interference!!).
      This is reasonably good news for hams, but what about Short wave
      listeners. These devices obliterate the whole HF spectrum if you are
      within 100m of a home using one.

      If you are not affected yet, you soon will be, as BT see these devices
      as important for the future role out of TV on demand services. Every
      day more and more people are loosing their ability to use the HF radio
      spectrum.

      If you are already effected by this interference, or are concerned
      that you might be, and potentialy loose your ability to recieve HF and
      LF reception, please do something about it now.

      If you are affected please complain to OFCOM (in the UK only) who have
      the legal responsibility to investigate this problem.

      Alternatively please take a look at the UKQRM group for more information.

      If you do not think this is a threat to our hobby and our right to
      recieve broadcast stations, please do a search on Youtube for UKQRM
      and see what it can mean to you.

      Sorry for a long posting, and hope it is not regarded as Spamming, but
      I genuinely believe the HF and LF spectrum will be all but unusable in
      a year or two if this technology is allowed to expand.

      Thanks

      Peter
      G0RSQ (and SWL with DX-394)
    • Howie
      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 1, 2008
        I have 3 scanners going,2 different Ham radios,$ tv`s in the
        house,stereos,etc.

        I`ve noticed no discernable increase in any noise levels or other
        interferrence.
        > The subject of interference via "Broadband Over Powerline" hasn't
        > reared its head on here yet!
        >
        > Are any members of this group affected by this?
        >
        > This is interference caused by the latest offerings from BT (BT Home
        > Plug) and other suppliers in UK and around the world.
        >
        > This has got to be one of the greatet threats to our hobby of short
        > wave listening.
        >
        > These devices use the whole shortwave frequencies of between 2Mhz and
        > 35Mhz to transmit broadband signals over domestic house wiring, so
        > users can access their broadband anywhere within their home.
        >
        > These devices are being heavily promoted by BT (in UK) with the
        > ultimate intent of distibuting multimedea content around the home cheaply!
        >
        > It should be obviouse that if you inject radio frequency signals into
        > unshielded conductors, they are going to radiate radio signals, and in
        > fact do very well.
        > To counter this the manufacturers have introduced notches into the
        > Amateur radio bands to reduce interference (surely an admission that
        > they do radiate and cause interference!!).
        > This is reasonably good news for hams, but what about Short wave
        > listeners. These devices obliterate the whole HF spectrum if you are
        > within 100m of a home using one.
        >
        > If you are not affected yet, you soon will be, as BT see these devices
        > as important for the future role out of TV on demand services. Every
        > day more and more people are loosing their ability to use the HF radio
        > spectrum.
        >
        > If you are already effected by this interference, or are concerned
        > that you might be, and potentialy loose your ability to recieve HF and
        > LF reception, please do something about it now.
        >
        > If you are affected please complain to OFCOM (in the UK only) who have
        > the legal responsibility to investigate this problem.
        >
        > Alternatively please take a look at the UKQRM group for more information.
        >
        > If you do not think this is a threat to our hobby and our right to
        > recieve broadcast stations, please do a search on Youtube for UKQRM
        > and see what it can mean to you.
        >
        > Sorry for a long posting, and hope it is not regarded as Spamming, but
        > I genuinely believe the HF and LF spectrum will be all but unusable in
        > a year or two if this technology is allowed to expand.
        >
        > Thanks
        >
        > Peter
        > G0RSQ (and SWL with DX-394)

      • neil350vtwin
        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 2, 2008
          Hi,
          I have BT Broadband with a home hub and a BT Vision box & powerline
          adapters. I havent had any problems with my radios which are located
          in a different room & have external aerials.
          Regards,
          Neil.
          --- In RADIOSHACKDX394@yahoogroups.com, "Peter" <yahoo@...> wrote:

          > Hi all
          >
          > The subject of interference via "Broadband Over Powerline" hasn't
          > reared its head on here yet!
          >
          > Are any members of this group affected by this?
          >
          > This is interference caused by the latest offerings from BT (BT Home
          > Plug) and other suppliers in UK and around the world.
          >
          > This has got to be one of the greatet threats to our hobby of short
          > wave listening.
          >

          > Thanks
          >
          > Peter
          > G0RSQ (and SWL with DX-394)

        • David R. Goodson
          Message 4 of 7 , Aug 2, 2008
            The ARRL has an article on this here:

            http://www.arrl.org/tis/info/HTML/plc/

            -Dave Goodson WA6IMC

            > > Hi all
            > >
            > > The subject of interference via "Broadband Over Powerline" hasn't
            > > reared its head on here yet!
            > >
            > > Are any members of this group affected by this?
            > >
            > > This is interference caused by the latest offerings from BT (BT Home
            > > Plug) and other suppliers in UK and around the world.
            > >
            > > This has got to be one of the greatet threats to our hobby of short
            > > wave listening.
            > >

            > > Thanks
            > >
            > > Peter
            > > G0RSQ (and SWL with DX-394)

          • john181177
            Message 5 of 7 , Sep 19, 2008
              --- In RADIOSHACKDX394@yahoogroups.com, "Peter" <yahoo@...> wrote:

              > Hi all
              >
              > The subject of interference via "Broadband Over Powerline" hasn't
              > reared its head on here yet!
              >
              > Are any members of this group affected by this?
              >
              > This is interference caused by the latest offerings from BT (BT Home
              > Plug) and other suppliers in UK and around the world.
              >
              > This has got to be one of the greatet threats to our hobby of short
              > wave listening.
              >
              > These devices use the whole shortwave frequencies of between 2Mhz
              and
              > 35Mhz to transmit broadband signals over domestic house wiring, so
              > users can access their broadband anywhere within their home.
              >
              > These devices are being heavily promoted by BT (in UK) with the
              > ultimate intent of distibuting multimedea content around the home
              cheaply!

              > It should be obviouse that if you inject radio frequency signals
              into
              > unshielded conductors, they are going to radiate radio signals, and
              in
              > fact do very well.
              > To counter this the manufacturers have introduced notches into the
              > Amateur radio bands to reduce interference (surely an admission that
              > they do radiate and cause interference!!).
              > This is reasonably good news for hams, but what about Short wave
              > listeners. These devices obliterate the whole HF spectrum if you are
              > within 100m of a home using one.
              >
              > If you are not affected yet, you soon will be, as BT see these
              devices
              > as important for the future role out of TV on demand services. Every
              > day more and more people are loosing their ability to use the HF
              radio
              > spectrum.
              >
              > If you are already effected by this interference, or are concerned
              > that you might be, and potentialy loose your ability to recieve HF
              and
              > LF reception, please do something about it now.
              >
              > If you are affected please complain to OFCOM (in the UK only) who
              have
              > the legal responsibility to investigate this problem.
              >
              > Alternatively please take a look at the UKQRM group for more
              information.

              > If you do not think this is a threat to our hobby and our right to
              > recieve broadcast stations, please do a search on Youtube for UKQRM
              > and see what it can mean to you.
              >
              > Sorry for a long posting, and hope it is not regarded as Spamming,
              but
              > I genuinely believe the HF and LF spectrum will be all but unusable
              in
              > a year or two if this technology is allowed to expand.
              >
              > Thanks
              >
              > Peter
              > G0RSQ (and SWL with DX-394)

              Hi
              I had same problem when I got my Bt vision digital box and free
              powerline adapters a total wipeout of all my radios (4).

              My solution sold the adapters on Ebay for a tidy sum connected
              homehub to digital box via ethernet cable and computer via wireless.

              This seems to be the solution.

              Regards

              John
            • catboat15@aol.com
              Message 6 of 7 , Sep 19, 2008
                All Ham groups including the ARRL are fighting this system. We know that the
                plan on our present power distribution systems will kill almost all short
                wave communications. We hams are going to congress and committees connected with
                the air waves and fighting as hard as we can.

                We have had enough emergencies lately with hurricanes, tornados etc that
                shows amateur radio supplies vital communication links (often using Morse code,
                which can get through when voice can not) that the value of amateur radio with
                portable and mobile communication systems have been of real value to the
                populations affected by natural or man made emergencies.

                John
                K6SUF

              • David R. Goodson
                Message 7 of 7 , Sep 20, 2008
                  Us Yanks are going fer the 200Mhz system- shouldn't be a problem over here.

                  -Dave WA6IMC